Shoulder injury and heavy lifting

Options
Hi I injured my shoulder this time last year and It's much better now except the odd grumble after lifting and running. I want to start the stronglifts programme but I'm worried the big jumps in weight could be the kiss of doom for my shoulder and there's no way I can do overhead shoulder presses. So basically has anyone done a similar programme with a shoulder injury? How did you modify it to fit round your injury?

Replies

• bwestfall03
    bwestfall03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've injured my left shoulder twice now, first time a third degree separation and the second time shattered my collor bone. Both times I came back from the injury and had to slowly work the weight up. I am suprised you can't do overhead presses and this tells me you have some limited range of motion. Did you work with a PT after your injury? If not I would suggest one as I had one for both injuries. Honestly my left shoulder works better than the right now. It still takes some time to warm up for dumbbell shoulder presses but once it is I have no issues.

Just take your time and let your should determine the amount of weight to use. If it hurts STOP.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I worked through the injury, not detours. Probably not the best plan. What I have been doing though, is rehab work, (look up mobilitywod) plus seeing a chiropractor and physical therapist.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I worked with a physio for a couple of months for the supraspinatus tendonitis in my right shoulder but I've never hired a PT. I have always strugged with lifting anything above my head, the physio said my muscles are very tight there but didn't really elaborate. Shoulder presses with even light weight are real struggle, maybe a PT could spot where I'm going wrong.

If your shoulder has improved then you give me hope that mine will.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Options
    I worked through the injury, not detours. Probably not the best plan. What I have been doing though, is rehab work, (look up mobilitywod) plus seeing a chiropractor and physical therapist.

Thanks I'll look that up. I tried working through the injury because the doctor told me to and it was useless because I just couldn't grip the bar and the pain would shoot down my arm. I told the physio what the doc said and he practically screamed down the phone at me to stop lifting immediately. After stupid amounts of money thrown at it, the only thing that's helped it is complete rest which has been bloody dull but it's worked.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Thanks I'll look that up. I tried working through the injury because the doctor told me to and it was useless because I just couldn't grip the bar and the pain would shoot down my arm. I told the physio what the doc said and he practically screamed down the phone at me to stop lifting immediately. After stupid amounts of money thrown at it, the only thing that's helped it is complete rest which has been bloody dull but it's worked.

Some doctors. Although, my "medical team" knows I won't stop lifting, they just hope that I modify things enough.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, have a frozen shoulder I'm still recovering from.

Just started lifting lightly again.

I would say to get more physio to try to get more range of motion back.

We are very susceptible to re-injury after a first injury.

I really wouldn't do any heavy lifting yet until cleared by a doctor. You don't want to have permanent damage.

Try a sports physician too. They would have more ideas to rehab it safely.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to hire a personal trainer for a couple of weeks and keep lifting light till I'm comfortable with all ranges of movement.