Help! what am I doing wrong?

Options
I have been counting my calories for 6 weeks now and started exercising about 5 times a week doing cardio for 30 minutes, I am doing some strength training and yoga in addition to that. I am at a desk all day so I am sedentary but working on moving around more during the day, my job is stressful but I feel that I have made a huge improvement not to turn to food as comfort, I stay under my calories everyday and the first week I lost around 10 pounds but since then I am bouncing back and forth between 3 and 6 pounds so I've lost a total of 13 pounds as of right now. I'm not giving up, I want to be healthier but I have a lot of weight to lose and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me as to what I might be doing wrong!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Height , weight, and age?

How many calories are you eating?

How many calories are you typically burning exercising?

What is your food diary pin number?
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your diary is "locked with a key"

We have no idea what you're eating.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Maybe overestimating? Holding onto water because you started exercising? People are going to need more information to give you appropriate suggestions.
  • doc0c
    doc0c Posts: 3
    Options
    Generally, weight loss is not "rapid", especially when exercising.
    The first pounds that dropped off are probably water weight, and now you're seeing a more "normal" downward fluctuation in weight.
    Normal people, doing normal things, do not lose weight like the contestants on Biggest Loser.
    Setting realistic goals is key in the journey. I am guilty of wanting my weight to drop off overnight, but there is no such thing as a magic weight-loss pill.

Now, if I may add another suggestion, instead of looking at the numbers on the scale, would you be willing to take body fat measurements instead? Usually that number is the one that tells the story. The scale has no idea if your x amount of pounds is muscle, fat, or air ;)
  • alhb1017
    alhb1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok I unlocked my diary for anyone who wants to see it. I am eating between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. I was doing the couch to 5k and I really enjoyed jogging but have hurt my foot and leg and my doctor suggested I not run at all anymore at my weight which at the time was about 305. So now I am doing the biggest loser cardio workout which has 3 levels of cardio about 5 times a week.
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Same problem.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    First of all, people are probably going to tell you to eat more. Second, there is a lot of processed foods. I see little to no fruits and vegetables. I can't imagine that would really fill you up. You don't have to eat salads all the time, but try adding in some salads and a variety of fruits. Nuts are also a great source of good fats, but have them in moderation. The magazine Cooking Light is a great source for low calorie recipes that taste good.
  • mermaidkrt
    Options
    First off...DON'T GIVE UP!! If this is a minor set back let it be just that a minor set back. Your body may be in "starvation mode" if you are not eating enough. Eat the recommended calories per day so you body has fuel to function. Not eating the necessary calories will make your body think 'I don't know when the next fuel is coming so I better hang on to this.' If you have begun weight training, however minimal, you are gaining muscles and turning the fat you are burning into muscle so that's a good thing. Just don't give up, look toward the end goal and pay more attention to your clothing getting more loose fitting and not so much the beastly number on the scale.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories burned? If you are using the MFP calculator you may be over estimating your burn. Get a heart rate monitor it will give you a more accurate result.

Also, good job on logging everything even if it is not the best, most healthy choice. You are holding yourself accountable. Try to lose some of the high sodium, processed foods. Add more veggies and whole grains and healthy fats.

Be patient. Keep doing the next right thing and you will see results.

Good luck.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You've lost 13 lbs in 6 weeks and want to know what you're doing wrong??
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    13lbs in 6 weeks is amazing progress.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    in addition to what others are saying, i'd say get a food scale and measure EVERYTHING. when i got mine, i was amazed at how horrible i was at estimating portion sizes. plus it can really come in handy for measuring things like uncooked pasta, avocado, etc, which really add up fast if you estimate incorrectly.
    besides a food scale, use measuring cups and spoons as well. i was shocked when i actually measured out 1/2 c of rice.

and try cooking more foods for yourself, don't just eat packaged/processed foods. that way, you have way more control of what goes into your food. someone mentioned cooking light as a source of tasty, healthier recipes. i totally agree!
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 45 days and I've lost almost 10 lbs. My problem is I know one week is a lose, the next a gain...just how my body cycles. I'm 276 and eat 1880 calories, you might be eating too little.
  • alhb1017
    alhb1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice! Maybe I am just expecting too much as far as how much I should should've lost. I definitely will start doing the things you all have suggested.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 45 days and I've lost almost 10 lbs. My problem is I know one week is a lose, the next a gain...just how my body cycles. I'm 276 and eat 1880 calories, you might be eating too little.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    you may not be doing anything *wrong*.

I haven't lost anything in about 6 months, but my body composition has changed quite a bit. My legs aren't super defined, but I have obvious quads and hamstrings with very little jiggle. My arms and shoulders have some really nice definition.
  • Cadaverrae
    Options
    I suggest taking measurements, and not using the scale at all. Scales are misleading, but keeping a record of inches lost can be better encouragement to keep going.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I agree with the food scale. I thought I was pretty close when I was guessing but I was WAY off! What you think is a 4oz serving is probably double that.

An HRM is great too. I've discovered that if I keep my workouts around 20 mins, MFP is fairly accurate guess. But the longer I workout, the farther apart MFP gets from my HRM. So, I use MFP in a pinch but HRM is much more accurate.

Also, I think you should probably eat more. At you're weight and height is unrealistic. I don't think that's even enough to cover what you burn in a day by just being. So, I'd definitely up that a bit.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Wait, you had a McDonalds Ice Tea, but a home made cheese burger? Are you sure? Because if you had a McDonalds cheeseburger the calories, fat and sodium will change.

If you really want this to work, you have to be honest when you do your food diary. Not to us, but to yourself.

Also, you should try eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day. Never eat carbs without a bit of protein.

And it's only been six weeks. If you are working out a lot, you are replacing flab with muscle. Don't give up, keep going, and eventually the fat will start melting off because muscle burns more calories and helps to keep your metabolism high.

Talk to us six months from now if you plateau.
  • nsemrau
    nsemrau Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd like to echo everyone here: you're doing a great job so far, so don't give up! Think of it less as a weight-loss race and more of a lifestyle change. Your weight will adjust accordingly with your lifestyle change.
    Also, good job tracking everything; that's a perfect place to start. My dietary advice also falls along the same lines as others. You may want to start to slowly adjust the types of food you're eating. For example, eat more chicken, turkey, and fish instead of beef. Eat more fruits instead of processed sugar. Eat more vegetables and beans and move away from grain. These small changes have worked wonders for me.