DASH diet

Options
I decided to start the DASH diet. I would love to be friends with other people who follow this eating plan for motivation, recipes, meal ideas, snack ideas, etc. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• dianaw819
    Options
    If anyone has any helpful tips about this eating plan, or success stories, I would love to hear those as well :)
  • WinBattle
    WinBattle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have started reading the book and plan to start as soon as I've read the first several chapters. Please let me know what you think of DASH so far. I want to lower my blood pressure which has been creeping up for years, although it's not hbp yet, it's a lot higher than my usual 106/72 that I had for decades. Of course, losing weight is definitely a goal, but getting healthier is my top goal.
    Good luck.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The DASH diet is such a great diet and has some strong science behind it. Unfortunately, I am not on it at this time because I dont limit my salt, but I just wanted to say best to you cheerleading from the sidelines!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both doing it and loving it. It is definitely something I can stick with long term. I'm doing the DASH Diet weight loss solution plan with the two phases and am on the 4th day (down 4 pounds so far). I actually started last week but fell off the wagon for a three day weekend and had to start over. Now I know I can't cheat even a little during the first phase if I want to see it through and the weight loss and how great I feel are keeping me motivated. I'll friend you!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ITS GREAT FOR BLOOD PRESSURE!
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just bought the book. Plan to start tomorrow. Is there a dash group I'm here?
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just started this as well...On day 2 of the 14 day start. How are you doing with it...? Feel free to friend me~
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about a group...but feel free to add me as a friend. I also just started this...on day 2 of the 14 day start..so far so good...

Just bought the book. Plan to start tomorrow. Is there a dash group I'm here?
    [/quote]
  • BrendaGuz
    BrendaGuz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can set up food tracker for DASH diet?
  • cheemstra
    cheemstra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to set up the food tracker to work with the DASH Diet. I found the DASH Diet proportions for the Calorie and Nutrient goals on the LiveStrong website: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455388-dash-diet-proportions-carbohydrates-fat-protein/. They say that to follow the DASH Diet Plan, you have 27% of total calories from fat, 18% from protein, and 55% from carbohydrates. The diet is based on 2100 calories, although many people will not lose weight using that number.

In myfitnesspal, click on the Goals tab under My Home, then go to the bottom and select Change Goals, then select Custom. You cannot set the nutrient goals exactly to the plan because you are only able to select 5% increments. I set my protein to 20% and my fat to 25%. You can also change the totals for sodium (2,300 mg or 1,500 mg if you have high blood pressure) and potassium (4,700 mg), and calcium (1,250 mg). The problem is that you are only able to directly track five nutrients so you have to pick the ones you feel are most important. I have Carbohydrates, Fat, Protein, Fiber (they require 30 mg, which is double what myfitnesspal suggests), and Sodium.

I'm going to try this to see how it works.
  • deannawbennett
    Options
    I am also on the DASH diet (end of week 3. I set up the nutrient ratio and am doing fine on carbs, fiber, fat, and protein. Sodium is under the 1500 mark as long as we stick to the menu plan I set up each week. I am not getting close on potassium. Any thoughts on how to get this higher while keeping calories at 1200 a day?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I am also on the DASH diet (end of week 3. I set up the nutrient ratio and am doing fine on carbs, fiber, fat, and protein. Sodium is under the 1500 mark as long as we stick to the menu plan I set up each week. I am not getting close on potassium. Any thoughts on how to get this higher while keeping calories at 1200 a day?

You may be eating more potassium than you realize, as many entries here don't have potassium entered. Pretty much anything except highly processed foods ought to have a nonzero value, even if it's very small.

Assuming that you DO need more, try some low sodium v8 or beet greens.
  • echelonokie
    Options
    I see people saying that they're starting or have started the DASH diet, but don't truly see any actual results. Has anyone had real success doing this diet? Success that actually lasted and the weight didn't come right back?
  • halfpintwts
    halfpintwts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing so much about this DASH Diet. Is it easier than most diets? Does it work? Are you keeping off the weight?
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to set up the food tracker to work with the DASH Diet. I found the DASH Diet proportions for the Calorie and Nutrient goals on the LiveStrong website: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455388-dash-diet-proportions-carbohydrates-fat-protein/. They say that to follow the DASH Diet Plan, you have 27% of total calories from fat, 18% from protein, and 55% from carbohydrates. The diet is based on 2100 calories, although many people will not lose weight using that number.

In myfitnesspal, click on the Goals tab under My Home, then go to the bottom and select Change Goals, then select Custom. You cannot set the nutrient goals exactly to the plan because you are only able to select 5% increments. I set my protein to 20% and my fat to 25%. You can also change the totals for sodium (2,300 mg or 1,500 mg if you have high blood pressure) and potassium (4,700 mg), and calcium (1,250 mg). The problem is that you are only able to directly track five nutrients so you have to pick the ones you feel are most important. I have Carbohydrates, Fat, Protein, Fiber (they require 30 mg, which is double what myfitnesspal suggests), and Sodium.

I'm going to try this to see how it works.

This is what I've done, and I just adjusted my goals to reflect the dash nutrients and lower sodium. I find it is really very much the same as any other healthy diet just really watching the sodium. I have not had a problems keeping the sodium low because I've pretty much cut out processed foods. It is doable and healthy, I'll know next month if it has helped my BP or not, at my check up.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip and the instructions on how to set up MyFitnessPal to track DASH Diet settings. My doctor recommended the DASH Diet to me as well. I not excited about having only one serving of meat per day but I'm also getting less and less excited about taking high blood pressure medication too.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing so much about this DASH Diet. Is it easier than most diets? Does it work? Are you keeping off the weight?

It's for lowering blood pressure, there's nothing special about it for weight loss. As long as eat in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    NECRO THREAD
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    NECRO THREAD

Ahh, pffft. Thank you, I didn't catch it. :neutral:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options