cheap lunch ideas that keep you full

Options
Hi everyone

I was just looking for lunch ideas that arent expensive but keep you full. Thanks for any suggestions

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    6oz of chicken and a pound of carrots.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find chicken expensive maybe its just here in Canada
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pack it, or can you make and eat it at home? My current favorites are brown rice 'stir' fry and bean burritos. The burritos take like two minutes to make-I just heat up a can of refried black beans (Meijer carries an organic kind that just has beans, sea salt and water), slather it on a whole wheat tortilla shell/s and then dice up some tomato and onion, with a few splashes of hot sauce :) Super filling, especially if you do two of them. The beans cost $1.29 (two servings but I eat both at the same time) and the tortilla shells I got on sale for $3/8pk. The veggies were a few pennies :)

The rice takes a bit longer, but is well worth it-brown rice (I make the 10 minute kind), while that's cooking I saute sliced carrots and diced onion in a bit of butter. I nuke some frozen peas and also scramble up an egg. Mix it all together and splash with soy sauce. Another super filling meal, and cost wise it's very cheap :)
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you are on the go and in a pinch, Subway has their veggie delight on sale for $2 until Labor Day. Although, I have no idea if this applies in Canada.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pack it, or can you make and eat it at home? My current favorites are brown rice 'stir' fry and bean burritos. The burritos take like two minutes to make-I just heat up a can of refried black beans (Meijer carries an organic kind that just has beans, sea salt and water), slather it on a whole wheat tortilla shell/s and then dice up some tomato and onion, with a few splashes of hot sauce :) Super filling, especially if you do two of them. The beans cost $1.29 (two servings but I eat both at the same time) and the tortilla shells I got on sale for $3/8pk. The veggies were a few pennies :)

The rice takes a bit longer, but is well worth it-brown rice (I make the 10 minute kind), while that's cooking I saute sliced carrots and diced onion in a bit of butter. I nuke some frozen peas and also scramble up an egg. Mix it all together and splash with soy sauce. Another super filling meal, and cost wise it's very cheap :)

those sound great!! I would add cilantro to my burrito, perhaps some avocado too and then I would be good!! YUM!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    oatmeal or beans and rice
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    A stick of butter
  • jennafer32
    jennafer32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    can or pouch of tuna with hard boiled eggs on top of some fresh green veggies. Can add a spoon of mayo or dressing. Keeps me full till dinner time.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    I get soup at Barnes & Noble for less than four bucks.
  • GetSoda
    Options
    I find chicken expensive maybe its just here in Canada

It's about $2.50 a pound here in warehouse stores.

that makes it $5.66/kg when converted.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Chicken is not that expensive if you buy it in bulk - Superstore has about 2kg drumsticks or thighs for $13....Buy the whole pack and grill the whole pack on a weekend (or whenever you have time....
    Freeze it - and just take two pieces every day, throw in a couple of handfulls of salad, a tomato, baby spinach, cucumber........
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Turkey is wayyyyy cheaper than chicken and also healthier. I buy frozen broccoli & cauliflower florets and have them with a turkey breast steak. 2lbs of frozen vegetables are about the same price as 150g of fresh in England.

If I am really skint, I some times have porridge for lunch with frozen berries (I cook 200ml almond milk + 50g rolled oats + 100g frozen berries in the microwave for about 5 mins).

Toast is really cheap and you can have it with baked beans, eggs, salads (as croutons), peanut butter + jam or fruit (buy a sugar free one preferably).

Flat breads can make a million things. Like pizzas for instance ( make a cheap tomato sauce; saute onion and garlic in olive oil and add chopped tomatoes + oregano), add cheese, ham and vegetables or serve with a side salad.

I buy strawberries by the kilo when they're in season which means they are a lot cheaper. You can have them in a spinach salad or with greek yoghurt.

Tuna and eggs are also quite cheap and versatile.

Make your own salad by buying lettuce etc. Don't buy bags of salad as they are too expensive and dont last long.

Rice and pasta are also pretty cheap and you can have them literally with anything. (I had mine with cherry tomatoes, basil and a bit of cheese today).

Cottage cheese is good too and has quite a bit of protein, will keep you fuller for longer!

Also I don't know if they do this in Canada but supermarkets here put foods that are about to go off on sale.

I survived 3 years in uni, I learned the hard way haha. Hope this helps :)
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Non-ad blog (meaning I do it for fun, not click$). I blog my vegetarian lunches, and am satisfied by them. That being said, I have a morning and afternoon snack by choice, so if you're not a snacker, you'd have to increase your lunch portion.

http://veggiebentolove.wordpress.com
  • GetSoda
    Options
    How is turkey healthier than chicken?
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    How is turkey healthier than chicken?

It's a healthier option for people who are watching their consumption of fat.

A 3 ounce serving of boneless, skinless turkey breast contains 90 calories with 10 calories from fat. When the same serving of chicken 165 calories with 35 calories from fat.