Needing help with converting oz to cups

Kimmie0629
Kimmie0629 Posts: 5
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question and if anyone out there read this feel free to answer. Question having a hard time believing that if I have two cups in a wine glass that is of Piña Colada mixed with Gray Goose liquor that the calories totaled alone was 960 I was devastated when I tried to add 8oz equals I cup, please tell me if this is a mistake?:drinker:

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Sounds about right! Pina Colada and Grey Goose have so many calories. Unfortunately it is most likely true!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but, yes, 8 fluid oz = 1 cup.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    A cup is 8 oz. As far as your question...

Well, Grey Goose is (from what I've found) 69 calories per shot - so you'd need to look at how many shots of Grey Goose were in the drink.

You didn't say what pina colada mix you were using, but most articles I found have said that Pina Coladas are among the most fattening drinks you can have - even moreso than a Big Mac. Makes me glad I'm allergic to coconut!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    "A Pint is a Pound the World Around" one of my nutrition professors favorite quotes. A pint is two cups and a pound is 16 ounces, so yeah, a cup is 8 ounces.

That being said, how much of what you put in your glass was actually pina coloda mix and alcohol and how much was ice? If it's a frozen drink, then I'm betting at least half was 0 calorie ice. I'd recommend measuring your ingredients to figure your calories.

Just for giggles, since I have the mix and rum in my fridge, I decided to look at what the bottle says for the recipe.

4 ounces Mix (240 calories, 56g carbs, 0g protein, 2g fat, 0g alcohol)
    1.5 ounces rum (21% by volume, so at 25 grams per ounce, that makes 37.5grams x 21%=7.875 grams of alcohol at 7 calories per gram = 55 calories, 0 carbs, 0 protein, 0 fat, 7.875g alcohol)
    7.5 ounces crushed ice (0 calories, 0g carbs, 0g protein, 0g fat, 0g alcohol)

So for the standard recipe on Malibu's mix, you get a total of 295 calories, 56g carbs, 0g protein, 2g fat, and 8g alcohol.
  • Ok here goes my cup size is a 4oz size and the not even a shot in one glass, and the Bacardi - Pina Colada Daiquiri 10oz 170 calories mix and ice is less than that, so when I put it in the fitness pal I came up with for vodka 4oz - 276 Calories (and I know this isn't correct) and the Daiquiri mix is 8oz and my input was for two 4oz glasses - serving size 1oz number of servings 8 for a total of 480 calories. is this correct?
  • Ok here goes my cup size is a 4oz size and the not even a shot in one glass, and the Bacardi - Pina Colada Daiquiri 10oz 170 calories mix and ice is less than that, so when I put it in the fitness pal I came up with for vodka 4oz - 276 Calories (and I know this isn't correct) and the Daiquiri mix is 8oz and my input was for two 4oz glasses - serving size 1oz number of servings 8 for a total of 480 calories. is this correct?
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Thanks for the post Kimmie0629, I didn't even know what was meant by a cup!!! Don't measure things by cups here...but now I know = 8oz......Thanks

Tx
    :flowerforyou:
  • Your quite welcome, this was the best thing that I could have started, and if you have an eye phone they have a wonderful app for measuring, I'm still trying to get the hang of inputting it all into myfitness, but its worth the effort. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.