Too Many Carbs

Options
So for starters I still live at home and my mom does all of the grocery shopping. When it comes to food to eat at home during the day its almost all carbs. I've grown up with it being that way too. What is a good way to reduce my number of carbs without sacrifices the foods I love?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    do you always eat that much candy? Does your mother not buy fresh produce and meat? You don't have to give up candy and other junk food, but it shouldn't be a majority of your calories. I would start by incorporating more fresh produce and meat rather than eating so much processed foods and candy. I can't imagine you are getting your daily intake of vitamins and minerals. You will feel so different once you start eating healthier. You don't have to eat like a rabbit, but adding some produce will help sustain you longer and give you energy. Once you reduce your intake of candy and processed foods and replace it with fresh foods, the number of carbs you consume will go down.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would cut the cereal out or replace it with a higher protein variety. There's nothing inherently wrong with carbs as long as they're balanced with plenty of fats and protein. Try cutting your bowl of cereal in half first thing in the morning and add eggs, Greek yogurt, etc with it.
  • MustBeThin16
    Options
    My mother does not buy fresh produce usually and only buys the meat for that night of supper. The reason is it's too expensive for us and it's cheaper to just buy junk. Some of this is my own fault obviously for not having self control and using food for emotional support. Usually I eat near nothing or I eat a lot (almost all carbs). And today is not a good representation of what I try to eat for breakfast. I got in a fight with my boyfriend so that's why there's tons of cereal.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try eating actual food. Chocolate bars, candy, and chips are not food.
  • MustBeThin16
    Options
    The "try eating actual food" thing I would love to, but that would require me to buy my own food and as some one right out of high school I don't have that need or capability. I usually only have 15 minutes to eat at work, any advice on how to eat real food in that period of time.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all the time
    I eat them I exercise them off and stay under calories
    I don't believe carbs are bad so, I eat them
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    iv e lost 35 pounds and I eat carbs sp
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    The "try eating actual food" thing I would love to, but that would require me to buy my own food and as some one right out of high school I don't have that need or capability. I usually only have 15 minutes to eat at work, any advice on how to eat real food in that period of time.

1. Talk to your mom about the healthier choices you'd like to make. Help her find cheaper ways to bring veggies & protein into your diet. Whether it's couponing or shopping later at night to get the store markdowns, there are plenty of people eating vegetables on a budget. They don't even have to be fresh! I see frozen veggies in your diary sporadically. Make them a part of your daily routine.

2. Pre-plan or pack your own meals. You are the only person who knows what you have access to during your meal breaks. I can guarantee, though, that you have healthier options than candy and popcorn for dinner.
  • MustBeThin16
    Options
    I don't know if my question of what I can eat that's real food in 15 minutes was taken as rude but it wasn't meant that way. It was a sincere question of what can I eat as a meal in 15 minutes.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I don't know if my question of what I can eat that's real food in 15 minutes was taken as rude but it wasn't meant that way. It was a sincere question of what can I eat as a meal in 15 minutes.

What do you have access to?

Pack a dinner. Sandwiches, burgers, salads, wraps, hard boiled eggs, chicken strips, red beans & rice, stir fry, etc. There are any number of things that you can make ahead and pack in a lunchbox.

If you can't do that, then check out the nutrition information for whatever is closest to your workplace. Check out the number of carbs vs. protein in your favorites and work on making healthier choices.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna in water. It's cheap, it's high in protein. It tastes so gross you don't want to eat anything afterwards.

No, I'm not being rude. It's how I really feel about tuna, but I still eat it cause it is what it is -- cheap protein.
  • MustBeThin16
    Options
    What do you have access to?

Pack a dinner. Sandwiches, burgers, salads, wraps, hard boiled eggs, chicken strips, red beans & rice, stir fry, etc. There are any number of things that you can make ahead and pack in a lunchbox.

If you can't do that, then check out the nutrition information for whatever is closest to your workplace. Check out the number of carbs vs. protein in your favorites and work on making healthier choices.

I try to pack meals if there are thing in the house. I work at Walmart and not a Super Center so our Foods department is super limited. Are those 5 minute maca and cheeses or soups any good?
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Are you working and earning money?

Go to the grocery and get some fresh vegetables and some fish, eggs, chicken breast to start with.

If you aren't allergic to these things that is.

Breakfast

2 eggs cooked in a teaspoon of coconut oil with spinach, or mushrooms, bell peppers.

Lunch
    Cut up a chicken breast into slices and grill it. Make up enough to last a few days.

Bring some of the chicken with a salad you made yourself for your lunch.

Dinner
    Baked fish with lemon and real butter
    Mixed frozen vegetables

Put it on some foil on a baking dish like a package and bake.

Easy, cheap and super healthy. Just one idea to get started.

Drink water
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Canned tuna in water. It's cheap, it's high in protein. It tastes so gross you don't want to eat anything afterwards.

No, I'm not being rude. It's how I really feel about tuna, but I still eat it cause it is what it is -- cheap protein.

This made me laugh! I love the taste of canned tuna...but I'm weird...
  • lynn1982
    Options
    I eat carbs all the time
    I eat them I exercise them off and stay under calories
    I don't believe carbs are bad so, I eat them

She's not just eating "carbs." You're right, they're not bad. But she's eating chips and chocolate bars and candies as meals and NOTHING ELSE!! There's no nutritional value in those things. Why don't you take a look at her food diary before giving an answer like that.
  • lynn1982
    Options

Actually, you do have that need. What you're eating has no nutritional value. Candies and chocolates and chips are not meals. And if you're working, then you also have the capability of eating real food - buy your food. Buy fresh fruits and veggies and fish and chicken and eggs. Make your lunch the night before - make a salad with some chicken or fish or even a sandwich - and then eat that in the 15 minutes you have to eat at work. It's actually really simple.
  • MustBeThin16
    Options
    Thanks for your help every one. I think just having people look at my diary and be disgusted by what I was eating was just what I needed. Thank you :)
  • fivepntr
    fivepntr Posts: 10
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary--maybe it will give you a few low carb eating ideas. Saturday and Sunday I was on the road but I did log mon-thru fri of previous week....... Hope it helps and good luck!
  • MustBeThin16
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary--maybe it will give you a few low carb eating ideas. Saturday and Sunday I was on the road but I did log mon-thru fri of previous week....... Hope it helps and good luck!

Thank you so much. You have been one of only two or three people who have been both helpful and polite about it :)
  • melindafritz
    Options
    carbs aren't bad
    ive lost 35 pounds eating carbs eat them
    exercise them off
    stay under the calories