Daddy I want to have a big belly just like you

Options
My almost 4 year old said this to me the other day "daddy I want to have a big belly just like you". I need to set a better example for my kids.

I'm 40 @285 lbs. I workout 3-5 times a week doing either BJJ, MMA or weight lifting. It's difficult to keep up with the avid competitors. I stopped tracking food a few years ago after a few injuries. I should be a lot further ahead then I am now and it has to be diet.

My goal for this year is to lose 40 lbs.

Replies

• Epyhon
    Epyhon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck and I understand the motivation to be a good role model to your kids.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    your kid is lucky to have a father who is willing to change for him.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    It's great that you want to do that to be a great role model for your kids. But just be aware that trying to lose 40 pounds by the end of the year is going to be pushing it. It'll be at the outer edges of the safe range of 2 pounds a week. Especially considering we have Thanksgiving and Christmas to get through, 2 holidays infamous for not being kind to weight loss It is certainly doable, but it won't be easy and will require commitment and dedication on your part, both with the diet and with exercise. It isn't only going to be diet.

But I wish you the best of luck on your journey to be the best model for your kids.
  • carlogs619
    carlogs619 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My kids wanted an active dad, but my eating and drinking made me lazy. I just turned 40 this year and have changed my habits around, I stop drinking and started eating better and going to the gym more often. My kids love it they have seen a difference in me. So I know you can do it, if you t you n add me I can help and motivate you the best I can.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I don't ever want my daughter to tell me I am fat. That is a huge fear of mine, so I turn that fear into motivation. I don't EVER want to hear her say that! I want her to be proud of her mom!

Good luck to you.
  • mrt64
    mrt64 Posts: 4
    Options
    Im in the same boat m8 keep your focus clear and all will come good.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    My husband lost 100 pounds and it has been wonderful for our kids! We bike and run together, and now they are enrolled in a kids triathlon! It's been amazing! Good luck!
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My daughter said to me a few months back, Mommy your bum isn't big anymore...she's almost 7. I felt winded every time I played with my kids. I have so much more energy now. Best of luck to you.