Cedar Point Walk of Shame

Options
I've heard of the walk of shame at Cedar Point, when overweight people are kicked out of a long line because they do not fit into a ride seat. Sounds horrible and I'd like to avoid it. Does anyone know what rides overweight people can ride at Cedar Point?

Replies

• Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have always been terrified of this. They made smaller seatbelts on the millennium force and the top thrill draster. The mantis is kind of snug, but not too bad. Hope this helps :)
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Pay attention to the signs at the beginning of the ride. Most rollercoasters aren't equipped for overweight people at Cedar Point. Insurance also plays a big deal in it. I'm headed there in a few weeks and can keep an eye open for you, if you like. My lab partner works there during the summer and might know, too.
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also, in some of the newer rides, they have seats out at the entrance of the line, so you can sit in it to see if you can fit.
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    we are going to take the kids to a theme park this week the first time ever my eldest is 21!!! I was too embarrassed to go before cos I knew i wouldn't get in the seats, I went with my friend two years ago and it was fine, this year there will be space at the sides of the seats!!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help in advance of my trip to Cedar Point this summer! Any insight would be helpful, especially about the rides, even if there's not roller coasters, that I CAN go on. I have heard from some people that my best option for roller coasters might be Gemini, but I want to know ahead of time. Thanks for your kindness. I'll look forward to the report!!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good info.!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Found this at their web site; it details their policies and some of the issues brought up here: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/ride_policy.cfm
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    the wooden ones (gemini, mean streak, blue streak, etc) are rather roomy.

millennium, top thrill, and maverick are tiny.

depending... you might be able to get on raptor or mantis... they're kind of in the middle.
  • everybodyhula
    Options
    I just got home from the park! I had a lot of anxiety after talking to my step- mom and reading all these "too fat to ride" posts online before going to the park for the first time since I was a kid. I don't like all the fear behind the "walk of shame" tag line. Calm down. TONS of people chicken out of rides and most people standing in line are too busy talking to their friends (or freaking out inside because they're scared) to notice if you can't go on the ride. The operators don't sound an alarm or call out, "WAIT! She's too fat to ride!" Instead, they discreetly lift the bar and you go ahead and hop out. It's really not that embarrassing, so don't freak out or anything. If you can't go on a ride, just tell your group to go on and have fun- you'll be waiting for them when they pull back in the station.

A little about myself. I am 5'2" and wear a size 16/18 depending. I am pretty well proportioned, which means I have a big booty and a large bust. These are the rides I went on:

-Magnum (Be sure you have on a really secure bra. My left breast flew out and was caught on camera while riding with my dad and bf- I am SO NOT KIDDING!)
    -Gemini
    -Maverick
    -Mean Streak (I fit on this ride, but I had to stand up to buckle my belt because my hips took up the seat. The belt stretches really far. However, I had a hard time unbuckling the strap and my boyfriend ended up cramming his hand down to unbuckle me because I did start to panic a little. In hindsight, I wish I had pulled up the bar, turned sideways in my seat, and unbuckled the strap. You'll be fine).

Rides I couldn't do:
    -Gatekeeper
    -Mine Ride (The strap fit and bar went down, but it was so tight that I didn't want to be uncomfortable. The operator was really nice about letting me out)

GO and have a good time! Don't work yourself up and make yourself feel like a fat loser! They're used to people not fitting and they're also used to people freaking out and not wanting to ride last minute. It's their job to deal with stuff like that and it translates to the same thing for them. People in line truly have better things to do than to pay attention to you. And, hopefully, you'll be with people in your group who love you no matter what :)
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Cedar Point was traumatizing for me last weekend. While I rode some really amazing rides (Magnum, Raptor and Maverick especially), there was one incident that made me leave the park because I was in tears. Just so you know, most rides have a seat you can test in which is a real life saver for me. However, I rode the Magnum many times that day and it was my favorite ride. I wanted to make it the last one of the day. I buckled my seat and was sitting alone so no one would be crammed with me. Key note; THE SEATBEAT WAS BUCKLED AND THE BAR WAS DOWN. The attendant came over and told me to get out because I was too big. I showed her how I was buckled in and how I rode the ride plenty of times today. She told me I must have been mistaken about which ride it was on earlier and told me to get out. Ruined my entire day and experience there. I can't even complain to anyone at Cedar Point, because their rides were really amazing and I feel like they would look at me and be like "yeah this fatty wouldn't fit in it". I hope the best of luck for you. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. If you fit do not let them push you around. :(
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It happened to me. I was mortified. I don't know the exact size specifications but I died a little that day.

On a lighter note, it wasn't long after that I turned things around.
  • Pmarshall123
    Pmarshall123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got back a few weeks ago. That was one of my motivators when I started the weight loss - fit in the coasters. I was successful except for the Top Thrill Dragster. urrrrr. I tried the seat before I got in line so that was good. I need about two more inches for the seat belt to meet. The attendant told me that was the smallest seat in the park. I said ok - I'll be back next year!!!!!!

Good Luck!!

I rode the Gatekeeper, Magnum, Millenium Force, Raptor with no trouble.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Cedar Point was traumatizing for me last weekend. While I rode some really amazing rides (Magnum, Raptor and Maverick especially), there was one incident that made me leave the park because I was in tears. Just so you know, most rides have a seat you can test in which is a real life saver for me. However, I rode the Magnum many times that day and it was my favorite ride. I wanted to make it the last one of the day. I buckled my seat and was sitting alone so no one would be crammed with me. Key note; THE SEATBEAT WAS BUCKLED AND THE BAR WAS DOWN. The attendant came over and told me to get out because I was too big. I showed her how I was buckled in and how I rode the ride plenty of times today. She told me I must have been mistaken about which ride it was on earlier and told me to get out. Ruined my entire day and experience there. I can't even complain to anyone at Cedar Point, because their rides were really amazing and I feel like they would look at me and be like "yeah this fatty wouldn't fit in it". I hope the best of luck for you. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. If you fit do not let them push you around. :(

You need to send Cedar Point an email! I worked there during college and the treatment you received was wrong.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I was unsure about this. Guess once I loose some more weight I'll go back since this isn't considered normal.
  • vickygraboske
    Options
    OMG everybodyhula, How embarrassing! :(
  • fsutracyv
    fsutracyv Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm with you on this. About 8 years ago I went to Six Flags in GA with my hubby (before he was my hubby) and I didn't fit on one of the rides. I was horrified, but no one really noticed what was going on. In fact, when the rest of my group came down off the ride, they just assumed I had chickened out. There was a guy with us that was a little bigger, but proportioned a little different than me so the bar clicked for him and didn't for me.

And, even if the people around you in the park are being jerks about it, just remember that you will likely never see those people ever again. Who cares what they think!!
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The hardest ride for me to fit into when I was at my highest (5'1" 220 -- now 205) was millennium force but I was still able to fasten the strap with a little help from my significant other. This year I could fit into everything. The mine ride is notorious for not fitting people since it is so old (my 6'1, 230 has too long of legs for it). If you try the seats located out front of the line, you should have a good idea.

I love Cedar Point and have been going there for 25 years. Hope you have a blast!
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ha....just noticed how old the thread is!
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    a lot of the times they have a seat out front before you even get in the line to try and see if you fit in the seat. not really what the question was but i thought this would help
  • blackhandsome
    blackhandsome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the walk of Shame yesterday. I was only able to fit in 4/8 rides.
    Most of the rides that have size restrictions have a chair at the front for you to try. I didn't know that until after I did the walk of Shame on the first ride.