On High Exercise days I can't eat the suggested calories

Options
stacksue
stacksue Posts: 19 Member
Hi All,

I recently started riding my bike 8 miles each way to and from work. On some days I also take a class at the gym. This is adding about 1,000 calories to my daily goal. It's not that I don't want to eat more but my appetite does not match with the calorie goal and I would basically have to force feed myself. Should I try to eat more calorie dense foods on those days or just let there be a deficit? I don't want to ruin my metabolism by under eating. I only have my weight loss set to losing .5 lbs a week so I already have plenty of calories.

Thanks!
Suzanne

Replies

• jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the suggested calories at? If your not hungry than don't force yourself, just make sure you are eating every meal and having snacks. If you're feeling weak all the time than eat more, but if you feel good than go with it.
  • stacksue
    Options
    I'm getting the suggested calories from my net calories. So I start out with 1,400 or so for the day and earn 250 with each ride to and from work. Then if I go to the gym I can earn any where from 200- 400 more. I guess I'll just stay under on those days since it's only 1 or 2 per week. I don't feel weak since I still am eating around 1,600 calories.The problem is I see that I have 500 calories left and think, Yes! I will have that bowl of ice cream. I'm sure that's not good even with all the exercise.... :)
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just mean are you using a heart rate monitor? MFP can overestimate calories very easily
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Eat them the next day if you're not hungry enough to eat them all now.

You already have a deficit, even if you didn't exercise, it's important to get enough calories.
  • tessgetsfit
    tessgetsfit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your body. Everyone is different and the net calories that MFP provides is only a general estimate and can't cater for everyone. If you're eating well during the day and have plenty of energy then to me that's a sign of a healthy lifestyle :)
  • dsethlewis
    Options
    Don't eat when you're not hungry. That said, if you're trying to build muscle, you'll have to get your caloric intake up. Do it slowly, adding a few extra calories each day. Your body will get used to the change, just as it can get used to any change. If you're still way off from your goal, LIQUID CALORIES are the way to go. Make a smoothie and cram as many healthy calories as you can in there, then down that baby and you're good to go.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you're taking MFP's numbers, they tend to be on the high side. As such, it's fine to eat only 50% - 80% of your exercise calories.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same problem! I run every other day and do some type of circuit/strength training every other day. I burn about 300 more calories on running days, so I've made it that I'm often a little bit over on strength days and a bit under on cardio days and it ends up evening out to just about perfect. Definitely don't feel like if you burn 800 calories in one day you need to eat it then and there!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the suggested calories from my net calories. So I start out with 1,400 or so for the day and earn 250 with each ride to and from work. Then if I go to the gym I can earn any where from 200- 400 more. I guess I'll just stay under on those days since it's only 1 or 2 per week. I don't feel weak since I still am eating around 1,600 calories.The problem is I see that I have 500 calories left and think, Yes! I will have that bowl of ice cream. I'm sure that's not good even with all the exercise.... :)

Is in within your allotment and you don't have a medical or psychological reason not to eat the ice cream? Then eating a bowl of ice cream is fine. There are plenty of people here that fit ice cream into their macros every day and it hasn't hindered them.

PS, in case anyone looks at my diary - ignore this past week, it's an anomaly. I was saving up for a special occasion, then ended up not needing the calories I saved so I look like I'm starving myself and then binging, lol. And today is yummy pie leftovers day, so that's no better :P
  • stacksue
    Options
    Hmmm I didn't think of that. I don't have a heart rate monitor. I usually go with perceived exertion. Maybe I should check out some other online calorie calculators?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Unlikely you are burning that much doing your cycling, that is most definitely an overestimate, imo.
    I would strongly suggest a HRM so you can see for sure what you are burning. Polar FT4 is a good one.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just mean are you using a heart rate monitor? MFP can overestimate calories very easily

I have found the MFP cycling entry to grossly overestimates calorie burn. On Sunday, I did a 2 hr 33 min ride. My HRM said 1289 calories (average HR 73%) and MFP 1565. MFP, machines and other estimates seem to assume a high heart rate for the duration, which is rarely the case.

I find all exercise estimates are high compared to what I my HRM says.
  • stacksue
    Options
    No real pressing reason. It's just that I try not to eat sugar and "junk food" out of principle. Really my goal is being in the best health possible not losing weight. Ice cream is my weakness. I think I could eat a gallon in one sitting. Maybe I could buy some organic "healthy" honey sweetened version.