Net Calories

Options
Okay so I understand you are supposed to eat no less than 1200 Net calories a day....that being said no judgement but how many NET calories do you actually get per day....how has that worked for you and how much do you workout

I workout 1-2 hours 6 days a week on average and am finding it very hard to keep net calories at 1200. I used to have no problem but the more endurance I get I enjoy the workouts and want to do them everyday but worried about the Net calorie intake

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I NET about 1500 calories a day, which means I usually eat 1700-1800 calories. I workout 4-5 times a week, and each workout is 30-60 minutes. I always eat back at least some of my exercise calories, and it's worked out great so far!
    Just for reference, I'm 5'6", my start weight was 234 at the beginning of January, and now I'm at 194.
    Don't be afraid to fuel your workouts with more food. Have you re-evaluated your goals and calorie needs lately?
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My net calories are all over the place because I shoot for TDEE - 20% but some days I am more active than others, both in everyday activities and in intentional exercise. I just try to listen to my body as much as possible and if I'm really having a low calorie day I try to supplement with higher calorie low volume snacks sucks as nuts/seeds/nut butters, avocado, bananas, EVOO, cheese, yogurt, etc. Just google high calorie healthy foods. Netting a consistent low calorie diet isn't good for you.
  • Megh757
    Megh757 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My net calories are all over the place because I shoot for TDEE - 20% but some days I am more active than others, both in everyday activities and in intentional exercise. I just try to listen to my body as much as possible and if I'm really having a low calorie day I try to supplement with higher calorie low volume snacks sucks as nuts/seeds/nut butters, avocado, bananas, EVOO, cheese, yogurt, etc. Just google high calorie healthy foods. Netting a consistent low calorie diet isn't good for you.

Thanks I should have known you would have a good answer :)
  • Megh757
    Options
    I NET about 1500 calories a day, which means I usually eat 1700-1800 calories. I workout 4-5 times a week, and each workout is 30-60 minutes. I always eat back at least some of my exercise calories, and it's worked out great so far!
    Just for reference, I'm 5'6", my start weight was 234 at the beginning of January, and now I'm at 194.
    Don't be afraid to fuel your workouts with more food. Have you re-evaluated your goals and calorie needs lately?

thanks im 5-7 so we aren't too off
  • SandyT7468
    Options
    I am supposed to eat 1200 calories a day as well. If I am below 1200 I always add to back to within 50 calories of the 1200. I try to eat just over 1200 daily. I do not eat my exercise calories burned. If you stay consistently below 1200 your body could go in starvation mode which will make it harder for you to burn the calories.

My workouts vary by day. My goal is 1 hour a day 5 days a week. Most weeks I exceed that. I typically workout 90 minutes a day.
  • Megh757
    Options
    Okay so I understand you are supposed to eat no less than 1200 Net calories a day....that being said no judgement but how many NET calories do you actually get per day....how has that worked for you and how much do you workout

I workout 1-2 hours 6 days a week on average and am finding it very hard to keep net calories at 1200. I used to have no problem but the more endurance I get I enjoy the workouts and want to do them everyday but worried about the Net calorie intake

I should add that my structured workouts are generally hour- hour half a day and then I also do some sort of labor in my yard usually and so it can be even more than 2 hours but I do the labourous stuff daily except sundays so I guess technically that is just part of my daily activity level
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1500 and eat back most exercise cals rarey net below 1200. don't stress if I do. zig zag dieting. laptop actng up. sorry!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    With the level of exercise you're getting, you should probably bump your calories some. You'll still lose weight, but you'll feel better and have the energy needed to fuel your workouts. Maybe try 1500.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't NET 1200 about half the time. I make sure I consume about 1200, but sometimes my exercise cals make my net negative. Idk. Works for me, I guess.
  • Megh757
    Options
    I don't NET 1200 about half the time. I make sure I consume about 1200, but sometimes my exercise cals make my net negative. Idk. Works for me, I guess.

thats about what i do too lol...glad to know its working for you!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to eat 1200 calories a day as well. If I am below 1200 I always add to back to within 50 calories of the 1200. I try to eat just over 1200 daily. I do not eat my exercise calories burned. If you stay consistently below 1200 your body could go in starvation mode which will make it harder for you to burn the calories.

My workouts vary by day. My goal is 1 hour a day 5 days a week. Most weeks I exceed that. I typically workout 90 minutes a day.

Starvation mode occurs when you have no calories in your system for a minimum of 72 hours. Starvation mode in regards to low calorie diets has been disproven. It however doesn't make it healthy to under fuel.
    I should add that my structured workouts are generally hour- hour half a day and then I also do some sort of labor in my yard usually and so it can be even more than 2 hours but I do the labourous stuff daily except sundays so I guess technically that is just part of my daily activity level

Yes, I agree that you should shift your activity level and start only counting "intentional/structured" workouts into your exercise calories. I also think you are too active to be at 1200 calories or less.

Also, Meg anytime girl! (:

ETA: fixed typo
  • Megh757
    Options

Starvation mode occurs when you have no calories in your system for a minimum of 72 hours. Starvation mode in regards to low calorie diets has been disproven. It however doesn't make it healthy to under fuel.

Yes, I agree that you should shift your activity level and start only counting "intentional/structured" workouts into your exercise calories. I also think you are too active to be at 1200 calories or less.

Also, Meg anytime girl! (:

ETA: fixed typo

I agree I think I need to eat more and deff will only eat back the intentional calories seeing as my tdee is high anyways due to activity level
  • melindafritz
    Options
    my net is 1590
    I do 60 minutes of cardio daily