How often should I weigh myself (for accurate reading)

Options
I have a tendency to want to weigh in everyday, but it can lead me to become discouraged if I gain a pound or two (even if its water weight).

What works best for you guys?

Replies

• jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The only way that weighing in every day will work is if you can manage to not let the swings drive you crazy. :)

I have a Fitbit Aria, which I've linked to http://www.trendweight.com/ ... That lets me weight in every day, but I ignore the actual readings & focus on the trend lines for weight and lean body mass.

If you decide to weigh in every day & don't go to the geeky extent that I do with the Aria & TrendWeight, then do yourself a favor, figure out a once a week average, and then keep an eye on that how that number moves. :)

If you're looking at the actual weight every day, it's going to drive you nuts... Simple changes in water retention can cause day-to-day swings of a few pounds in one direction or the other.

ETA: I believe you *can* use TrendWeight without an Aria... Just get a free Fitbit account, enter your weight manually, and link your account to TrendWeight.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and sometimes an extra time out of curiosity, like tonight after a 8.25 mile run (dropped almost 4 pounds in under 90 minutes :bigsmile: ). I have seen some crazy swings in both directions. If you do this for a little while the spikes up won't phase you anymore. I guess if they do then you should quit, but I think you will quickly come to realize that's just the nature of the beast. People who weigh only every now and then don't know if they see a high or low swing. And because I weigh often I can tell you I am pretty sure about that; there is no certain time you will weigh the least. As obvious as "jaybird in the morning after doing your business" seems, that isn't always the lowest weight of the day and it can be inexplicably higher one day than it was the day before and will be the next.
  • carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always weigh first thing in the morning and it fluctuates about a pound to a pound and a half. It gives me an idea of where I am. I'm afraid that if I didn't do it everyday I'd let myself gain. But I don't drive myself crazy over it...it's just a baseline reminder of where I am.
  • snowflake8am
    Options
    Thanks a ton for the advice!! Keeping in mind what you guys have said I'm going to do it just once a week. Super appreciate the info!!!