Anyone Have a gastric bypass and start gaing weight back?

Options
Hi All,
This is my first time here, just wondering if there's anyone else out there that's done okay with their bypass and now is putting weight back on. I'm not drastically overweight yet but I'm afraid I'm headed that way. Right now I have I have 25 pounds to loose.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents. They both got down to an amazing weight and now they're both fat again.

Change how you eat. Surgery will not fix overeating. YOu can still do this in small amounts and gain the weight back.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are lots of folks on here with the same problem so if they don't happen to find your intro post try searching the message boards and you will find them.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have not had surgery, but a friend of mine did. He lost a lot of weight initially but gained nearly all of it back. The key is to continue to eat the smaller portions otherwise your stomach will stretch (again) to accommodate the larger intake and you'll be back at square one. This is what happened to him.
  • DznyGrlSD
    DznyGrlSD Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have lapband. Lost 80 pounds and gained back 85.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I have lap band. I lost 125lb and gained back 75lbs... Better to get back on track where you are now. Just like other stated, you have to still watch what you eat. I've known a few people who have had gastric bypass and have gained the weight plus some back. Glad you are taking steps to stop the gains.
  • Hulakitty510
    Options
    I had the gastric bypass 10 years ago. I lost an amazing 140 pounds - I have gained back 119 over the ten year period. It is all about changing what you eat. Like they told us in the beginning, it is just a tool. It is not a fix all. If we don't fix our head, we will gain the weight back as soon as we can consume again. I'm on my way back down - as I've lost 10 pounds and I'm looking to lose 80 more. But I'm doing it through exercise and eating right. You can do it!
  • mdauclair
    mdauclair Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm 5 years out from surgery and have just put this weight on in the past 9 months from a medication the doc put me on and didn't tell me weight gain was a side effect. I'm hoping that going back to all the gastric bypass rules and exercise I can get this weight off. I'm really worried because I had 4 surgeries with a perforation and peritonitis before I was ever well. So I'm really motivated!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    if you are going to have the surgery you really need to learn to listen to yourself and your body.

you have to learn when stop is, you have to learn when to eat and when not to eat.

if you have triggers you have to learn what they are so you can moderately control them or cut them out if they control you.

the surgery is NOT A FIX...it's a tool.....

you have to use it smartly and effectively.

You have to track everything, maybe for the rest of your life since you have a predisposed eating problem that necessitated the surgery in the first place...

and you MUST understand your relationship to food.

it is not your comfort, your joy, your fun...it is just food.

you don't need it in abundance or excess...

and if you are going to stop working out...you must stop eating like you still work out.

it's basic cause and effect.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Hi I have not had bypass surgery but my first cousin did and she gained all the weight back and a bit more. She was always a heavier child and adult. She also went though having excess skin removed from her arms after her weight loss. She admits it was because she did not continue to change her lifestyle and she has no intention (at this time) to diet. I truly wish you good luck and much success. It sounds like you are getting a jump on the situation which is a "good for you".
  • Megh757
    Megh757 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have never had surgery however my best friend has the lap band and she had awesome results (never had the desire to be "thin" and was still a little overweight but had reached her goal) she then had a tummy tuck and thought she would keep it off....overtime she ate more and more and the biggest issue was that she was consuming far too many liquid calories and not working out anymore and just being sedentary. she even had them add fluid back. she gained maybe 30 lbs which was alot for her 5 foot frame and has since lost some more back. surgery is a great tool for people but deff requires a whole new lifestyle just like those of us who dont have it. you will lose it back dont get discouraged
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in July 2004. I started at about 500 lbs. I lost down to 230 at my lowest point and have regained up to 284. Now I am here to help myself really get control of my issues. I am a sugar addict and that has never changed. I am so glad I had the surgery. At least now I am at a healthy enough weight that I can get off my butt and exercise. I hate when people look down on others who have had the surgery and act like we somehow "cheated". Those of us who have had it know there's nothing cheating about going through that. It's true I didn't get on top of my emotional eating and food addiction like I need to, but life is a journey. Better to get a handle on it now than to never do it. I applaude you for looking for solutions for yourself. Listen to your own inner voice. :smile:
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Back in 1996, I had a Gastric Bypass. I went in at 393 and got down to around 250 after one year. Not once did I exercise, eat right or as little as I should have. Over time I gained a lot of weight back and found myself back up to 317. A year and 1/2 ago, I decided that I was tired of struggling with my weight and missing out on so much. I decided to change my life for the better and lose weight. So far I've lost 100 and am working hard to lose more. I don't regret having the surgery since had I not, I probably would've been way over 400, but unless you play by the rules, surgery is not a quick fix. It's an invasive surgery not to be taken lightly. It can work if you work with it. However, not to take a risk, losing weight on your own is the best method since the surgery is dangerous.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My boss did one and a year later came back bigger and fatter than ever.
  • aryonketo
    aryonketo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a lapband. It was great at first, but slipped and I ended up getting really sick, losing too much too fast, and when I got it adjusted, I gained back all I lost plus an extra 30lbs. It was awful. I have since changed my lifestyle and eating choices and lost the weight in a healthy matter. I still have the lapband, but it is unfilled and sometimes it gets in the way of eating healthy, but mostly I just live with it. I know a lot of people who have the same issue, and also with gastric bypass. A lot of the people at the weight loss surgery support groups lost weight and then gained it back plus some. Its unfortunate, but it happens yes :(
  • leisaminess
    Options
    I had the surgery in July of 2012 I have lost 100 pounds and lately ive been gaining weight ten pounds, but I am following a strict eating schedule and calorie intake never going over the 1200. I keep track of my calories as much as possible but I am going to start keeping track better of my liquid calories I think it may be part of my problem. I want to stay healthy and so will do what I can to maintain. if you have any tips or tricks let me know. by the way no regrets on surgery.
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, and the longer out from surgery you are the easier it is. I got down to a low of about 240 pounds before gaining 70 back over about a year. Your body adapts and you learn what you can eat. I still can't eat a lot of foods but never had any dumping so I drank a ton of calories.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Change how you eat. Surgery will not fix overeating. YOu can still do this in small amounts and gain the weight back.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif