I Feel Terrible.

Options
(If I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry, I was debating about where to post it xD)

Over the past few days, I've gone back to my disordered eating habits and I've about 2kg this week (which was my goal.)
But today I kinda slipped and got a 4-Piece McNugget Happy Meal from McDonalds (I usually hate McDonalds, but I was dizzy and it was the closest food place at that point.)
I just feel like I'm a failure for getting it. I'm aware it's only around 309 calories for the meal, and I had water with it so it cut out an extra 100+ calories opposed to regular sodas.

Like, is that okay? To do this every now and then? (Not the starvation part, the McDonlad's part)
I know chances are I'm going to gain a kilo or so for eating normally again today.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It's ok! Please don't feel bad. As long as you eat at your calorie goal, you will be fine. Make sure if u use MFP calorie goal for you that you eat back your exercise calories.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow. Give yourself a break, try your best to stay on your calorie goal for the day, if you dont, its no big deal. Do not beat yourself up, this change has to be sustainable and at some points in your life you're going to end up eating out, just make the healthiest choice you can.its definitely ok to do it every so often...
    If you're really bugged by it, go for a workout....
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The only way you'll gain a kilo is if you manage to somehow eat 7000 or so calories during the week above your calorie goal.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating. Everything in moderation is just fine. You have to fuel your body even during weight loss and undereating is just as bad as over.

Every Saturday is my eat anything day. It's a great day and I compensate for any overages during the rest of the week. So long as my week is within goal I am still on track.

Basically, don't be so harsh on yourself...:) GL!
  • afthartospsychi
    afthartospsychi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been told your body can't be deprived. Are we all going to want that cheese cake from time to time, or that bowl of pasta. Or even that beer. You better believe it! And sometimes when your body needs food, and something bad is the closest then you need to eat. Especially if you feel like you are going to pass out.

I have slipped and had my guilty pleasures, or even like your had to do, it was the closest thing I could grab.

It's OK to treat yourself from time to time. It's a reward. And pumps up your motivation again to keep working out to get those points back.

I have done it where I feel stuck with my working out and weight loss, and then I go eat something I know I shouldn't, and then I go and bust my butt. I do it for a couple of months and every once in a while have a treat for getting back on track (something small, nothing big like when I slope down), and it keeps me going.

We all do it. None of us are robots, we are not programmed to ignore what we shouldn't really be eating.

And heck, if grandma is cooking, you better believe I forget my diet in a heart beat. I just get back to working out the next week :)
  • tiggerkat811
    Options
    You can't change the past. You just look forward and get back on track. You're going to slip every now and then, whatever the reason, and you can't beat yourself up for that. You're human. Look at the good you've done and keep moving forward and don't dwell on a little back slide. It's ok =0)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    (If I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry, I was debating about where to post it xD)

Over the past few days, I've gone back to my disordered eating habits and I've about 2kg this week (which was my goal.)
    But today I kinda slipped and got a 4-Piece McNugget Happy Meal from McDonalds (I usually hate McDonalds, but I was dizzy and it was the closest food place at that point.)
    I just feel like I'm a failure for getting it. I'm aware it's only around 309 calories for the meal, and I had water with it so it cut out an extra 100+ calories opposed to regular sodas.

Like, is that okay? To do this every now and then? (Not the starvation part, the McDonlad's part)
    I know chances are I'm going to gain a kilo or so for eating normally again today.

It might be a good idea to get a hold of the starvation part before worrying about the McDonalds part. You ate because you were dizzy and that is not a healthy sign.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm thin, and 300 calories is not even a full meal for me. Sweetheart I know it seems normal to worry about things like this because there are so many other girls doing it too but it's not. You're right, disordered is the key word, and you can get help. Even though you might think you're not "bad enough" for help, it's never too early.Talk to a counselor or someone at school/in your community to fix things before it destroys your life
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can eat a diet of nothing but McDonalds and lose weight if you burn more than you consume. You might not feel very well, but it's possible. So I wouldn't worry about a 300 calorie chicken nugget meal....that's nothing!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of stress eating today!!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    <-eats mcdonalds, loves food, doesn't feel guilty when eating, has no weight problems.

This could be you. To start I'd start eating regularly and in adequate amounts...and start learning that weight fluctuates, period. You cannot maintain a constant weight and you are going to see things go up and down. If you are worried about feeling chubby (which would seem more like a view problem then an actual problem), I recommend talking to someone about it, and fueling yourself and picking up strength training.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    <-eats mcdonalds, loves food, doesn't feel guilty when eating, has no weight problems.

This could be you. To start I'd start eating regularly and in adequate amounts...and start learning that weight fluctuates, period. You cannot maintain a constant weight and you are going to see things go up and down. If you are worried about feeling chubby (which would seem more like a view problem then an actual problem), I recommend talking to someone about it, and fueling yourself and picking up strength training.

Yes to all of this.

You should not feel guilty for even a second for eating when you clearly need to do so.

I would focus though on making sure you don't find yourself at the point of being faint from hunger.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did you get therapy for your eating disorder?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, you probably chose a perfect meal to eat-some protein, some carbs, some fat. Your body most definitely needed it. Please go back to treating your disorder-feeling dizzy and then worrying for eating is a red flag that it's back.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I acquired a new motto last week: don't let the Perfect overwhelm the Good. Congratulations for keeping control! I recommend that you keep something "legal" in your purse/backpack, like Lara Bars, Bison Bars, or boiled eggs for me. Best wishes!
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice above! I'd add that I think the end goal should be finding a diet that you're comfortable with in the long term. That might mean having some nuggets every so often. I've done the deprivation/rebound thing, and I can tell you, it's a recipe for failure. Make changes you feel comfortable with and good about, and you'll be happy with the results in the long term.

Oh, and here's quote that's been motivating me: "People overestimate what they can do in a month and underestimate what they can do in a year". It really underscores the importance of the long view, in my opinion.
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly I know how you feel. Now I keep a serving (14) baby carrots with me as my tummy growling snack. I'm searching for more ideas to help with in between meal snacks. I have stopped quickly into the produce section to grab fresh veggies on the run when I didn't have anything. It was fast, easy, and cheap on my wallet and allowed calories for the day!! Don't give in.. Reward yourself with a pat on the back for being clever enough to beat McDonald's temptation!!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you were starving yourself and feeling dizzy, than mcdonalds would be considered healthy. Mcdonalds meal > zero calories for the day. If you do gain its most likey going to be water weight because fast food are usually high in sodium
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You are young and beautiful!!

Focus on eating well overall, and don't beat yourself up for a slightly off day. Besides that, being dizzy is not a good sign. I would think that would mean you aren't eating your recommended calories (being sure to give yourself credit for exercise). Having healthy snacks in your bag or in your car (something not melt-able, like nuts) is a good idea!
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The McDonald's came after you succumbed to your disorder and starved yourself. All of our cravings would be impossible to ignore after a mode of starvation.

I would recommend that you make and pack simple meals. When you're hungry you eat those and you won't have any cause to stop at the closest food place (which will most likely not be the healthiest) to get food.

I also agree with others that have mentioned a focus on your disorder versus not eating things that aren't necessarily the healthiest.

Eating is healthy. You need to eat to survive. Food is fuel for life. :-)