Knee pain while running, suggestions ?

Options
I started running last spring. Even completed a 5k in June 2012. Around August i started getting a pain in my knee while I was running. I tried taking a couple weeks off. Didn't help. Tried a knee strap. Didn't help. Eventually I just gave up running. This spring I have been walking instead.....but I want to RUN ! lol.....even when i try now for short distances, the pain is there. Its only there while I am running. Or if i walk down steps right after I run. No other time can I notice pain. I have been doing tons of stretching before and after i walk or try to run. I was hoping that all the walking I have been doing would help me ease back into running without pain.
I plan on mentioning this to my dr next week, but thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions I could try before I start the process of 100 dr visits to fix my problem.
The pain is in my left knee, just under my knee cap, on the left side (the outer side). I have had surgery on my left foot....so I am not sure if thats affecting the way I run.
Was anyone ever able to run again after something like this ?

Thanks !!
Amanda

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor as it could be many things ranging from a runner's knee to bad shoes.

Before running again I would clear it with my Doc. Then if he says there is nothing wrong I would look into your running form and shoes. People don't realize how running shoes are important.

You shouldn't run through pain, your body is telling you something and you need to listen!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Go to an orthopedist. Get a complete assessment on it. Have had many people "rehab" with my center due to not addressing issue till it needed surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1 - talk to your doctor

2 - go to an actual running store and have them evaluate your stride and help you pick a good shoe

3 - Strength train your legs and core. This has helped me immensely. If you have strong quads, hamstrings, and calves, it will help protect your knees. Also, a strong core helps you run with good form, which will also takes unnecessary pressure off your knees}

4 - Glucosomine Chondroitin (sp?} I use osteo bi-flex. It's one of those supplements that is proven to work. I know many runners who take it.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I got runners knew a few years ago, went to gp and he suggested running off road or on a sprung treadmill. I got a good treadmill and it went away. I weighed about 220 pounds then.

This time around, I went to a shop that does gait analysis and got some good running shoes, now pain free and I run on pavement. I love running too, I miss it when I'm not out there.

Get your knee checked first and if all fine, get a gait analysis and better shoes, try running off road or on a treadmill where there is less impact on your legs. As you lose weight, slowly work back out to the pavement and see how it goes.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I got runners knew a few years ago, went to gp and he suggested running off road or on a sprung treadmill. I got a good treadmill and it went away. I weighed about 220 pounds then.

This time around, I went to a shop that does gait analysis and got some good running shoes, now pain free and I run on pavement. I love running too, I miss it when I'm not out there.

Get your knee checked first and if all fine, get a gait analysis and better shoes, try running off road or on a treadmill where there is less impact on your legs. As you lose weight, slowly work back out to the pavement and see how it goes.

Edited to add, I cross posted with poster above me
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    1 - talk to your doctor

2 - go to an actual running store and have them evaluate your stride and help you pick a good shoe

3 - Strength train your legs and core. This has helped me immensely. If you have strong quads, hamstrings, and calves, it will help protect your knees. Also, a strong core helps you run with good form, which will also takes unnecessary pressure off your knees}

4 - Glucosomine Chondroitin (sp?} I use osteo bi-flex. It's one of those supplements that is proven to work. I know many runners who take it.
    THIS! Thanks to the poster for saving me from typing the same thing! :drinker:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Outside bottom of the knee almost sounds like an IT band issue but if it has persisted this long it's worth having diagnosed properly.

If your Dr is not conversant with running injuries (most aren't) ask for a referral to a sports medicine clinic.

Shoes have been covered......get yourself a foam roller and learn how to use it (a massage therapist can probably point you in the right direction)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions are really good and I would take them!

The only other thing I have to mention is fore-foot running. I used to run the standard heel-toe way and I always had a lot of pain. Earlier this year I decided to start C25K using forefoot running and I have had absolutely no pain at all so far and I've been running over 2 miles plus walking which isn't a lot but it's a lot more than none! I few years ago I severely sprained my ankle and tore the tendon that holds up the arch of my foot so I wasn't sure if I could ever run again either but it feels good now! I use just regular running shoes and land on the ball of my foot instead of my heel and it seems to be working out great so far!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have had knee pain too. I now run with a brace, not a band, for support. I have also focused on strangth training my legs and core which has helped.

One of the big things I have learned is that if it hurts and I do not do anything, it makes my knee stiff and makes the pain worse. So, I ride my bike, get on a elliptical or get in a pool. Movement without stress.

Good luck!
  • mander8282
    mander8282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help :)
    I did go to a running store last year and got good running shoes. The guy had me try on several pair and had me run on the treadmill to watch how I was running.
    I also tried running on my Sole treadmill to see if that would help, it was just as painful. I just started taking the joint supplement pills. I don't think I have taken them long enough to help yet, but I plan on continuing that to see if it helps. The guy at the running store did recomend the foam roller thing. So I can still try that. the fore foot running thing sounds interesting.....maybe i will try that to see if i can do it or if it helps :)
    Other than that, I have to hope I can find a dr that can help :)

Thank you all again, all of your tips and suggestions are much appreciated :)
    Amanda
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you do try the fore foot running make sure you start out slow because you use a lot of muscles in your lower legs that you don't use as much with regular running. I would recommend usual a c25k app just so you pace yourself. And if it hurts your knee, don't do it. Maybe try water aerobics instead.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a pain occuring when going downstairs can indicate a meniscus issue, this can hurt during running too. The above advice about getting fitted for insoles etc is great,.
    Maybe observe rest days too! Cycling is also a great closed , non weight bearing alternative to running , hope you get better soon .
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Is the pain on the tendon? It could be patella tendonitis (often called jumper's knee) which explains the persistance of the injury and fits with pain going down stairs. Is there pain when you press on the tendon? There are so many things that could be going on that it is really best to go to your doctor
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    Ugh I know how annoying knee issues are! Lateral meniscus repair + removal surgery in both my knees 15 months ago = not fun. I highly recommend you go speak with your doctor before pushing your knees too far. If you're doing HIIT on the treadmill, try doing a slower pace (6-7mph) for a longer time, at least for now. Elliptical and stationary bike are also great if running is too painful, and incorporating strength training specifically for your quads and hamstrings will greatly help your knee also! I would also avoid squatting heavy or doing any jumping exercises (jumprope, burpees, etc.) Hope your knee gets better asap!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    +1 for orthotics. The podiatrist will be able to measure how much your feet pronate and make inserts for your running shoes to compensate for it.
  • saleh1988
    saleh1988 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i got same problem last 2 months,

first i think it is about , it is been time u did not run . so u will get pain

second , u maybe jogging for long time , if u are jogging for one hour , make it 30 mint redcude the time so u can know wat is ur strenght

if u work hard , u will get pain

third , check ur shoes , try to get one so comfort shoes.

fourth , if your whight is alot , then reducd speed and play slow slow. no one be perfect in one day
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Actually it's not proven according to peer reviewed clinical studies:

http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/051010.htm

http://voices.yahoo.com/are-glucosamine-chondroitin-ineffective-3415702.html

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Glucosamine-chondroitin-ineffective-for-osteoarthritis-study

IDEA Fitness member
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Actually it's not proven according to peer reviewed clinical studies:

http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/051010.htm

http://voices.yahoo.com/are-glucosamine-chondroitin-ineffective-3415702.html

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Glucosamine-chondroitin-ineffective-for-osteoarthritis-study

IDEA Fitness member

Those are good articles, and I always enjoy reading your posts on here, but those studies are about osteo-arthritis. I don't think that all knee pain is osteo-arthritis. I'm not a doctor, or any type of expert