How can I help my boyfriend eat healthier?!

Options
I met my bf about 7 months ago and was not aware until several months later that his eating habits are absolutely horrible. He was raised on fast food, junk food, and deep fat fried foods. I was raised on fast food sometimes but better choices, baked, fresh fruit and veggies. I come from a very natural and organic (at least what kind of natural things we could afford anyway) family and we take natural supplements. When we go out to eat fast food he gets big nasty, greasy burgers and a huge fry instead of maybe a smaller burger and small fry? I mean I get that he's hungry but he has diabetes already and I'm just worried about his health because we're serious about each other and I just wanna help. It took me forever for me to get him to take his daily multivitamins and he still won't eat any veggies or fruit. Has anyone ever had to deal with this and how can I help without him feeling like I'm forcing nutrition on him?

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is being a better example. If he has diabetes and doesn't care about his food choices, there is nothing you can really "do". You could try talking to him and telling him that you want him to be around and keep both his feet?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You can't really make him eat healthier, unless he wants to. He has diabetes, has a doctor recommended to him what sorts of foods he should eat? I would start with a frank conversation with him and find out if he is interested in eating healthier. If he is, then maybe you should steer away from eating fast food at all for awhile.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You are going to wait until he decides he wants to - otherwise you're going to go crazy and you're going to drive him crazy. You don't want to be the Nag and he doesn't want to be nagged.

If he wants to eat better he will see your good example and decide for himself if he wants to be healthy - YOU can't make that decision for him.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem with my boyfriend... however our situations are a little different.

My boyfriend works crazy hours on a drilling rig for an oil company which is an extremely physically demanding job and probably burns about 3000-4000 calories in an 8 hour shift. Any time I try to tell him or get him to eat healthy he does not care because he will not gain a bloody pound from it. In fact, he often drops 5 pounds for no reason because most of the time he doesn't get a bite to eat at work since they don't' really have lunch breaks on oil rigs...

The best thing I have done is pack him lunches. i am not the suzy hommeaker type either. A couple times a week, I make him a lunch with a whole wheat sandwhich, granola bars, and some fruit. This way, he literally has to eat it (if he can) while is at work. Haha to making him eat healthy!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I agree with HigherVibes. You sort of have to teach by example.

Just talk up about how much better you feel by doing XYZ.

Does he eat spagetti? Try sneaking some veggies into the sauce. Maybe see if he'll drink smoothies, or more frozen smoothies as "Ice cream"?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Just work on you, in time he'll either come around, or he won't. Outside of that, anything you do to try to help will be a negative in his eyes. Guys just have to do their thing, trust me, no one could get me to do this until I made the decision on my own.

Rigger
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    he's an adult, he has to choose for him self.

keep eating healthy, it can rub off on him. When I met my husband he lived on fast food and processed food, he never ran or worked out and he smoked. now a short 7 years later he has chosen on his own to quit smoking, runs 3 times a week and goes to the gym, he eats much less fast food. but all of those changes are in the last 2.5 years.

Don't become a food cop and comment on his every choice, but don't become a sheep either and follow his poor choices.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have kind of changed my hubby's eating habits, but he didn't have much of a choice, because I shop and cook all the meals. I use skinnytaste.com for most of my dinner recipes. He has really come around and likes what I make. To the point that when we go out, he usually orders a much lighter meal than he would have in the past. He feels better than he did before and doesn't feel great if he overdoes it. And he's started working out too.

If you aren't cooking for him on a regular basis, it's not going to be as handy to change his habits, but I would be careful about nagging. People with unhealthy habits know they are unhealthy and won't make a change because someone is bugging them to. They have to want to themselves. So for now, just try to lead by example and suggest things and maybe have a little heart to heart talk about why you are concerned. :)
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    This is another one of those "you cant force him to be healthy." Situations. My boyfriend eats terribly too not in the sense that its too much but that its far too little, he has maybe one full meal a day and late night snacks like a crazy person! However he knows alot about nutrition and exercise and seriously could probably be in the best shape of his life if he wanted to try.

I have brought up his eating before and he simply said "im happy with myself." I used to ge upset but now im just like you know if he is happy eating one meal a day and snacking and smoking cigarettes ect. Who am i to tell him how to live :) if he wants to live that way and is happy living that way i say let it go, if your serious about eachother you have to have the ability to over look these thigs because as much as you may want to help or change him for the better you can not only he can make that choice. :)
  • MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @MrM27 Thanks for being so blunt about it but no I'm not in the same boat as he is actually. I eat healthy 90% of the time and have PCOS which since you're in healthcare I will not explain. I have been recovering for 2 years from knee problems and it doesn't take a genius to realize that when you have 2 meniscus tears in both knees and a fractured ankle and not to mention the bone disease I had as a kid, that you can't exercise like most people can, if at all. I never go to the doctor or have to worry about things like cholesterol and things like that b/c the doctor told me himself that my blood work is better than his! So no we are not the same.
    Him: Eats horrible food, doesn't control himself around food, doesn't care, not a damn thing wrong with his legs, lazy and has lots of health issues. And yes in my opinion everybody drinks too damn much! :)
  • MissAbbieJay
    Options
    I agree with HigherVibes. You sort of have to teach by example.

Just talk up about how much better you feel by doing XYZ.

Does he eat spagetti? Try sneaking some veggies into the sauce. Maybe see if he'll drink smoothies, or more frozen smoothies as "Ice cream"?

Oh definitely! He loves my spaghetti :) I sneak green pepper and mushrooms in there. I tried giving him a sip of my smoothie and he just wasn't having it. I'll have to try the "Icecream". Thanks!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. Get yourself healthy, fit, even toned. When you become a lean hot stuff and he's still not worried about losing you to a hot guy out there, he's beyond help.
  • MissAbbieJay
    Options
    Lead by example. Get yourself healthy, fit, even toned. When you become a lean hot stuff and he's still not worried about losing you to a hot guy out there, he's beyond help.

Lol thanks!