Goodbye sodas!!!

Options
So I drank about 1 liter of soda a day, on average. I have cut it out COLD TURKEY and feel great about it because I feel less hungry. I added cucumber slices to the water and can't get enough of it.

So now how do I get rid of the headache that aspirin does not take care of. I have heard the 5 hr energy drinks but I am afraid to get addicted to that.

I have 1 cup of coffee in the am and thats about it. Any suggests to keep with it and not give in the craving for soda because of the caffeine?

Thanks!!

Replies

• twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to wait the headache out - unfortunately that's a type of withdrawal. I had a slight headache for a few days after I quit. Excedrin helped (I use the tension headache one).
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. I went thru withdrawal when I kicked diet soda, I was drinking so much of it. I switched ot seltzer or chia water and am much happier, but I did have a headachey few days
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When I cut out caffeine - which I need to do again - I drank a TON of water... like about 1-4 gallons a day. It helped me and it helped to get the headaches to go away faster.

I'm not sure how it works, but it helped.
  • jewel22887
    jewel22887 Posts: 72
    Options
    I quite soda years ago and had headaches it's withdrawl as caffeine is a drug. Drink plenty of water and I suggest getting rid of the coffee as well cold turkey sucks for 10 days or so but then not so bad. Now if I drink something with caffeine I get a headache.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeine entirely about six or so years ago. The withdrawals only last a few weeks, at least for me. Since aspirin doesn't work for you, have you tried ibuprofen or acetaminophen?

You'll start sleeping better soon enough, too. Fewer energy spikes, as well.

Most energy drinks have massive caffeine, too, so read the label first if you pick one to get you through. Tons of water helps, and if you really need a fizzy drink, try one that has no caffeine at all, like root beer or ginger ale. Anything DE-caffeinated isn't really, it's just reduced.

Good luck!
  • alwaysa1stgrader
    Options
    Rather than stopping cold turkey and putting the additional stress on your body, you could try substituting a drink with a lower caffeine content than coffee or soda, such as tea. Your headaches will be lessened and maybe even eliminated and it will be easier to dial down the caffeine.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You know something? You really won't miss the soda. I do on rare occasion have a cup of coffee in the afternoon, and sometimes in my my coffee I add a packet of fat free hot chocolate mix.....28 calories, just sweet enough.....get the little caffeine kick. Enjoy!