Weights vs Cardio... confused

Options
I have been doing research on which exercises to do, to lose weight and get into shape, (besides round). If you go through the internet one site will tell you to do cardio, and another will tell you to lift weights. It's confusing, really. I prefer lifting weights. I know the diet part, but I'm not losing ANYTHING. I need real info on what to do to lose some of this flab, keeping in mind that I am 41, and really out of shape. I know some variation of this has probable been asked before.... but oh well, I'm asking again Oh, and please dont start being snarky with me. I am really asking because I am confused.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I do both. Cardio to get my heart rate up and burn calories, lifting to retain muscle mass and for definition. Lately I've been doing circuit style workouts where I mix heavy lifting and HIIT cardio exercises. I feel like it's been effective and I get a good workout.
  • turkdean1
    turkdean1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am much older than you. I do weights, various types of cardo, yoga, kettlebells, walk, stretch each day and find that works for me. Try a variety of things you enjoy! Just do something i find moving is key. And i did lose the 25 pds i wanted.
  • lsodolak
    lsodolak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You need both weights and cardio. I am *almost* 43 and have noticed that it is alot harder to lose weight than it was even a couple years ago. You need weights to build muscle which will help your metabolism. Cardio, especially medium to higher intensity burns fat and calories. But really, 80% of your results come from your nutrition. Sad, but true.
  • Dawns2early
    Options
    ok, so what I have been doing is about an hour of weights three times a week, cardio also about three times a week. cardio is walking and have just started a little bit of jogging in with it. I have noticed my clothes fit better, but I am gaining weight. was wondering if I should do more, or just wait and see if the weight loss catches up? I really love weights a LOT more than cardio, but I hear its useful lol the diet I am working on, I KNOW what to do, just hard to do it. So I guess I will work on that more. Thanks for the replies! :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    A small weight gain when beginning any exercise program is totally normal and equals out in about 3 weeks. Just water retention.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ok, so what I have been doing is about an hour of weights three times a week, cardio also about three times a week. cardio is walking and have just started a little bit of jogging in with it. I have noticed my clothes fit better, but I am gaining weight. was wondering if I should do more, or just wait and see if the weight loss catches up? I really love weights a LOT more than cardio, but I hear its useful lol the diet I am working on, I KNOW what to do, just hard to do it. So I guess I will work on that more. Thanks for the replies! :)

That sounds like a great program to me. I would keep doing that.

You haven't posted anything about diet. Are you tracking calories? Have you figured out BMR and TDEE? If your clothes are fitting better, that's really better than the scale at this point. In the long run the weight will come off if you are eating above BMR and below TDEE.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    BOTH! 30 min of cardio 30 min of weights
  • Dawns2early
    Options

You haven't posted anything about diet. Are you tracking calories? Have you figured out BMR and TDEE? If your clothes are fitting better, that's really better than the scale at this point. In the long run the weight will come off if you are eating above BMR and below TDEE.

Well I had to actually look up what TDEE is, and figure out my BMR... I tend to eat well below my BMR. Something I need to work on I guess. Always in the past when I have wanted to lose weight I would just eat almost nothing and I never exercised until a couple of months ago. Evidently what "worked" in the past is no longer going to work for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well I had to actually look up what TDEE is, and figure out my BMR... I tend to eat well below my BMR. Something I need to work on I guess. Always in the past when I have wanted to lose weight I would just eat almost nothing and I never exercised until a couple of months ago. Evidently what "worked" in the past is no longer going to work for me.

Your diet is probably your downfall.. If you dont eat enough to fuel your body, it will revolt and release hormones to protect itself. More than likely adding a few hundred more calories will be beneficial. Additionally, you have to consistent in your logging. That means every day and measuring/weighing food. It's very easy to blow a deficit on days you do not log. I would suggest doing a month at eating 1700 calories to see if that helps. You can also adjust macro's to add protein and fats. I liek them around 40% carbs, 35% protein and 25% fats.