Vegetarian friends

Options
Hello,
I am a vegetarian ( but eat eggs)
Since I don't eat meat its hard to keep the protein up(I know tofu is 1 thing) ; rice etc has a lot of carbs and fat
i end up eating 50-60% carbs

I am looking for other vegetarian friends who i can get motivation from ,also look at diary etc see where we can help each other.

Replies

• VeggChick
    VeggChick Posts: 23
    Options
    Hello there,

You mentioned tofu, which is a great way to get protein. But remember you can always combine beans and rice for a complex protein. Eggs are also a good source. I'm assuming since you eat eggs that you're probably lacto-ovo? If not, I apologize. Milk and cheese are good sources of protein as well. Then you have yogurts. Beans and nuts are also sources of healthy fat proteins. There's protein powders as well.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    All types of lentils (brown, green, red), black beans, tempeh, quinoa, and veggies all have protein. There are three cookbooks you should have - they are vegan but I'm not suggesting you need to go that route. However these three have such flavorful recipes - Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Veganomicon, and Appetite for Reduction (the last two are by the same author). Normal food items, most fairly easy to make, and so so good.
  • backtp
    backtp Posts: 23
    Options
    However these three have such flavorful recipes - Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Veganomicon, and Appetite for Reduction (the last two are by the same author). Normal food items, most fairly easy to make, and so so good.

I will definitely look into the books thanks
    Ive been a vegetarian all my life but finding it hard to choose what to eat and what to avoid
  • backtp
    backtp Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm assuming since you eat eggs that you're probably lacto-ovo? If not, I apologize. Milk and cheese are good sources of protein as well. Then you have yogurts.

Yes i am lacto-ovo (didnt remember the name) thanks for the suggestions
  • RingTailedFox
    RingTailedFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, lentils, tofu and quinoa as my primary sources of protein. I also have 0 carb soy protein shakes before and after my workout. I try to squeeze another in before bed to feed my growing muscles. I am trying to build muscle mass, so I shoot for about 115g a day.

P.S. I'm vegan