Should I become a trainer?

Options
sarahrbraun
sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
I've been on my journey for about 18 months now. At my all time heaviest, I was carrying 228lbs on a 5'2" frame. I've lost about 34lbs, and I still have about 60 to go. For the last 6 months I have been working with a trainer, and I have made major progress with my fitness level.

Today I did a brutal 2 hour workout that my current trainer wrote for me to do while he is on vacation. I was so proud that I emailed my friend ( and ex trainer) to brag on my progress. He suggested that I look into getting certified as a trainer, and thinks I would be great at it. He isn't the first person to suggest this.

My issue is that appearance is very important to many people. Would people take me seriously, and want to work with me if they see that I have a muffin top and a belly?

Replies

• kelsieowen3
    Options
    Although appearance is a lot when it comes to PT, your story is reflective of the journey that a lot of people are taking. You could potentially be some major inspiration for someone who is trying to lose weight as well. I think there are people out there who would judge, assuming that you're not "fit" to do the job, but at the same time so many potential people would click with you. You understand the troubles and heartaches that they are going through to lose weight and get healthy, whereas someone who has been fit their whole life doesn't necessarily get that.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you want to, do it. There was a trainer at my gym who was larger than me, but she had already lost like 100lbs and going strong! Everyone respected her because she could kick your *kitten*!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There's probably a market for a trainer who "gets it".

I wouldn't consider using a trainer who hasn't achieved personal fitness.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    DO IT !!! I think you SHOULD. If some folks judge you and think you are not in "shape" to be a trainer, so what??? There will be an overweight person that appreciates your struggle and accomplishments. And then another 'not in great shape' person, then another, then another. I think you will get clients. Who knows...it may be slow at first--but then again, you may have more than you can handle.

I am 58. I didn't want a 20-something trainers. Both of mine have been in their 40's. I appreciate someone who understands our bodies changes after 40.

I am seriously considering doing this myself! HA! Ol' Lady Nana Trainer! I am wondering if the older folks might appreciate someone their age? My trainer says to go for it. But I won't do it until I am ready. and ready for me means all my weight gone as I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. But I will have plenty of photos to show potential clients where I started. I also intend to ask the gym if they would even hire someone my age. If no one would, then I won't bother. Maybe you should discuss it with management before you take the plunge. If they are willing to hire the not-perfect trainer, then GO FOR IT. I personally wouldn't care if my trainer still had weight to lose. As long as they were personal, knowledgable, and capable of teaching me/spotting me....I would be just fine if they weren't a playboy bunny!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would go to a trainer who wasn't in reasonably good shape unless they had an amazing track record/reputation. But then again I'm training mainly for performance not weight loss so you might be more likely get clients who are focusing more on weight loss.

If it's what you really want to do why not start working towards your qualifications while you continue to get fit/lose weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

^^ This, I agree with.
    Also seem to be a load of trainers out there because it is so ridiculously easy to get qualified as a trainer.
    Very few of them are actually decent trainers, in my experience.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I was 250 at my heaviest and lost a significant amount of weight but truthfully....unless a trainer looks better than I do, I wouldn't use them. That's just my personal opinion. Others might.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Also seem to be a load of trainers out there because it is so ridiculously easy to get qualified as a trainer.

Very, very, very true.

But to the OP - go for it.

In my opinion, there is a market for trainers who do not have abs/buns of steel or huge "guns".

I think that, not having a perfect body, may tend to make you less intimidating to people who also do not have perfect bodies (aka, the millions of people that gyms want to attract and keep).

I don't think that I would stick with a trainer who was less fit than I am for long-term, but I would be totally cool with being introduced to the facility, equipment, classes and taught/assisted with basic routines by someone who "looked like me". When I am progressing so well that my goals change from "get fit" to something more specific - I'd find a new trainer who specialized in my new goals.

But I think there is value in not intimidating the new people too - and attitude/enthusiasm would be key to your success. I think that if you could explain your value to a gym owner - you could find work pretty easily and keep clients happy.

Good luck!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could find a niche for yourself. Sure, there are people who wouldn't hire you because they want someone who has reached the same end-goal they're going for, but I believe there might be people who would. It's about how you sell yourself and to who. There are probably a lot of people out there who really want someone who gets it, who has experience losing a good amount of weight. It would probably be someone who didn't walk up to you with immediate dreams of bikini competitions (not saying that can't be in the future for either of you, but that would be a hard sell right now ) So anyway, I'd say think about it and if it's something you really want...go for it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

^^ This, I agree with.
    Sadly if one can pass the test, they can get a "certification". Here's my input: I know and have heard lots of people say "I could be a trainer" when it's just much more than just inspiring and working people out.
    What kind of program do you write for someone who has a longintudinal tear of the menicus and an included subluxation of a hemiplagic shoulder?
    Most trainers don't get to train healthy people................they are training novice, overweight/obese, injury recovering, etc. people. Lack of education on actual maladies that plague these people can result in injury.
    Athletes are easy to train. You just push them harder at whatever ability they have.
    Should the OP go for it? I say go for it IF you're really willing to put in the time and effort to actually understand physiology, kinesiology and have some education learned in sports injury.
    Also you have to be a pretty good sales person. Trust when I say that most people DON'T look for a trainer. A trainer creates their own list of clientele through advertisement, free sessions, word of mouth, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dejalo
    dejalo Posts: 8
    Options
    I would rather have a trainer who started out unhealthy and made a complete transformation rather than someone who has always been on the right track. That said, I would prefer a trainer who can lead by example (and is a vision of success physically and mentally, not just mentally). I think a lot of people would find an overweight trainer to be less credible than one at a healthy weight -- for me, it would be like hiring an obese nutritionist. This isn't meant to be hurtful. I think you should become a trainer if that's what you want, and I think it's smart of you to recognize that there may be limitations to a career in fitness at the present moment.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options

^^ This, I agree with.
    Sadly if one can pass the test, they can get a "certification". Here's my input: I know and have heard lots of people say "I could be a trainer" when it's just much more than just inspiring and working people out.
    What kind of program do you write for someone who has a longintudinal tear of the menicus and an included subluxation of a hemiplagic shoulder?
    Most trainers don't get to train healthy people................they are training novice, overweight/obese, injury recovering, etc. people. Lack of education on actual maladies that plague these people can result in injury.
    Athletes are easy to train. You just push them harder at whatever ability they have.
    Should the OP go for it? I say go for it IF you're really willing to put in the time and effort to actually understand physiology, kinesiology and have some education learned in sports injury.
    Also you have to be a pretty good sales person. Trust when I say that most people DON'T look for a trainer. A trainer creates their own list of clientele through advertisement, free sessions, word of mouth, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

^^^This,
    I'm not a trainer but as a cop I hear this all the time too. People always tell me "I could be a cop" either because they "know" my profession based on what they have seen on TV or because they have talked to a cop once or twice and think they know what is needed.
    Same here, it's not all the glamour and easy parts. There is a lot to know.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

Do you find that people commonly seek this sort of advice from a personal trainer? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_trainer)

Given my, admittedly limited, experience with personal trainers - I find it pretty implausible that anyone would go to a personal trainer instead of a athletic trainer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_trainer) or more probably a physical therapist for this sort of advice.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to my slimming world groups, I didn't expect the person leading them to be a svelte size 8. It was nice to see bigger ladies there, as they had been there and knew what you were going through, what struggles you would face, etc.

I'd feel exactly the same about a personal trainer. Someone that you can respect, get on with and that motivates you is far more important than personal appearance, and anyone that judges you based on that is probably not going to be nice to teach anyway.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

^^ This, I agree with.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't even trust certified trainers to help me get stronger without ****ing me up for work (singing opera). Pretty clueless bunch as a whole, and the ones I've met glaze over if you mention anything that might force them to come up with a new and inventive program.

When I see your posts with that signature, I always have to remind myself I know you are quite astute based on reading your previous advice despite being a certified personal trainer.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    OP, I'll be frank -- right this moment I wouldn't let you train me, because I think our fitness goals differ vastly. 18 months may seem a long time, but you're still at the beginning of your journey. You're doing a great job, you're transforming yourself and you learn new stuff all the time, you greatly enjoy it and it's understandable that you want to share that "buff" with other people. It's a good thing! Still, a long road ahead of you, so if you think that being a personal trainer is your thing -- use that time wisely. Work on yourself, educate yourself, read, research, maybe consider getting a formal education in fitness if it's within your reach. Lay out a "business plan" and execute it. You want it? DO IT! Just keep in mind, training and enjoying it is one thing, being a pro and helping others achieve their goals is another.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First things first, if you're going to do it, do it right. As noted above, it takes a lot more than enthusiasm for being fit Your clients deserve someone who knows their field. And yes, there are a lot of injuries and imbalances that are undiagnosed and misdiagnosed. You would owe it to your client to know when you're not the answer to their problem.

Also, how are you going to feel about the client that complains the entire session, puts in half the effort you know they can, and then goes and kills a box of girl scout cookies afterward? And then complains that you aren't an effective trainer?

Whenever I'm going to do something that I'm not sure about, I write out the pros and cons. Are you going to try to work for a big box gym or go out on your own? Very different requirements, environments and results.

I was told I can sing very well (and by some very respected sources), but I knew I wasn't willing to put in the work to make it as a singer.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    why don't you find a course and take a few classes? talk to other trainers and see what the work actually entails? do you *truthfully* have what it takes to help others achieve their goals? cause to be honest, no, I wouldn't listen to someone who looked like you (or i wouldn't listen to someone who looks like me, either!). Just like I wouldn't go to a doctor who is visibly overweight and/or smokes. Becuase i think it's not only about "what you say" but it's also about "what you do" (or did, to bring you to this point). and obviously the fact that you HAVE started a journey means you will be able to help people who are also starting

In your shoes, I would get the info i need, make sure it's what i want, and start the training. while you're training, continue to get stronger and healthier. hopefully by the time you are certified, you will "look the part":smile:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    why don't you find a course and take a few classes? talk to other trainers and see what the work actually entails? do you *truthfully* have what it takes to help others achieve their goals? cause to be honest, no, I wouldn't listen to someone who looked like you (or i wouldn't listen to someone who looks like me, either!). Just like I wouldn't go to a doctor who is visibly overweight and/or smokes. Becuase i think it's not only about "what you say" but it's also about "what you do" (or did, to bring you to this point). and obviously the fact that you HAVE started a journey means you will be able to help people who are also starting

In your shoes, I would get the info i need, make sure it's what i want, and start the training. while you're training, continue to get stronger and healthier. hopefully by the time you are certified, you will "look the part":smile:

I really don't understand that. It isn't remotely rational.

If there are only two barbers in a town, the one with bad hair is the good one. Could really care less what a trainer looks like. Show me the clients.
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I was 250 at my heaviest and lost a significant amount of weight but truthfully....unless a trainer looks better than I do, I wouldn't use them. That's just my personal opinion. Others might.

^
    This all day long...although reputation and past results do also count.