Newbie with Fibromyalgia

Options
Hello all....I am a newbie. Well somewhat anyway since I am on my second week of myfitnesspal. I am almost 51 years old married to the love of my life and love my life with the exception that I need to lose 50 pounds and I have fibromyalgia. If I could find some people that have fibro as well would be great but I have a beautiful daughter who is on the journey with me and one of my greatest cheerleader's. She is wanting to lose 22 pounds but I think she is beautiful just the way she is....

Replies

• MissMaggie102
    Options
    I don't have fibro, but I have MS and know how the chronic pain makes it all more difficult. I lost weight before kind of as a distraction to dealing with the diagnosis and it worked, but now I need to get back in it and just make it part of my life and not an avoidance of other things. Good luck! Add me if you want, I want to lose 25-30 pounds.
  • dizneedana
    dizneedana Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have fibro also and you can friend me. I have a ton of weight to lose so I will be here for quite a while! ;-)
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i have fibro--diagnosed seven years ago at age 20--and have spent the past year & a half establishing a pharmaceutical-free, holistic regimen for treatment/maintenance. exercise, nutrition, massage therapy & vitamin/mineral supplementation have made the difference between barely being able to get out of bed (as i was two years ago) and living a full, busy, highly-active life.

the last straw for me was gaining 35 pounds in 4 months (july-october 2011) on a medication that did nothing to help my fibro symptoms--just made me a substantially larger, emotionally wrecked version of my pain-filled self. i looked back over the preceding five years--the dozen+ doctors, the slew of medications (often several on top of each other), the horrible side effects, the expense, the experimental treatments, the people telling me it was all in my head, the way my quality of life was all but destroyed--and i thought, "this can't keep happening." so i decided to break the cycle, quit the meds (with the supervision of an osteopathic doctor) and be patient with myself as i tried to put my life back together. i was tired of fibromyalgia being an excuse for everything that was wrong in my life.

i know going pharmaceutical-free isn't for everyone, and i totally respect others' decisions to remain on medications, especially if they're truly helping. but i totally get the struggles, the pain, the exhaustion (i have chronic fatigue syndrome, too), the misery, the frustration, the feeling like you sometimes want to push the pause button on life just to have a chance to catch up. i still have good days and bad days, but overall the lifestyle i've chosen has made so much of a difference.
  • DallastheGemini
    DallastheGemini Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't have Fibromyalgia but I do suffer from chronic severe and debilitating pain due to a botched spine surgery I had when I was 15, I'm 27 now. Unfortunately I went from being a sports freak to someone who is almost completely sedentary because of the pain and limited mobility. I'd love to be friends if you're interested but I completely understand if you're not. :)
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    hello :) i have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. i used to do a lot of yoga which i'm trying to get back into but owwww everything hurts at the moment!!

i'm new here and would like to lose around 40lb (but i 'd be happy with 30 something and less wobbly bits!!). add me if you like :)
  • mrsschmitty722
    mrsschmitty722 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too have Fibro. Was diagnosed 12 years ago. I've also stopped my meds, as they weren't helping and was only putting weight on me. Feel free to ad me also,any of you for that matter. I just joined and am starting this weight loss journey again..
    Good Luck everyone!!
    Crystal