Horse Riding

Options
Hey, I am going horse ridiing this weekend and wondered if anyone knows approx how many calories would be burned from this? It will just be a horse trek as opposed to a canter/trot.

If you need more info, I weigh 213 lbs and am 5'9.

Thanks!

Replies

• Anakin14
    Anakin14 Posts: 9
    Options
    In the exercise database of MFP there is actually a selection of options for horseriding so you can just enter how long you did it for and it will calculate for you taking your weight into account!
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    I looked in the exercise bit and there is only horse grooming...
  • Claris44
    Claris44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It's under horseback riding on the app. :)
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I find this silly that people even think this is an actual exercise. You are just sitting with slight movements what takes very low to no effort. You won't be burning many... unless you are a horse.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I find this silly that people even think this is an actual exercise. You are just sitting with slight movements what takes very low to no effort. You won't be burning many... unless you are a horse.

Have you ever tried it? Fair enough walking won't burn many calories but when i go for a proper ride it doesn't take long till I'm sweating and breathless and the next day I hurt like hell! I feel far more exhausted after horse riding than I do after running or a spinning class. I only feel guilty adding it as exercise because its so much fun!
  • vixenveggie
    Options

Once you start trotting/cantering/galloping/jumping, you can actually burn quite a lot of calories - you have to use your thigh and abdominal muscles to ask the horse to do what you want them to. Also, when trotting, you have to rise up and down with the horse, using your thigh muscles, which is why horse-riders often have such huge, muscly thighs!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've tried it, didn't found that being a "workout" whatsoever. I get more of a workout from slow jogging. But I suppose you are right, for people who barely move it might be quaite hard, just liek slow walking, what isn't exercise for others. So you're right, I shouldn't prolly generalize things...
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, if it's a non-strenuous trek I would say don't count it at all - mostly walking with short trots and canters really won't burn much at all.

However, in a lesson where I'm really working hard then I can burn up to 500 calories in an hour (measured using my HRM) but it depends very heavily on the type of schooling and the effort you're putting in.
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    I ride every weekend and can easily burn 400+ calories in just over an hour. and 700+ in 2 hours out on a trail I am 175 pounds and 5'3. 600 approx when in the arena for an hour.

Ainar, serious horseriding burns calories. Cantering and trotting takes control you are using your abs, legs, hips, butt and hands you arent just sitting there doing nothing. balance and co ordination as well
  • Anakin14
    Anakin14 Posts: 9
    Options
    Ainar - when you tried it you probably just sat on a horse and walked about a bit - I am assuming from your ignorance that you are not a competent rider. Try schooling and bringing on a spritely 4 year old sports horse for an hour (competently!) and I challenge you to not be tired afterwards!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Ainar - when you tried it you probably just sat on a horse and walked about a bit - I am assuming from your ignorance that you are not a competent rider. Try schooling and bringing on a spritely 4 year old sports horse for an hour (competently!) and I challenge you to not be tired afterwards!

Exactly this. I have gone on treks where I was put up on an old riding school pony who just followed the pony in front while i sat there. That is not exercise. However, if a horse has any amount of spirit you have to work really hard to control them and to get them to do what you want. As others have said, proper riding really works your thighs and your abs. And is also great fun! OP, enjoy your ride!!
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

Is only a horse trek, will only be my second time on a horse. As it is just a trek I probably won't put calories down as exercise, but if I enjoy it as much as I did the first time I will probably take lessons. Then I will put it down as exercise when I get more proficient/faster!