Women and lifting

Options
Hi Guys,
So I'm 19 years old, 49kg. I do strength training 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week. I'm just wondering how much weight should girls be lifting in order to get lean not bulky?

Replies

• _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    You dont' need to do a lot of weight just higher reps and keep your cals in check.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    In order to get bulky, you would have to eat a LOT, workout for hours, take steroids and have the right genes. Long story short, don't worry about bulking up. It's used as a scare tactic for women. I started StongLifts about a month or so ago and I've increased strength, lost inches and lost bf%. Here's what I can do:

deadlift: 115lbs
    weighted squat: 110lbs
    barbell row: 70lbs
    bench press: 50lbs
    overhead press: 50lbs
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You dont' need to do a lot of weight just higher reps and keep your cals in check.

I'm going to disagree with this. I was doing low-medium weights for YEARS with very little results. If you read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, you'll find out that we should train like men if we want to tone. Don't fall for the old myths and the scare tactics. good luck! :)

p.s. There's a group dedicated to women who lift. I would recommend that you check them out. LOTS of inspiration!
  • Creative_Sam
    Creative_Sam Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I'm going to disagree with this. I was doing low-medium weights for YEARS with very little results. If you read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, you'll find out that we should train like men if we want to tone. Don't fall for the old myths and the scare tactics. good luck! :)

p.s. There's a group dedicated to women who lift. I would recommend that you check them out. LOTS of inspiration!

she knows what she's talking about ^^
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lift. Very heavy, and I love it. I have felt healthier and stronger, and started seeing results in my arms and legs (I'm fat, so my midsection is a challenge.

Before I got sick and had to go on a two week break, these were my numbers.

Dead lift: 125 lbs
    Bench:135 lbs
    Squat: working 165 lbs, heavy 185lbs
    Overhead press: 110lbs (I'm struggling with this one)

You won't bulk up. Women are not genetically designed to do so. You have to trump the way you are made, with supplemental tetestosterone in order to get that manly look.

There is a funny website I like, it is www.nerdfitness.com . Go there and check out Stacey. You will be glad you did.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump : thanx will revert back to this :)..
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    So I'm 19 years old, 49kg. I do strength training 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week. I'm just wondering how much weight should girls be lifting in order to get lean not bulky?

as heavy as you can :)

95% of women do not have the testosterone levels to get bulky.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Heavy.

It's still discouraging the number of women that fear "getting bulky", even most guys that work out have to work really hard (or cheat) to get "bulky".

Take a visit to your local CrossFit gym, just tell them you want to check them out. Watch a class and observe the strong women who aren't bulky or manly looking.
  • ShivikaChandra
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

LOL
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As much weight as you can. Whatever is heavy for you.

Lifting on a calorie deficit will not get you bulky.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Go heavy and check this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    200 pounds!
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

LOL

Don't just laugh at people that don't know better. This site was designed for us to support each other and increase knowledge of healthy lifestyle. Some things deserve to be laughed at, this isn't one. Share your personal experience and knowledge.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options

LOL

Don't just laugh at people that don't know better. This site was designed for us to support each other and increase knowledge of healthy lifestyle. Some things deserve to be laughed at, this isn't one. Share your personal experience and knowledge.

^^Have to agree on this one^^
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Total 1980s man science point of view. HAHA ;)~
    The 'women should lift barbie weights for an hour' myth has be debunked.
    You're not going to bulk, you're going to look oooo so sexy. lol

Lift as heavy as you can, like Beatlegirl said.

*now has the song 'Maniac' swirling though her head*
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you work really hard, and lift really heavy, you might get as bulky as these girls:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We weight about the same, and I lift heavy. I work out about 4/5 times a week. Never ever do cardio, if I do it's only for a max of 10/15 minutes for warm up. It depends on what your goal is. When I started working out I was addicted to cardio because it was easy but I wasn't seeing any results, I was loosing weight... not inches and that's not what I wanted. When you do steady state cardio you burn carbs and muscle, not fat. If you're looking to burn fat start doing HIIT and lifting weights. Once I got my diet right, started eating A LOT more and started lifting I shredded body fat and inches. I always try to do 4 sets of 5, if I can complete them all... not enough weight. Always challenge yourself and trust me, I work out very hard and it's very difficult for women to gain muscle.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    As much as you can while eating at a calorie deficit. Your body can't grow muscles out of thin air.
  • bluekadoo02
    Options
    I was actually going to recommend the same book. It is phenomenal. By lifting a large amount of weight, you will not bulk up. Lower reps with more weight will help you build strength. The higher reps and lower weight will build the endurance fibers in your muscles up. However, these endurance fibers are ones that women are naturally better with, so the higher reps and lower weight is not really going to do as much as the strength training. Anyway, long short of it, you won't bulk up. Rock out your strength training. And really, you should check out that book. It is The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler.