Maintaining weight w/ less exercise

Options
I have a 50hr/wk desk job and right now I average 10hrs/wk of fairly intense cycling. During the summer it's easier thanks to better weather. Plus I race bikes, so my races (about 2 a month) are my motivation.

4-5 days a week, 2 x 20 minute cycling sessions at 16-18mph (work commute)
2-4 days a week, 60-120 minute cycling session at 18-20mph
1 day a week, 4hr cycling session, mph varies by terrain (my weekend long ride) AND/OR 2hrs racing at 20+mph.

If it's raining, I'll substitute my commute ride with a morning run (~5k). It doesn't equal nearly the same calorie burn, but I have more energy throughout the day after any AM workout. And its a LOT safer than riding a bike through a busy city on slick roads!

I've been more active this summer than ever before, and I'm a bit concerned about the winter. I'll still commute, but I'd like to maintain my training to a certain degree. Part of that is to be physically fit for next race season, but mostly so I don't gain weight and lose too much muscle tone. My training easily burns 4000-5000 calories/wk. How do you remove that kind of burn and NOT gain weight?

Replies

• muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    i feel your pain, when i exercise it crushes my appetite and takes up a big chunk of time.
    if i am not training(had a succession of injuries this year) i get bored + hungry, and have a lot more free time, which makes it easy to stack on the weight.
    Guess you'll just need to reign in the kcals you're consuming. :(
  • Denzel4
    Denzel4 Posts: 6
    Options
    For weight loss exercise and diet both are useful tools. Both have importance and we can't loss weight without these tools so it is good to do regular exercise and follow a diet plan.