Disgusted with myself

Options
Hello,

I've never weighed myself and I recently had to get some tests done at the hospital and they had to weigh and measure me.
I've always been battling with my weight, from my early teens.
I'm quite like a yo-yo, losing and adding all the time.
Anyway,
I asked the hospital not to tell me the measurements and they agreed.

However, the doctor had to throw in at the end of our conversation 'oh you might want to consider losing some weight'
It got me down for a few days.

Then this morning I got a letter in the post, from the hospital telling me the figures.

I'm almost 18 years old, female, 5'4ft and my weight is a disgusting 97.5kg(214.5 pounds) .. And my BMI is 36.

I feel sick and angry with myself.

I'm off to University in 4 weeks and I want to be a slim as I can.
I've tried dieting and exercising before and I lost loads, then added it again.

Can anybody suggest a reasonable goal, exercise routines, diet plans etc?

Also I would love to hear about your success stories!

Cheers :)

Replies

• tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can do this no problem!! Set a reasonable long term goal for yourself and then break it down into smaller, shorter term goals. From there, work towards them measuring as you go. There's a whole category on here with success stories, so I would click there and read away. I'm more than twice your age and have yoyo'd my whole life, so I understand, but at your age you will find it easier.

What has worked best for me is getting into a routine and sticking with it, EXERCISE which allows you some more freedom in your total calories for the day, track every day (even when you've gone over your total...be honest with yourself) and allow yourself to make mistakes without deciding that you can't do this and then quitting.

I promise you that you can do this and as you progress you'll feel amazing! Good luck!
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    I,too, go up and down and seem to play around with the same 5 pounds lately. What has inspired and motivated me is the fit bit flex. It tracks your activity. I am inspired to exercise and through friendly competition, I compete with others on the fitbit flex that I have friended. I don't talk much trash. I just challenge myself to keep my ranking on the scoreboard or to keep stepping it up. Check out the fit bit flex at fitbit.com. The website syncs with the tracker and keeps you motivated. Hope this helps.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can make the changes you want to see in yourself happen. You just have to want to change MORE than you want to stay the same. You have to want health and fitness more than you want comfort and the chemical rewards that come along with an unhealthy diet.

Everyone says "of course I want better health more", but most people can't admit that they really want a comfortable life with food/drink pleasure more than they want the change required to get the health they want.

Your health and longevity are the rewards for the hard work that lies ahead. Want it more, and make it happen.

I should add, that many people that experience success spend a good deal of time "taking 2 steps forward, one step back". It really takes dedication to break old habits and make new ones. Enjoy your victories, learn from your mistakes, and don't give up.
  • kathyrbl
    kathyrbl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had a similar kick in the @ss moment when I calculated my BMI for a work wellness activity and found that I was one step away from being obese. As I had aged I had let those few pounds a year add up. I printed out the BMI chart and used that to set my incremental goals and measure my progress. I started in February with a BMI of 29 (at 165) and now am down to a BMI below 25 (143 lbs). I want to end up right in the middle of the chart. I got there though logging everything I eat, trying to stay at or below my calorie targets and adding exercise. I have also started using the fitbit and find it very motivating. Good Luck...
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It'll be tough, but you have to change your lifestyle. Find ways to be more active and make it permanent. For example, always park at the back, always take the stairs, etc. Get involved in an active hobby that you enjoy. I love to hike and joined the local chapter of my trail association - now I always have someone to hike with. No matter what happens, losing weight won't "stick" if you don't learn to love yourself no matter what.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It may have come as a shock, but maybe you should take this as an opportunity.

I guess what you will need first and foremost is willpower and patience. Something that has been a big issue for years isn't going to sort itself out in a matter of 4 weeks before Uni.

If you're a 'fresher' at Uni, take this chance to start a new chapter in your life, including new eating and exercise habits. Start to cook from scratch. It will also save you money. Most universities have gyms on campus. Use them. Students often get discounted memberships at other fitness clubs. Take advantage of all those opportunities.

Don't just go on a crazy crash diet, have a great big strop when it all goes wrong and cry that nothing works. Promise yourself you'll do it properly. It might take a couple of years, but may then last for the rest of your life.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't just go on a crazy crash diet, have a great big strop when it all goes wrong and cry that nothing works. Promise yourself you'll do it properly. It might take a couple of years, but may then last for the rest of your life.

I wish someone had told me this years ago, and maybe I would be fit now. Solid solid solid advice.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    First of all get your diet in check. Do this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Then start exercising regularly and the weight will drop.
  • Ashlie0118
    Options
    We have the exact same height and weight, 25 years old. I am also grossed out when I look in the mirror (which is seldom). I just started back on diet/exercise. I am pretty excited about the future, but I know there will be days (as there have been so many times before), when I am like "Why am I trying SO hard and not getting any results!!". Just because I was impatient, then I gave up and here I am starting again. Lets do this together!! You should add me, we can help motivate each other!
  • mrt64
    mrt64 Posts: 4
    Options
    Good thing is that you are young and realise now you have a weight problem. thats your first hurdle dealt with , now you need to take a look at the food you are eating and brake them down, always remember to try to avoid eating carbs after 3pm if you can otherwise keep them as low as possible .I've taken this on board and have lost 9lb in 4weeks also by doing exercise. ask your doctor about any weight management referral teams at local gyms I did excactly that. even a brisk walk to the local shops doing even a mile each day burns calories. all the best
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you have officially taken the first step. You have honestly assessed your condition. Now it's time to start the "University" of a healthy lifestyle. Do your research and proceed with the correct plan for you. It may take some trial and error. The main thing is eat less, eat healthy, and move more! Good Luck, you CAN do it!
  • moosecub
    moosecub Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you're a 'fresher' at Uni, take this chance to start a new chapter in your life, including new eating and exercise habits. Start to cook from scratch. It will also save you money. Most universities have gyms on campus. Use them. Students often get discounted memberships at other fitness clubs. Take advantage of all those opportunities.

I couldn't agree with this more. When I transferred universities at age 20, I decided to make a "fresh start" (new major, new haircut, new lifestyle) and I joined a gym and found friends on campus who wanted to eat healthy and exercise to be fit. I learned so much and got so much support from these friends, and I was finally able to gain control over the yo-yo weight issues I'd had all through my teenage years.

Now, at 31, I'm generally pretty fit and trim (I'm pregnant now and gaining weight for obvious reasons, but usually my BMI is right at 21.5). And I find that I consistently have a better sense of healthy eating and exercise habits than a lot of others my age and older... all from habits I learned from the friends I made in my early 20s. :)

You can do this!!
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    You can so do this. What I've found has helped me is to focus on getting fitter and healthier and introducing small changes at a time rather than getting too fixated on kilos and calories. For example I used to be a big binge eater of chips so swapped that for raw veggies (still has crunch and tastes good too.) Also I make it my goal to do some sort of exercise each day. As I have a young baby at the moment I find it easier to make my own workout routines at home and have a few dumb bells. Any extra chance you can get for a walk is good too. I also often workout when I'm watching tv. Good luck and feel free to add me if you wish.
  • KatieBuggs1985
    KatieBuggs1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I started putting on weight right after I tured 21 and it just spiraled out of control. While I was pregnant with my daughter I was over 280lbs and after I had her I was still at 260 at 5'6. Some may disagree with me, but in my opinion you need to get the word "diet" out of your vocabulary. You need to look at it as a lifestyle change. Don't deprive yourself of anything. If you want a piece of cake, have it...if you want candy, have it...just not all the time. In moderation! So far, in about 6 months I've lost 46lbs. Could I have lost more than that? Absolutely! BUT, I am not an extreme person. So, while I did start working out and eating better I still had ME days when I didn't work out and I ate whatever I want. You can totally do this! I live by the 80/20 rule! 80% of the time you do what you need to (work out, eat healthy) and 20% of the time you do what you WANT! Just don't make your goals too hard to meet. Set small goals, meet them and move on to the next. It is really, really hard to get yourself in that mind set, but you can! I wish you the best of luck!!
  • LAF1993
    LAF1993 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,
    As someone who's just finished their University degree I can relate to you. I was also pretty much the same weight as you when I started and I'm also 5ft 4inches. I found university is a great way to become a 'new you' in whatever way. For me it was going from a shy, unconfident teen to a ridiculously chatty, getting involved (slight) party animal :/ but this can mean you become whoever you want and it's a great opputunity to start over so to speak.

Now I didn't start loosing much weight at university until my 3rd year - first year was all to new and i went out a lot (alcohol isn't the best thing to keep consuming if you want to loose weight!) and then second year was too stressful personally. But then over the 9months of summer and most of 3rd year i lost 2 stone - I noticed no difference but my friends did so that made me happy. And then the stress of finals and moving house and being a graduate meant i put most of it back on. Now i'm waiting around to see if i'm doing a masters and, for once, the boredom has made me want to get fit and so far I'm back down to 190lbs and am determined to be down to 150lbs (at least) this time next year for my friends graduation (they're will be no cloak to hide behind as its not my graduation!)

So firstly remember university is hectic at first (good hectic :D) so don't worry if you aren't that commmitted to loosing weight at first, but you can reinvent yourself as more confident (and studies have shown the happier you are with yourself the more likely you are to improve with yourself so concentrate on your positives i.e. great smile, confidence, etc).

Also unis offer lots of sports clubs and activities great for loosing weight and getting fit and all are either really cheap or free! AT my uni the gym was also only £90 for the year and this def helped me loose weight in my last year. ANd don't worry about being new to a sport because loads of other people who are too and want to learn.

Also I don't know your plans on getting a job but i know working in a shop on my feet all day def helped me loose weight considering lectures are a lot of sitting around! I also had the bonus that my uni's location is practically on a mountain and this helped me get even a bit of exercise every day.

And remember university is so much fun and if you're enjoying yourself you won't have to compete with boredom snacking.

SO I probs haven't been that mcuh help (and i def not a success story just yet) but just be aware you are about to enter an awesome and exciting time in your life (i miss being a student immensly!) and you can be whoever you want to be. There are lots of ways the uni can help you and you can make new friends who want to do the same and motivate each other! SO best of luck with uni and the weight loss, feel free to message or add me if you want to or have any more questions :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

Everyone starts somewhere!

I just want to offer a little token of advice. 4 weeks is not much time in the long run. It would be a MUCH better use of your time to try and develop good habits and get a sustainable eating and exercise program worked out before you go than to crash-diet for 4 weeks. If you build yourself a solid foundation, you'll be getting fitter while everyone else starts gaining the freshman 15. Good luck to you!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've never weighed myself and I recently had to get some tests done at the hospital and they had to weigh and measure me.
    I've always been battling with my weight, from my early teens.
    I'm quite like a yo-yo, losing and adding all the time.
    Anyway,
    I asked the hospital not to tell me the measurements and they agreed.

However, the doctor had to throw in at the end of our conversation 'oh you might want to consider losing some weight'
    It got me down for a few days.

Then this morning I got a letter in the post, from the hospital telling me the figures.

I'm almost 18 years old, female, 5'4ft and my weight is a disgusting 97.5kg(214.5 pounds) .. And my BMI is 36.

I feel sick and angry with myself.

I'm off to University in 4 weeks and I want to be a slim as I can.
    I've tried dieting and exercising before and I lost loads, then added it again.

Can anybody suggest a reasonable goal, exercise routines, diet plans etc?

Also I would love to hear about your success stories!

Cheers :)
    Ok, so you've had that moment of shock, anger and self-disgust. That has motivated you to get here. Now it's time to put that aside, forgive yourself, and start taking care of yourself (mind and body). Turn that anger into positive energy to move yourself forward.

You can do this. I started off at 214 lbs too, only I'm an inch shorter than you (so probably looking a little bigger) and more than a decade older than you.

I totally get wanting to be slimmer when you go to university, I certainly remember that feeling. The thing is, try not to put too much focus on a deadline. You can definitely lose some weight in that time, which will hopefully improve your confidence, but the real work is going to come in the weeks and months after that date.

A lot of people gain weight at university. You're starting in a really good position, because you're already aware of needing to lose weight, and you can start managing this from the beginning. It will be hard; there will be lots of junk food and drink, and more fun things to do than exercise, but if you make the effort, you can enjoy those things in moderation, and lose the weight too. Oh how I wish MFP was around when I was at uni!

My biggest advice would be to keep things simple. Set MFP up to lose 2 lbs a week to start with (you'll need to be losing at a slower rate as you get closer to goal). Eat the foods you like, weigh/measure track everything as accurately as possible, and go from there. Look at your diary and identify areas that it would be helpful to change. You may find it helps to increase your protein intake, as protein will keep you fuller for longer. Getting plenty of fibre and water will help too.

Accept up front that this is going to take time - a long time. Losing weight can be very boring at times, and you won't always feel motivated. Try and build habits that you can sustain easily, without really thinking about it. Don't make drastic changes that you can't live with more than a couple of weeks. If you don't want to eat junk food, don't eat junk food, but if you're secretly craving pizza and refusing to let yourself eat it, then that isn't likely to end well. Eat and drink what you like, but learn to eat appropriate portion sizes and fit it into your overall nutritional goals.

If you have will have free access to a gym, or a good discount, then take advantage of that. You don't *have* to exercise to lose weight, but if you can make it a part of your lifestyle, that will help a lot. If you can fit in some form of resistance training, that will really help you to maintain your muscle mass as you lose weight. (It also helps get you a more "toned" look in the end). There will probably be loads of groups/societies you can join, so try and join something active so that you can meet people, and have that extra motivation to do something active at the same time.
    It would be a MUCH better use of your time to try and develop good habits and get a sustainable eating and exercise program worked out before you go than to crash-diet for 4 weeks.
    ^Totally agree with this. Losing at uni will probably be challenging for lots of reasons, so make the most of these 4 weeks to really get those healthy habits going. Learn about portion sizes, and what keeps you full, and what kind of meal timings suit you best.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Most of us have been there, and I am still considerably heavier than you are on top of me being a couple inches shorter. You have started a new journey, your past doesn't matter, today and the future are what's important.