Overly OBSESSED about calories

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
My life revolves around counting calories. All I think about every second of every day is what I'm going to eat and how I'm going to burn off the extra calories. If I eat more calories than I should, I try to burn them off with EXTRA exercise on top of what I'm already doing. I'm not even losing weight. I'm sick of it. All of this obsessive behavior and suffering for nothing?! I'm on the 13th day of insanity and feel like I'm probably doing this extremely difficult exercise video for nothing. I'm not overweight, just skinny fat, and only want to lose about 8-10 lbs. I'm not happy with my mentality (or body) right now.. :sad:

Replies

• tjthegreatone
    Options
    My life revolves around counting calories. All I think about every second of every day is what I'm going to eat and how I'm going to burn off the extra calories. If I eat more calories than I should, I try to burn them off with EXTRA exercise on top of what I'm already doing. I'm not even losing weight. I'm sick of it. All of this obsessive behavior and suffering for nothing?! I'm on the 13th day of insanity and feel like I'm probably doing this extremely difficult exercise video for nothing. I'm not overweight, just skinny fat, and only want to lose about 8-10 lbs. I'm not happy with my mentality (or body) right now.. :sad:

I've struggled with this since I discovered that you could 'earn more' calories by exercising. I rue the day :sad:

Try telling yourself a few things:

1. I deserve to eat just by virtue of being alive
    2. I don't have to 'earn calories' to enjoy my dinner
    3. Exercise is not punishment for overeating but a way of improving my physical health, fitness and mood
    4. You can't out-exercise a bad diet (it's far easier to overeat and much more difficult to exercise enough to burn those calories. You also risk injuries, fatigue and serious burnout).
    5. Try looking at your intake and expenditure over a week rather than daily (the app is brilliant for this).

You may be experiencing burnout and overtraining. The only solution I know of is complete rest, even if it is just for a day. Does Insanity allow you a day off for R and R if needed? Even if you end up in the red calorie-wise you can always balance it out over the next few days. If you aren't allowed to, how about resolve not to do any extra exercise for the next few days, regardless of how much you have eaten and accept the red number, just for one day?

PS as far as skinny-fat goes, most people here recommend weight training (squats, compound lifts, heavy free-weights etc).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Log your calories at the start of the day - done!
  • llfretwell
    Options

I've struggled with this since I discovered that you could 'earn more' calories by exercising. I rue the day :sad:

Try telling yourself a few things:

1. I deserve to eat just by virtue of being alive
    2. I don't have to 'earn calories' to enjoy my dinner
    3. Exercise is not punishment for overeating but a way of improving my physical health, fitness and mood
    4. You can't out-exercise a bad diet (it's far easier to overeat and much more difficult to exercise enough to burn those calories. You also risk injuries, fatigue and serious burnout).
    5. Try looking at your intake and expenditure over a week rather than daily (the app is brilliant for this).

You may be experiencing burnout and overtraining. The only solution I know of is complete rest, even if it is just for a day. Does Insanity allow you a day off for R and R if needed? Even if you end up in the red calorie-wise you can always balance it out over the next few days. If you aren't allowed to, how about resolve not to do any extra exercise for the next few days, regardless of how much you have eaten and accept the red number, just for one day?

PS as far as skinny-fat goes, most people here recommend weight training (squats, compound lifts, heavy free-weights etc).

This was great advice. Thank you. I struggle daily with my unconditional love for food paired with disgust in myself for overindulgence in those foods. I appreciate your advice. Tomorrow is suppose to be my rest day from insanity and I was planning on exercising anyways. I think I'll take your advice and try a break instead. Thanks again :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ditch insanity and learn compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, chin ups, pull ups, over head press, chest press, etc and once you have these moves down start lifting heavy and go with a three day a week total body workout and two days a week cardio....

IMO
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ditch insanity and learn compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, chin ups, pull ups, over head press, chest press, etc and once you have these moves down start lifting heavy and go with a three day a week total body workout and two days a week cardio....

IMO

This
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Insanity isn't the way to do it, I've found. Lift heavy and drop the body weight exercises for a while.

Also, calorie obsession can lead to binging and unhealthy habits. All of this burning calories to eat a certain amount seems to be detrimental. You eat a certain way to lose weight, but you train to sculpt your physique.
  • llfretwell
    Options

IMO

I've heard that weightlifting is good for getting rid of the "skinnyfat". I've never tried lifting weights before, only cardio. My husband lifts weights at home, but lifts way more than I would have to (obviously). Where do I start?
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you are not gaining weight it is a success!!! The weight will come off eventually. I came close to my goal weight....than got stuck and said screw this, it is not worth it. Then my body said no problem , here is 50 lbs!!!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Log your calories at the start of the day - done!

This! Planning your day ahead of time will take a lot of the guesswork and stress off of you. Also, if you have little to lose it might be a good idea to stay away from the scale and use a measuring tape to track your progress.
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found when I started MFP the first time around a few months ago I was obsessing about calories and people used to tell me not to over think things but then I would micromanage my intake more, literally down the the calorie and I would check it and re check it.... and in the end it basically did my head in because I felt like I wasnt doing it right enough.
    Anyhoo this time around I just decided **** it. I plan and log at the beginning of the day, I put my food out.. I go to the gym for 45 minutes 4 times a week.. done.
    Its not rocket science and its much kinder on the mind I am finding.
  • VeganGlasgow27
    VeganGlasgow27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Do you have OCD? I do, and was like that for the first few months of MFP. I managed to lose 30lb, but also missed a lot of university. I had to completely give up MFP for the final three months of the academic year, so I could graduate with a good degree.

Are you worried about anything else in your life? When I'm depressed or anxious in general, I definitely become more obsessive about weight since it provides a distraction. You're looking for something you can control.
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

IMO

I've heard that weightlifting is good for getting rid of the "skinnyfat". I've never tried lifting weights before, only cardio. My husband lifts weights at home, but lifts way more than I would have to (obviously). Where do I start?

Search the forum for Starting Strength,StrongLifts and New Rules for Lifting for Women...
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You may be doing the wrong thing to achieve your goal and that is always going to be unsatisfying!!

Maybe you should take some time to think about exactly what result you want and then put together a reasonable plan to get there.

If you don't think you really need to lose much weight but feel like you are skinny fat then it sounds like you want 'tone' and definition. If that's the case then lifting may be the best way forward and I would recommend new rules of lifting for women as a good place to start.

You will still need to manage your calories but you are perhaps likely to achieve results you are happier with.

Bear in mind though that this will take months rather than weeks and you really have to get your head around it being a long term goal, especially as the scales won't be moving quickly and depending on your current composition may even go up!!!

I would recommend looking into this and seeing if it's right for you!!
  • VeganGlasgow27
    VeganGlasgow27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "My life revolves around counting calories. All I think about every second of every day is what I'm going to eat and how I'm going to burn off the extra calories. If I eat more calories than I should, I try to burn them off with EXTRA exercise on top of what I'm already doing."

I don't know why the majority of people are replying with weight loss and exercise tips. The most important part of your message is the above, and it sounds like the beginning of an eating disorder, to be frank. Your mental state is far more important than getting toned at present.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

IMO

Start by Reading The New Rules Of lifting For Women:
    http://amzn.to/19dpuAh

Then join the MFP group here:
    http://bit.ly/13yOvOj

:)
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Majda1234_wechange Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would recommend, from my own experience to NEVER plan a day ahead, for me it is a set up for failure. Maybe not after a day, week, motnh or a year but eventually it leads to failure as I learned. It is the thing that ruined my diet anyway. Because when i plan and do one little thing not according to my plan my day is set for failure and I am bound t overeat. So that is in my experience the worst thing you can do. I am just like you, working the excess calories and constantly thinking about food and calores and it is really hard to get out of that mentality, i have been trying for months and just beginning to do it. But you really need to learn to forgive yourself, we're all humans and mistakes are part of learning and a part of a journey that you are leading.You sre not perfect and you will make more mistakes but you are not a machine and the food you "overate" with is probably something your body needed anyway. For example I had a diet tht had much more protein, no fats and low carbs but enough calories and then I felt stuffed for example but in the need of something( carbs, bread) so i started a week of failure and destruction. I ate only butter bread and margarine for the entire week which was because of the inbalances i had in my diet so your body required it anyway too. Relax, don't overexercise and believe me your body will be grateful.
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

IMO

I didn't know anything about lifting until I purchased the book "Women's Health Big Book of Exercise". It was $30 and it was the best thing I ever purchased. If you are skinny but want to tone your body, lifting is definitely the way to go (and lift heavy)! I am 10 lbs away from my goal and completed Insanity, it did NOTHING for me.

Lift weights 5x's a week and HIIT Cardio 3x's a week!
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Stop counting calories.

Some people lose weight very effectively by managing every aspect of their diet and exercise -- monitors and gadgets to know EXACTLY how much they burned, food scales to know EXACTLY how much their eating, and apps galore to make graphs and charts and projections and whatever. And that's great for those people.

For others (I'm included, so don't feel bad or alone :), knowing, tracking, and obsessing over ALL of the details is just unhealthy and counterproductive. So, I'd suggest trying some other ways of managing diet and exercise. I've found the paleo/primal thing a much better alternative for me than counting calories. I know it's all kinds of different for all kinds of people, but for me it's more of a paleo-style thing, as I still very occasionally eat non-paleo things like dairy. Now, as compared to when I was counting calories, I don't obsess over what I'm eating and because my diet is much more limited (but not restrictive) pretty much all of my available food choices are good choices. I eat good food when I'm hungry and that's it. It's so much less stressful and time-consuming. And I'm not a miserable SOB to be around. For other people, eating 'clean' accomplishes basically the same thing. Fasting is another option that works really well for some people. I know a girl who lost a lot of weight and has mainted for a while now eating an 85% raw food diet. Not my thing, but it works for her. They're all just ways of creating a calorie deficit -- by making better food choices (because your options are limited to better food choices) or by limiting the time you're eating. Do whatever works for you and your lifestyle. Just make sure whatever you do decide to try is something that's sustainable and, if done correctly, healthy.

And do the same thing with exercise. Stop tracking how many calories a workout burns and start focusing on exercising to improve your fitness. If you like lifting weights, then you can focus on lifting heavier weights. If you like running, then you can focus on running further, or longer, or faster. Or, if you don't like anything, focus on trying new things to hopefully find something you do like -- kayaking, horseback riding, crossfit, swimming, dance classes, whatever. Focus on trying as many new things as possible.

Then, if you don't see the progress you want, change you routine. Not losing weight? Adjust your fasting schedule or focus on making healthier choices when you aren't fasting or eat a large, leafy salad before your meals, change your workouts, etc. I know that's probably blasphemy for this site, because it's centered around counting calories and logging everything daily, but you don't HAVE to count calories to lose weight and get in shape. It a good way, but it's not the only way.
  • llfretwell
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for the awesome feedback everyone. I think I will start looking into how to begin the process of weight lifting and go from there. Maybe switch up my cardio and weight lifting through the week. Ya'll have all been more than helpful. I'm so grateful for the support!
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been doing insanity for 3 weeks now and have seen great results... but never did the 6 days a week thing, I did other exercising in between and did a little bit of weight lifting. Variety is the key, and you'll find out over time how your body reacts to different exercises! Try the weight lifting and do some cardia beside it is my advice:)