When do YOU log a loss?

Options
I weighed myself the other day, it seemed as though I may have lost a couple of pounds. But I didn't log it. The day after, they seemed to be back, and I didn't log it, and was glad I hadn't logged the first loss. Today, I seem to be a definite 3lbs down, and I'm still scared to log it. Then i realised, I'm pretty sure my head has already decided I won't log a loss til i see the scale hit 11stone - why did I decide that? I didn't even weigh regularly until I started seeing this loss, now i keep jumping back on to check if a) it's real and b) if it's gone again - argh! Apparently i am too chicken to log my loss in case I lose the loss, lmao.

So, when does everyone here decide to log a loss? Am I just being a bit of a crazy lady??

Replies

• PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Don't over analyze this. I log every couple weeks as my weight fluctuates depending on time of day, what I've eaten, TOM for women, and what day. A couple pounds fluctuation is normal. If you see drastic 10 + or more than I would try to make adjustments in your diet regimen. Otherwise the point I'm trying to make is there is no right answer here. There is no rule, just the one you set for yourself. Log when YOU want to. If you want to wait til you are seeing a decline in weight, do so. If you wanna log every week religiously, do so. It's all what you make it girl. What I would suggest is also tracking your measurements. Sometimes the scale won't move for weeks but I take my measurements and have lost inches. Good luck to you ^_^
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just to gather info. I log a loss when it has stuck for a few days so I'm sure that it is not just a fluctuation of sorts. For example this morning it appears that I lost two pounds. I will log that when I have seen it for a couple days :)
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If U only log it when U loose it it looks better.
    I loged every day and then it looks like U loose a lot.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I only log a change after I've been at or below that number for more than a week. I'm usually a week or two behind. For instance, Mine now say's that i am 172.5 For the last 5 day's I've been weighing in at 171.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    While my weight was steadily dropping (while I lost the first 45 or so) I recorded the lowest number I saw and would only have adjusted back high if I didn't see it again or go lower within a week or two. That never happened. The way I look at it, there are spikes up for water or timing of digestion but there is no way to spike down. You may be a little dehydrated, but so what? It's the body weight. If you see lower numbers than you have before you have lost weight, but seeing higher numbers doesn't mean you have gained if they are interspersed with low weights. I am currently dropping slower on purpose and now wait until I see the weight a few times before "claiming it". It is partly mental - I am so close to goal now that I don't want to claim it unless I feel like I will definitely stay below it.
  • arenee48
    arenee48 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with daiellemm1, my rule for logging is if I see the same weight for three consecutive days in a row I will enter in the new weight. I weigh myself daily at the same time every morning as a little motivation (either if the number is a little higher or the same it's a reminder that I need to stay on track if I want to meet my goals, or if it shows that I've lost weight it's a little boost of confidence that what I"m doing actually works). Many people think weighing themselves daily is a bad idea because the number often fluctuates but for me weighing myself daily is a win-win because it's a constant motivation tool; and if it shows the same number three days in a row it's most likely a permanent change rather than a natural fluctuation in water weight, etc., so I think it's okay to log it.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I log a loss once I've seen it three mornings in a week.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I log it daily in a paper journal to track trends, but on MFP I only log new lows. I don't want to report on my newsfeed the same pound or two that I fluctuate.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    my trainer took my scale AWAY from me. NOW she lets me see it weekly and I am not so stressed about the ups and downs and can concentrate on the losses. GET OFF THE SCALE
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm quite liking the premise of logging once a consecutive loss has been seen :)
  • fatzant
    fatzant Posts: 40
    Options
    I get round this by having a weigh day!, once a week on the same day at same time off day i weigh myself in same clothes, closest you can get
  • OnorahS107
    OnorahS107 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with daiellemm1, my rule for logging is if I see the same weight for three consecutive days in a row I will enter in the new weight. I weigh myself daily at the same time every morning as a little motivation (either if the number is a little higher or the same it's a reminder that I need to stay on track if I want to meet my goals, or if it shows that I've lost weight it's a little boost of confidence that what I"m doing actually works). Many people think weighing themselves daily is a bad idea because the number often fluctuates but for me weighing myself daily is a win-win because it's a constant motivation tool; and if it shows the same number three days in a row it's most likely a permanent change rather than a natural fluctuation in water weight, etc., so I think it's okay to log it.

This is exactly what I do too.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get round this by having a weigh day!, once a week on the same day at same time off day i weigh myself in same clothes, closest you can get

^^ this!

I weigh once a week, first thing in the morning before breakfast, typically in my underwear just for consistency! and I log it every week, even if the scales went up a little, as I have to be honest with myself (and others) about my progress and what's working and what isn't.

Lisa x
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I'm logging every day. I don't really have any friends yet :( but I hope it won't be annoying to people. The daily ups and downs are natural, so I'm not going to feel embarrassed by them, and I'd rather log for awareness. Years ago, I kept a written food journal without calorie counts but with a daily weight. I find it helpful to put the number somewhere "official."
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday and log the weight be it up or down.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    after a poop
  • AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I log ups or downs twice a week.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I'm logging every day. I don't really have any friends yet :( but I hope it won't be annoying to people. The daily ups and downs are natural, so I'm not going to feel embarrassed by them, and I'd rather log for awareness. Years ago, I kept a written food journal without calorie counts but with a daily weight. I find it helpful to put the number somewhere "official."

Peronally, I only 'offically' log my weight on MFP once a week..every Friday morning. I do have an app though where I log my weight daily just for my own curiousity for my fluctuations...
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only log every Tuesday.
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just to gather info. I log a loss when it has stuck for a few days so I'm sure that it is not just a fluctuation of sorts. For example this morning it appears that I lost two pounds. I will log that when I have seen it for a couple days :)

I do this as well.