Too much protein??

Options
c_tap77
c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
So I'm starting to get the hang of logging, but it seems like I'm always way over what the site says I should be getting in terms of protein. I don't feel like I'm eating ridiculous amounts of it--but clearly it's in a lot more than I thought!

Is it a bad thing to be way over the website's suggested protein?

Replies

• SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No, I think it gives low numbers for protein intake. Also if it's on the default percentages, than it's only having you eat 15% protein. I changed mine to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you super low protein intake. I reset mine in settings.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have read on body building sites that 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass is a good number to shoot for, for most women that is around 100. Yesterday I read on a weight loss site that .4 grams per pound of whole weight is a good number. I don't know which is correct, but looking at your food diary today, you seem to have it somewhere in between the two. Protein is muscle food, but there are side effects if you consistently get in too much.
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    no such thing as too much protein, I weight about 110 pounds and eat around 140grams of protein a day, you should be eating about 1 - 1.5g of protein per pound, depending on if you work out that day or not and if you find it hard to get your marco up, start making protein smoothies or eating more lean meat.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can never have too much protein
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    No, I think it gives low numbers for protein intake. Also if it's on the default percentages, than it's only having you eat 15% protein. I changed mine to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

I changed mine to 40% protein, 30 for carbs and fat... though now I never hit it lol
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I would actually recommend upping your protein intake.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Is the 40-30-30 model the generally accepted model to follow?
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    On a normal day, I drink two protein shakes with milk, and for my 3rd meal I usually have grilled chicken, beans of some sort, and brown rice. Even when I do this, I still never hit 200 grams of protein, which is where my ideal number would probably fall given the whole 1 gram per pound calculations.

I *feel* like I eat too much already, and I'm not sure how I can get *more* protein in my life.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too much protein and there are side effects. Google it to learn. I also thought there was no such thing as too much protein, but then I started having digestive problems and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally I realized that the only thing that I had changed was upping my protein. So I Googled the "side effects of too much protein" and learned quite a lot from the results. I am now of the belief that what is not too much for one person, is too much for another. I am still learning about diet and exercise, trying to get it all dialed in.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Is the 40-30-30 model the generally accepted model to follow?

That depends. I would not go under 30% protein while eating at a deficit. Your 40-30-30 should look roughly like 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight (some say per pound of lean body mass), .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and the rest carbs.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My protein goals are based on my lean body mass. Since I"m overweight, eating 1g/lb of BODYweight would be ridiculous for me, I'd have little room for the ohter macros otherwise.