Spinning Classes

Options
I just bought a buywithme coupon for 25 visits to a gym for $25. It's good for using the facilities as well as classes. I'm thinking about doing a spinning class, but what is the benefit/difference of doing the class versus just getting on a stationary bike and doing it yourself?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The instructor will push you harder than you will yourself. Plus they will do intervals and specific workouts to help you gain muscle and get better, you will burn more calories than doing it on your own. You get the music and the group setting, its fun. I am doing one tonight and I recommend it.
    Even better for a beginner, you set your own resistance, so if you start getting really tired, you can still get a good workout, just back it off a little bit.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    There is no comparison, I tried spinning once !

If you can keep up the weight will fall off

45 > 60 minutess of pure joy ! :noway:

Give it a go, you'll see what i mean :wink:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    oh yes class is way more motivating, lol send me to the gym on the bike on my own and after 10-15 min i'm bored, not pushing very hard and finding a way to talk myself out of leaving... spin class however is fun, challenging, music keeps you pumped and they will get you to do diff things you wouldn't think to do on the bike (no bounce or squats anyone? lol) thus amping my cal burn!

loves it!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spinning. It is a great workout with a good instructor and good music. They push me harder than what I would do on my own. Warning be prepared for your butt to be sore for awhile :frown: . Great workout though.

100892.png
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend the class!! It is addicting and the instructor will definitely keep you more motivated!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Definitely try it! Plus the Spin bikes can be adjusted more to your body than a regular stationary gym bike, which makes it more comfortable and reduced chance of injury. I am addicted to Spin! They are the hardest, best 45 mins of my day! The instructor will push you and you will be standing, hovering, sitting and cycling til your legs burn!

Honestly, it is the first type of exercise to truly tone my legs (well, under the fat! LOL! they will be long and lean someday!). I have lost 3 inches off EACH thigh in the past couple of months, which I credit to spin class. Also, there is something about being in the class, with other people pushing themselves (maybe a "pack" mentality) and I find myself pushing myself harder than I would if I were all by myself.

Yes, your butt and lady parts will be sore, but after the first class or two, it stops hurting!

Give it a whirl!
  • I'd suggest getting out on the open road and riding a real live bike!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh spinning is soooo good. I did it for the first time with my new HRM the other day. I burned over 900 calories in 70 minutes. I thought it might be incorrect, but my HRM is the Polar FT7 and has been accurate with everything else. By booty still hurts!
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went to a few spinning classes some years back and remember it being really good. My new gym has spinning bikes out in the open plan area so yesterday I thought I'd try them out and today my legs are ACHING!! I have been a regular at the gym for years, do various different machines and weights so it was great to feel the burn from something new! it's also such a great calorie burner which is always an incentive in my eyes! :)
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm off tomorrow morning to spin :)

Such fun, and i ageee with everyone when they say its more motivating if you have someone push you. I had a stationary bike and got bored really easily i think its much better at the gym. I go with a friend so we push eachother.
  • Whitby86
    Options
    Warning be prepared for your butt to be sore for awhile :frown: . 100892.png

Glad someone else has mentioned this - went to my first RPM class this morning (at 6:45am - go me!!) and am now feeling the after-effects!!! :sad:

Tip for anyone going for the first time - get there early and make sure your bike is set up comfortably - I got there late, couldn't adjust the handlebars and nearly fell over the top twice on the jumps....whoops! I looked sooooo cool!

Enjoyed it much more than I thought - definitely give it a go especially as an early morning class - wakes you up like nothing else
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did some more spinning in the gym this morning, 20 mins this time, it was HARD! I dont think I am quite ready for the class yet but I am looking forward to building up my time and endurance in the meantime. I am enjoying it! :)

well done for going at 6.45, I was at 6.30 this morning too, its hard but I do think it sets you up for the whole day!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh spinning is soooo good. I did it for the first time with my new HRM the other day. I burned over 900 calories in 70 minutes. I thought it might be incorrect, but my HRM is the Polar FT7 and has been accurate with everything else. By booty still hurts!

I've always wondered how the HRM measures the calories burned. the other day I was doing a downloadable workout on the spinning bike, and I thought for sure the calorie burn would be more when I was sprinting, but it was at the same pace as when I was recovering. Oh, there's only one spin class around here, so I use downloadable workouts from cardiocoach.com. In many ways, this is actually better than a class.

Can you enlighten me as to how the calories are determined? I also have the FT7.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting out on the open road and riding a real live bike!

I second Jeffreyhansen post, that there is no substitute for outside riding. I understand city folk may not have easy access to good roads or trails, but if you do I highly recommend some fresh air. Riding in a group usually stretches you more than the spin instructor too.

I will take my spin addicts out on a ride and they are trashed.

Nothing against the spin, but give some wheels a chance too.

Raymond