How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself? How often do you record your updated weight in MFP? I'm not sure what is best, and i'm looking for input. Thank you.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Same clothes, same time, etc.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. It's enough to keep me on track without being too often that I get discouraged by fluctuations (which come with daily weighing).
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Every morning... which I know is bad, but I'm always just so curious!
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am OCD when it comes to weighing myself. I do it 3-4 times a day. Terrible, I know. BUT I only record once a week or every other week.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how much you care what the scales say.
    My nutritionist made me promise I wouldn't weigh myself in between consultations (every 3 weeks) to avoid going on an emotional roller coaster seeing my weight fluctuate by 2kgs every day (especially for women).

That was 10 years ago and while seeing those big losses is very motivating, I find it much more helpful to weigh myself every day now because it teaches me a bit more about how my body functions, and have a more accurate idea of where my real weight is at (you can't really cheat yourself by having so many data points).

MFP suggests once a week, which I find slightly risky, because you just might hit a "very good day" followed by a "bad day" a week later and think you've actually gained weight when those are just exceptions and in reality you're well on your way.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale at home. I do go to the doctors office at least once a month and sometimes much more often. So I weigh when I go to the doctors. I also take my measurements. If I need to see progress on my weight loss and I don't have a scale I will take my measurements. I do this at different times than when I weight and log the measurements. So I get a NSV (Non Scale Victory) Most days I just feel thinner and that is my motivation. I have a long way to go so I have been pleasantly surprised by the NSV's in my life. I might still look heavy but I feel so much healthier. MFP is a great tool and I wish I had found it years ago.
  • ricklapage
    ricklapage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh in 1 a week same time fresh out of the shower. I find if I do any more than that I get a bit crazy
  • ricklapage
    ricklapage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i also found that if you use map my fitness smart phone app (free version) it is more accurate on calories burned. I also helps keep you on track when walking or running cause it keeps track of your pace.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Since I'm doing a fitness program I weight myself, take my measurements, and calculate my bfp on my rest days to see all my progress. I know I'll have good weeks and bad weeks and that it'll take time, but it's a good way to see when and where things are changing.
  • krystalraven
    Options
    I had to get rid of my bathroom scales...I was getting obsessed with weighing myself! I ended up weighing myself every time I went to the bathroom! So now, I weigh myself once a week at the local chemists.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am like mahrmomof5. I weigh myself a few times a day just cause I am in the restroom. It doesn't consume me like it would with some people though when I see fluctuations. I just check to make sure there isn't anything crazy going on. What that could be? I don't know. Lol.

I do only count Friday morning weigh ins after I get out of the shower. Those are the only ones I log.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually record my weight once a week, and do measurements every three-four weeks. Now, I will occasionally step on the scale during the week, but mostly if I've noticed I'm eating a bit more and want to check on how my weight is doing. That way, I can adjust and eat less/work out more, to make sure my progress averages out.

I will say that taking my measurements has been a big help for when the scale's not moving much. Because even losing a half inch makes me feel better!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Once a day, in the morning, before my shower. I don't get too caught up with what I see though.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your great input. Sounds like once a week is a good approach.
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but that is just because I have new scales and want to make sure they are going to work right. They are the fitbit ones so they automatically update MFP.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Once a week for an "official" weigh in is probably the choice of most. I certainly wouldn't count it more frequently than that because of the fluctuations of the body. My body will swing 5-pounds within a day. I do weigh myself a couple of times a day, but more for *kitten*$ and grins, more of an amusement park sort of "guess the man's weight" sort of game. I ceratinly don't put any validity into those numbers at all. More for entertainment purposes only.

The key is to do it consistently on the same day of the week, and under as close to the same conditions (same time, same clothing (or lack thereof)) every time. And if one reading doesn't go down, or, God forbid, goes up, don't sweat that. Pay attention to the trend.

The big advantage of weighing yourself consistently this way, and recording absolutely everything you eat (no forgetting, no "misunderestimating") is that you can use the data you record to calcualte your actual TDEE instead of using the online calculators which are more of an approximation. You can then fine tune your diet targets and exercise targets suited to what you are trying to do. Consistency and accuracy of data is key to this approach.
  • dedeluca
    dedeluca Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm pretty OCD. I weigh myself every morning and track it in a spreadsheet along with calories consumed and calories burned during my workouts to see where my good and bad days are. I think it's more important if you are going to weigh everyday that going up a few pounds isn't going to derail you. You just have to keep your overall progress in mind and be happy with what you've done.
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    Most people weigh themselves once a week. I personally weight myself once a day. I fluctuate occasionally as well, but this actually helps keep me motivated and helps me not over eat if I weight myself often. I track my weight on a spreadsheet (I know: NERD right) but as long as the overall weight loss for the week is in the negative, I'm happy!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    In the morning after I pee, before I go to the Y, sometimes after I get home from the Y, and before bed.

I know, terrible!! Oh well. :)