Cooked Weight vs Pre-cooked Weight

Options
F1TCH1K
F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
Jennie'O turkey bacon states 30g = approx 1 slice (pre-cooked I assume). After I cook it 30g is about 4-5 slices.

So....do I log the pre-cooked or cooked weight? I have been weighing my food for years but never thought much about this one item that has become a weekly/daily item.

Thanks!!

Replies

• F1TCH1K
    Options
    bump :)
  • dancngdolfn
    dancngdolfn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great question i would like to know this also :).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Unless the package states otherwise is is the pre-cooked weight
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's usually the precooked weight they refer to, and I am assuming that is the case here as it gives the nutrition information as being for one slice which they estimate to be about 30 g. Sometimes the weight per serving is off, but I doubt it would be off by 3-4 slices.
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I always assume if it says serving size is 1 slice it is 1 slice, no matter how much it weighs. So now I am thinking I have robbed myself of hundreds of pieces of turkey bacon.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I often wonder about the stats for cooked things that are listed as such. If I brine a bird and cook it low temp, it's going to be heavier after cooking compared to no brine and cooked according to the usual methods.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I know bacon (real not sure about turkey) is significantly less cals than what the label claims (if cooked crispy). Every time I check the bacon label I see something like 200cals per 2 slices...and my heart sinks :laugh: Since the company cant assume how you are eating your bacon, it is safest to just put the pre cooked value.

The other day though I actually saw a package that had the precooked values (200 cals per 2 slices) and it also included a section for cooked (at least ten minutes and drained on paper towels) of 70 cals per 2 slices.

Game on!
  • TammyS327
    Options
    I know bacon (real not sure about turkey) is significantly less cals than what the label claims (if cooked crispy). Every time I check the bacon label I see something like 200cals per 2 slices...and my heart sinks :laugh: Since the company cant assume how you are eating your bacon, it is safest to just put the pre cooked value.

The other day though I actually saw a package that had the precooked values (200 cals per 2 slices) and it also included a section for cooked (at least ten minutes and drained on paper towels) of 70 cals per 2 slices.

Game on!

Can this be real? I have unjustly deprived myself of luscious bacon? Now I am depressed.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Game on!

Can this be real? I have unjustly deprived myself of luscious bacon? Now I am depressed.
    Oh sadly it's very real. I could have cried when I made the realization!
  • F1TCH1K
    Options

Game on!

Oh sadly it's very real. I could have cried when I made the realization!

This is exactly what I am thinking! I have deprived myself of a certain amount of bacon b/c I am assuming I am eating the cooked amount, which I am not.

So...do I weigh it after I cook and use that weight as the amount I am eating? I cook mine crispy, I get about 4-5 slices on 30 grams.
  • TammyS327
    Options
    Seriously I say cook then weigh. I do this with 93/7 ground beef, and chicken. I cook, drain, rinse then weigh. I am not eating the fat I cook out then drain off. Just like with fruit, I cut the rind off of melons before I weigh the fruit. So what you are saying makes perfect sense to me.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Seriously I say cook then weigh. I do this with 93/7 ground beef, and chicken. I cook, drain, rinse then weigh. I am not eating the fat I cook out then drain off. Just like with fruit, I cut the rind off of melons before I weigh the fruit. So what you are saying makes perfect sense to me.

Yes but you are also cooking off water.

Water weighs a whole lot but has no cals