Running & Muscle gain?

Options
Hey guys..

I just wondered as I started out running, did any of you experience a maintain or even gain during the first couple of weeks in taking up a formal exercise routine i.e running every other day?
I was super good last week and appear to be exactly the same weight - It is the first time, though, since the birth of my 7 month old son I've stuck at a routine and have been out running 5/7 days

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi - I started running 2 1/2 years ago and I noticed the same thing - my weight stayed the same. Don't worry, it took me about 3 weeks of consistent effort but once it starts, it really does, you will be so excited once it starts coming off!! Consistency is the key with running. If I have a break of more than a month, I go through exactly the same thing all over again! Hope this helps, keep at it, it really will shift some weight.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Goodmorning!! I started running about a little over a month ago. I didnt see a decrease & weight and actually fluctuated up in weight a few days! I am still struggling with this despite my dedication to running everyday. I didn't understand and have been getting frustrated. So in the begininv of September I decided to take my measurements (after not seeing the scale go down in weeks). Yesterday I measured again and could not believe it- I lost one inch from each thigh in less than two weeks! My arms each went down almost 1/4 inch too! No change in my stomach or hips, but I had just ate so I should probably check again on an empty stomach because I measured originally on an empty stomach. The scale has been fluctuating with the same pound for over a month now, but I guess I am gaining muscle! I wish I took my measurements when I first started running! So that is my advice for you- take your measurements now if you haven't already!! It helps when the scale isn't moving!
  • starstealing
    Options
    yes, it's normal to gain weight or stay theh same. muscle holds water to repair the tissue damage that training inflicts. in addition, your body increases glycogen stores when beginning to train. this is probably what is going on for you right now.

fyi, because a lot of people seem to think they're putting on massive amounts of muscle when they start training: "muscle gain" isn't nearly as significant. if i understand correctly, it's difficult for a woman to gain muscle when she's not eating and training TO GAIN muscle. basically, i doubt that's causing the lack of change on the scale.

i think i read somewhere that under PERFECT conditions (spot on diet and training), the avg MALE body can manufacture .25 to .5 lbs a week....i'm not sure about a female body.

i fluctuate a lot more when i'm training for a race - that's for sure!
  • GrayJohn
    Options
    I lost 14 lbs in the first month of running! Guess I'm one of the lucky ones

735976.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • slimmingsiobhan
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Rather than muscle gain after a lot of reading it does look like its probably water retention :) thats okay, though, I'm gonna stick with it even after a week my body feels much better and I have loads more energy so something right is happening.xx
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Definitely not muscle, as running NEVER increases muscle. In fact, bodybuilders usually avoid long period of cardio because the longer you do cardio (longer then say 30-40 minutes) the more muscle mass you actually lose. And anyways, when on a calorie deficit actually increasing muscle size is really tough, even when hitting the weights super hard.