Is 180g of carbs too much?

Options
Hey, I'm a 18 year old 5'2.5 111.8 pound woman.
I was wondering If eating 180g of carbs is too much for me?
I am trying to get down to 105 but I was wondering if the amount of carb I'm eating is too much.
Right now, according to my diary. I'm eating 65% carbs, 15% protein, and 20% fat.

Obviously I'd like to lose the weight ASAP but my goal date is to lose it before next year (December 31st, 2013)
So this gives me 5 months to lose 6.8 pounds...Will eating this many carbs hurt me?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    In terms of overall health, your carb amount is too high (and protein is quite low, with fat just a little low). In terms of weight loss, though, it doesn't really matter as long as you're at a deficit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're not eating too many carbs. You're eating far too little of everything else. You're eating under 800 calories most days of the last month, and that's not healthy at all. Please check with your doctor.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's only 720 calories. So no, unless you are on a VLCD, then 180g is a pretty normal amount. Some on this site maintain with 300g/day. Myself, I typically eat about 200g, but sometimes I go up to 250g.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I eat normally around 250 or even more but then again I like to run so it all burns off pretty quick I guess that would depend on your activity level. Calories in vs Calories out. And im male
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't hurt you if they're the right kind, you need complex carbs.
    I weight 110, and eat 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs
    I try to eat only 100grams of carbs a day, sometimes more if I decide to do cardio but if you're looking to loose weight, stop doing steady state cardio, start doing HIIT and lifting heavy, since it burns fat much quicker and you'll see better results. If you eat white bread, pasta, rice exc... take that out of your diet. Drink more water and eat more food, people think that eating less will make them loose weight, it will but you'll just be losing muscle, not fat which does more harm that good. Start eating around 1500 - 1700 calories a day depending on your activity level.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't hurt you if they're the right kind, you need complex carbs.
    If you eat white bread, pasta, rice exc... take that out of your diet.

White bread, pasta, and rice are complex carbs.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That depends entirely on how many carbs you want to eat. If your goal is 100g of carbs, then 180g is too much. If it's 200g, then you're doing just fine. Without knowing what you're planning on doing to meet your goals, the question is difficult to answer.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You're not eating too many carbs. You're eating far too little of everything else. You're eating under 800 calories most days of the last month, and that's not healthy at all. Please check with your doctor.

THIS

SO SO THIS

Eat more op at least 1200 NET a day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Look for fitness, not weight
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

THIS

SO SO THIS

Eat more op at least 1200 NET a day.

Agreed.

and think about strength training...you really dont need to lose any more weight.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    wow... if im not getting ice cream, im outta here!
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm 5'2", currently 106lb and 26 years old. I'm eating more carbs than you and and still losing (my diary's open, feel free to nose). I aim for 1800 calories a day using TDEE (although only average about 1600 per day at the moment), exercise 5x per week. I try to make sure I hit my macros though (60/20/20), especially protein and fibre.

What I've noticed since focusing on macros (the last month or so) and really working on the protein, is that my body comp has changed a lot. I dont measure body fat % as I'm obsessive, but I'm looking much sharper now, even though I've increased my calories from ~800 per day.

I can easily hit 200g carbs a day so wouldnt worry about that, but your protein and fat macros look really low. Nourish yourself.