How to get a flat stomach? - do I need to lose more fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    It seems to me that you have a long journey of transforming your physiology ahead of you. You were not blessed with a naturally flat stomach, so you need to create one. This will only occur through a consistant and prolongued regiment of core excercises, healthy diet and weight training. Losing weight is easy, building muscles is challenging, changing the "shape" of your body is very difficult. Some people are lucky enough that all they need to do to have a perfect body is lose weight. You're not one of them, so start on the lifelong journey of reshaping and creating the body you want. Otherwise, just accept the "pooch".

Info is good. Delivery sucks.

OP...I know you see something wrong with your belly, but I think it is really cute!!

YEAH! That!

Sorry, I haven't had my coffee. Maybe I'm hangry.

I'mma go work out now. Toodles.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you have a long journey of transforming your physiology ahead of you. You were not blessed with a naturally flat stomach, so you need to create one. This will only occur through a consistant and prolongued regiment of core excercises, healthy diet and weight training. Losing weight is easy, building muscles is challenging, changing the "shape" of your body is very difficult. Some people are lucky enough that all they need to do to have a perfect body is lose weight. You're not one of them, so start on the lifelong journey of reshaping and creating the body you want. Otherwise, just accept the "pooch".

No.
    Just...no.

Why no? She doesn't have excess fat really, that's more of lack of good strong core muscles to hold her abdomen in. Weight training and core exercises will help a lot. You may not end up with a six pack but good core muscles are essential for anyone.

That's not what I'm "no"ing. That's beneficial advice for anyone.

It's the douchey way they went about giving advice. Makes it sound like the OP has an impossible task ahead of her to lose a pooch that I honestly don't see as a 'pooch.' And getting your ideal body is not just about losing weight. Just sayin'.

Bolded for emphasis.

ETA: OP, I think you're looking pretty good. I can understand if you want to focus more on fat loss for overall health (in which case, you don't seem to have too much of) that would be understandable. As far as how flat or not flat your tummy may look to you, I think you're looking too far into it. :)

Of course, we all know that she is already thin. She is in a position where she is now looking to change her musculature and create a strong core that transforms the way she holds her posture and form. It is very difficult task. Not an impossoible one. But for those of you saying that you don't see it as a problem, you're stomach looks great as it is, that's not what she's looking for, and until you get into a position where you are thin and looking to transform your shape, you can't really understand.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem - I blame bloating. I had that little pooch when I was eating high carb/high sodium foods. Now that I've cut way back on those, the tummy is flattening.

If you can grab it all in your hands then I guess it's fat and you need to work on lowering your BF %. If it feels hard under the skin, definitely bloating.

That's my take anyway.
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ugh same here. I'm down to 100 pounds and still can't get my stomach flat...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP--what is your physical activity like? Do you exercise?
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options

No.
    Just...no.

Why no? She doesn't have excess fat really, that's more of lack of good strong core muscles to hold her abdomen in. Weight training and core exercises will help a lot. You may not end up with a six pack but good core muscles are essential for anyone.

That's not what I'm "no"ing. That's beneficial advice for anyone.

It's the douchey way they went about giving advice. Makes it sound like the OP has an impossible task ahead of her to lose a pooch that I honestly don't see as a 'pooch.' And getting your ideal body is not just about losing weight. Just sayin'.

Bolded for emphasis.

ETA: OP, I think you're looking pretty good. I can understand if you want to focus more on fat loss for overall health (in which case, you don't seem to have too much of) that would be understandable. As far as how flat or not flat your tummy may look to you, I think you're looking too far into it. :)

Of course, we all know that she is already thin. She is in a position where she is now looking to change her musculature and create a strong core that transforms the way she holds her posture and form. It is very difficult task. Not an impossoible one. But for those of you saying that you don't see it as a problem, you're stomach looks great as it is, that's not what she's looking for, and until you get into a position where you are thin and looking to transform your shape, you can't really understand.

Oh. Well thanks for educating us. :laugh:
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    The main message I'm reading here, (other than you look great!) is that you should do strength training. You've done the cardio to get the fat down, now build up the muscle. Keep doing cardio to maintain, but if you focus more on the strengthening your core (and the rest of you) your body will start taking on the shape I think you're looking for. Give it patience and time, tho.
  • tonia_xo
    tonia_xo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was doing lots of cardio before, perhaps too much when I was really trying to lose the fat. I started doing an hour a day 6 days a week, then 30 minutes 6 days a week, and now it's like 20 minutes 3-4 times a week (I've gotten lazy!). I walk at least 30 mins a day as well. I recently bought a gym ball and weights so I can't start doing strength training but don't know where to start? My core is currently really weak, can't do any sit ups or push ups for example. Does anyone have advice about what exercises to do, how many reps, and also how much I should be eating? Before I was eating 1200-1400 kcals but am now up to 1600-1800, is that about right?
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I was doing lots of cardio before, perhaps too much when I was really trying to lose the fat. I started doing an hour a day 6 days a week, then 30 minutes 6 days a week, and now it's like 20 minutes 3-4 times a week (I've gotten lazy!). I walk at least 30 mins a day as well. I recently bought a gym ball and weights so I can't start doing strength training but don't know where to start? My core is currently really weak, can't do any sit ups or push ups for example. Does anyone have advice about what exercises to do, how many reps, and also how much I should be eating? Before I was eating 1200-1400 kcals but am now up to 1600-1800, is that about right?

I am your height and I eat 2400 kcal a day :) But I lift.

There are lots of strength training routines out there--look up the New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, AllPro, and Starting Strength. I like Starting Strength the most of all these.

The thing you should probably know about your core muscles is that they work isometrically, meaning they are supposed to keep your trunk erect and rigid as you move around. For example, if you are running on an uneven surface, your core muscles will be engaged (including your abs) to keep your balance. Or, if you are doing loaded squats with a barbell on your back, the abs will work hard to keep your trunk rigid. Some of the most impressive trunk musculature I've seen is on people who haven't done a sit-up in years. I sure haven't--hate those things.

If all you can do is body weight exercises, push-ups are not a bad place to start. If you cannot do a full push-up off the floor, try doing it on an incline, with your hands on a step or a chair. Then gradually build up to a full push-up by lowering the incline.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Tonia, we are very similar, I'm 5'6" and weigh 112 lbs with a BMI of 18.2. The advice I'm quoting is good. Some people don't like the delivery but it's sound. The thing you need to focus on is reducing your body fat percentage. I started my body transformation in June. You see, we can be of a normal weight, but still have a high body fat %. It's not healthy, nor does it give us the appearance we are after. You'll want to add some resistance or strength training to your routine. You can start with body weight exercises then gradually increase to weights if you like. Some cardio is also going to be necessary as well.

There's some great information on body weight exercises on NerdFitness.com. Here's another good resource for you:

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/BasicProgram.html
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Like Bumblebums above me (she knows her stuff by the way), after considering the four beginning full body strength programs she mentioned, I chose Starting Strength. Even if you don't do the program, the book is a must read for any person with a desire to begin lifting.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

What the.....???

OP, ignore this. ALL of it.

^^This.

It's really not that hard. Try a full pilates class twice a week for a few months. Once you build up the strength, 30 once a week (or a few minutes every other day) is sufficient to maintain the ab strength that will give a person with low body fat a nice flat tummy.
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    to be honest id kill for a tummy as flat as urs! suppose its only you that knows when your happy with what you have

Have you tried joining a gym? mine has trainers and you can ask them what type of core excersises will help and they should show you

I have been told to do ab blast classes which is 15 minutes of core training a day. I have a big tummy but can feel me getting stronger abs :)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Like Bumblebums above me (she knows her stuff by the way), after considering the four beginning full body strength programs she mentioned, I chose Starting Strength. Even if you don't do the program, the book is a must read for any person with a desire to begin lifting.

Aaw, thanks! [blush]

OP, planks are a slightly easier alternative to push-ups, as far as bodyweight stuff goes.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Aaw, thanks! [blush]

OP, planks are a slightly easier alternative to push-ups, as far as bodyweight stuff goes.

I never to sit ups or any ab crunching, spine jarring exercise. There's lots of versions of plank to challenge your core and it may look easy but try it! I've seen grown men that can't hold a bent arm plank for a minute!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump cus your stomach looks like mine..... I just upped my plank to 4 minutes every night. i see a difference and it's only been like a week.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    My question is how do I get a stomach that looks like yours? It looks great!!!!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Before and after. Main difference being strength training. I didn't see much definition in the abs until I started that....

Highly recommend a good strength training program 3 days a week and then just do your cardio the other days if you wish. :) That's what I do.

12_zpsd13440e4.jpg
  • KelliB3
    KelliB3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said - you look great! I'm 5'7" and right now weigh around 150 lbs - I'm happy with every part of my body EXCEPT my stomach. It just seems like it won't go down - some days I swear it's gone out more. I've had two complete strangers on separate occasions ask me if I was pregnant. Complete assh**les of course, but it's stuck with me. I run 2-3 times a week and do cycling and aerobics mixed with light weights in between but I feel like it's not working.

I've recently started doing 10 minute ab workouts a few times a week. I can feel my core getting stronger but just underneath all of the flab. *Sigh*

Sorry for the rant - i know this wasn't helpful to you but wanted to let you know that you're not alone and that you've actually got a nice stomach going on that plenty of us would kill for!