Weight Maintenance & Increasing Calories

Options
Hello MFP! I reached my goal weight a few months ago, but instead of increasing my calories to 2000 for maintenance, I decided to stick with my 1200 calorie range. I had a month long stay in New Orleans and New York, separately. I knew I would be eating so I kept my cals at 1200. I've been able to maintain my weight loss, BUT at 1200 calories I should have lost weight, right? Now I'm concerned that if I up my calories, I will gain weight. I think the slowdown in weight loss, maybe due to the kinds of foods that I'm eating. Although, I'm sticking within the calorie range- I've been eating a lot of "junky" food, especially sugar. With trips to New York and New Orleans, and my 35th b-day, I've also had more alcohol too :( Another possibility is that I'm not accurately counting my food calories, I haven't been measuring as much.

I'm going to start measuring my foods and logging properly. I'm also going to reduce the process foods and sugar in my diet. Hopefully, that helps!

What has been your experience?

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I plan on increasing by 100 per week or so until maintenance. I wouldn't want to have to sustain a 1200-1300 calorie diet forever.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I plan on increasing by 100 per week or so until maintenance. I wouldn't want to have to sustain a 1200-1300 calorie diet forever.

this - i cant imagine anyone trying to live on 1200 cals for a long period of time!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

Go up gradually and do some lifting to build muscle.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you- I need to work on toning and lifting as well!