Need some fitness advice. PLEASE!

I've been with MFP for 4 weeks now. Losing weight (slowly but consistent-even with week off for vacation where I didn't exercise). My exercise consists of 30 min. treadmill walking @ 4 mph, uphill (3.5) 6 days a week. I want to strength train at home. Muscles in bad shape, not strong (especially upper body). So many articles, suggestions.....ugh. What exercises to do (want all over) to start with? How often? Am I doing TOO MUCH cardio? Feel myself getting somewhat stronger with walking but some days are tough and I feel tired. Afraid to stop routine for fear of weight gain or no loss. THANKS!

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Do you have equipment at home?
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    My sister's friend is a personal trainer and she suggested body weight exercises. If you google it you can find a lot of suggestions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,897 Member
    Start with the push up and basic body squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    I would suggest to start with some easy bodyweight exercises and build up to some type of weight training if you have never lifted before and feel like your upper body is week. This is a great article with some easy bodyweight exercises that can help you gain strength;
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201204/bodyweight-workout

You can always do variations of the exercises to make them easier or harder as you progress. As far as too much cardio, it really depends on your goals. If your goal is just to shed weight than your fine but I would definately stick in some strength training to try and retain as much lean mass as possible! Good luck!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    What are your goals and what do you enjoy doing? I enjoy a mix of running, heavy bag work, and weight lifting.

Some ideas:

(1) If you want a quality weight lifting program, then read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

(2) If you want to do bodyweight exercises, then get the books "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning" (disclosure: I haven't read these but friends seem to like them), or get some ideas from here: nerdfitness.com

(3) Or what about getting a sandbag? Just google "sandbag training" and you'll get a variety of choices, or make your own.

Of course, the one I'd personally recommend is (1), but that's me and my preferences. Find something that you enjoy and will keep doing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Do you have equipment at home?

This^

If you don't have weights (yet) .... look for some body weight exercises: squats, push ups, planks, crunches. I'm not good with "paper workouts" ...... but I'm sure someone can help you with a good book suggestion.

I like DVDs..... this one doesn't need equipment: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-body-training-5756

Don't let the "intermediate/advanced" rating scare you off. There are modifications shown throughout. There are 2 workouts & lots of premixes ... to keep it fresh.
  • no equipment for strength training
  • Thanks...I will do that. Lots of "body weight" here to work with! :laugh:
  • Thanks. Squats are difficult due to pretty bad knee pain (arthritis and genetically high riding knee cap). What is an alternative to squats (if there is) that won't hurt the knees so bad?
  • Thanks! That's great advice. I do want to shed weight (have about 30-40lbs. on me that needs to go) but part of the reason for starting this topic is I knew I was too one-sided with my exercise. I really don't care for exercise but realize it is important for many reasons. Thanks again!
  • Thanks! Great advice. I don't want to make excuse like the constant arthritic pain in my knees or my age (46) which is what got me to this weight to begin with. What it boils down to is lack of exercise, bad eating habits, and sluggish metabolism because of it all. I will look into these sites....thanks again!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Thanks. Squats are difficult due to pretty bad knee pain (arthritis and genetically high riding knee cap). What is an alternative to squats (if there is) that won't hurt the knees so bad?

Most people find that squats actually help their dodgy knees. You need to make sure your form is good, keeping weight back in the heels and bending from the hips. Try to hit parallel or lower.
  • Thanks! I will do that :happy: