Going on holiday to Turkey - what shall I eat?

Options
I refuse to put on any weight on holiday. Yes yes I can hear you mumbling, please don't comment if you feel the urge to insult.

Give me some low calorie foods that I can eat in Turkey please :)

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Eat kebabs. LOTS of them. Turkish, Afghani and Iraqi kebabs are some of the best out there. Besides that, I don't really know much about Turkish cuisine. Just experience and explore really.

As for not putting on weight, you will be walking around so much that regardless of you pigging out, you won't be putting on weight. Infact a friend who went to greece recently came back and she told us that she lost like 5 or so lbs in a 3 weeks vacation while eating everything in sight.

Good luck and have fun :)
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great choice, we've been there 4 times! There's always grilled meat or fish on menus and loads of salads. Just watch for the mixed variety with pasta and mayo same as at home. Most meals come with a portion of rice AND fries with salad or veg. Just ask for no fries.
    But remember you are on holiday and you've worked hard to get there so make sure you enjoy yourself too!! :happy:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh my favorite Turkey! Love this country!

Where exactly are you going to be? Tell me the city, I'll recommend you good places to eat, to hang out and to shop :)

Turkish food s pretty healthy, consists mostly of meat, seafood, chicken and veggies. Also rice and bread but you can eat less of it.

You MUST try Hünkar Beğendi (aka Sultan delight). It's eggplant purée with lamb. It's my favorite food! It's also pretty healthy.

Off course you must try Dolma - it's traditional food or Mediterranean, came from the Ottoman Empire to even India, Israil, Lebanon and Russia. It's wrapped wine leaves with fillings of either meat and spices or just veggies and spices.

I love Manti - it's like big ravioli steamed with spices. My mom loves it!

Of course Karnıyarık - eggplants stuffed with meat, veggies and spices! Love eggplants!

The most famous Turkish food in America are Doner, kebab and kofte. Doner are slices of meat grilled vertically on fire, you're served little pieces sliced from the doner. LOVE it, pure meat, pure healthy protein.
    Kebab is also grilled meat but its cooked in horizontal way. Kofte is like meatballs.

And you MUST try my favorite cacik - it's fresh yogurt with cucumber and spices.

And if you can do it, try some desserts. They're VERY sweet and high in calories but you can't it too many.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean is tasty & healthy! Kabobs, seafood, vegetables, oils, olives - it's all so good.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot about mezze. It's combination of side dishes/snacks.

Most street restaurants serve their food with huuuuuuuuuge salads so don't order any additional salads. Food is very cheap there comparing to the USA but so fresh and tasty!

Also pilaf - fried or boiled rice with spices.

And also lahmacun - it's very thin pizza like dish.

Enjoy your vacation and feel free to ask me anything!