What's the deal with fizzy water?

Options
I love fizzy water, not soda or diet drinks but sparkling water with a dash of lime in it. Apparently that is a terrible weight loss aid. Why? I hate still water.

Replies

• cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Never heard that before. I'd like to know too. I drink it often. Lately I'm loving homemade iced rooibus tea. It's also calorie-free and very tasty.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I haven't heard that either. I love a little sparkling water with fruit squished in.
  • danielledrinkwine1
    danielledrinkwine1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this and to me it makes no sense. I love sparkling ice flavored no calorie sparkling water. It's sweet enough to stop a sugar craving without any calories and it's water how can it be a problem?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I love fizzy water, not soda or diet drinks but sparkling water with a dash of lime in it. Apparently that is a terrible weight loss aid.
    According to whom?
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just when I look online they are always saying it is bad for weight loss - fizzy drinks, or are they referring to soda more specifically?
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Specifically soda. Carbonated water just has bubbles in it as far as I can tell.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ah well thank fudge!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Fizzy juice is bad for you, but not carbonated water. All that has added to it is a little gas.

No extra fat or sugars like Sodas such as Coke, Irn Bru, etc.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    So funny - in America we call it seltzer, club soda (which is slightly different) or, in some regions, soda water or sparkling water. But never fizzy water.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others above and view it no differently than still water. I have a Soda Stream machine at home to make my own and always have it in the house. Water + Carbonation = Water, imo.
  • jenwarship
    jenwarship Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently asked both her doctor and dentist about sparkling water. The verdict: t's the same as water. No ill effects. Yay!!!

I love sparkling water. It makes me feel fancy. :)
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that. I drink a lot of sparkling water (not mineral or sparkling with sodium in it, it's just fizzy). I guess it could possibly bloat you if you drink too much of it because of the fizz, but it won't hinder your weight loss efforts.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Also, if I'm having a couple of alcoholic drinks, and need something that's non alcoholic in between, fizzy water is my go to drink.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So funny - in America we call it seltzer, club soda (which is slightly different) or, in some regions, soda water or sparkling water. But never fizzy water.

Actually, they're not the same thing: fizzy water is just carbonated spring water or mineral water (like Perrier for example), soda water is soda water :smile:
  • n4t4sh4
    n4t4sh4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too drink sparkling water but watch out for calories/sugar if you purchase it instore. Something like sparkling water with lemon & lime pre packaged is 16cal for 1 litre but 2g sugar. I agree its better than coke/diet drinks but if you are purchasing it pre packaged remember to log it.

I am hoping to purchase a soda stream soon as I have been puying pre packaged sparkling water with added flavours (as above) and it mounts up if you drink as much as I do! I am on plain water for a while now :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love my Sodastream, love it! Turn tap water into fizzy water any time I'm wanting bubbles.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Fizzy water or diet soda do not effect fat loss.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I read somewhere that fizzy water could lead to bloating...

I don't care, still can't go without.

And regardless, it's much better than soda