When will I see results?!?!

Options
Hey there! I was just wondering when I will begin to see results from my weight loss. I have lost 7 pounds so far, and I can't wait to keep going. I'm 5'6, by the way. When did you begin to see results from your weight loss? Thanks so much!:)

Replies

• fairyt4l3s
    fairyt4l3s Posts: 31
    Options
    I am finding that each week is different! Some weeks I'll lose 1lbs and others 2lbs... One week I managed to lose 4lbs (not sure how... I was eating and exercising the same!) just keep at it and you'll get there :)
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I still can't tell, and I've lost 34 pounds. I feel great though, and all of my pants are two sizes too big, that has been my biggest measure of success so far. My family and friends from home that I don't see that often notice right away, but people who see me every day didn't know I lost weight until I told them I did.

To be fair, though, when I weighed 34 pounds more than I do now, I was wearing very loose fitting tops to hide my hips and belly, so nobody could really see all that I had going on. Now I'm much more confident and wear fitted shirts.
  • laurenfleetwood58
    Options
    Hey, have you not taken pictures?
    When i first started i took a picture of my self. After i lost half a stone i took my next picture. Even though i didnt feel any different you could see how my body had changed already, especially around my waist!

Keep going.

If you havent taken pictures do one now then another when you have lost more weight.

Its horrible to do to start with but i have lost 22 pounds so far and its great to compare the photos!! It really motivates you to keep going :) xx
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    Everyone is different, depending on factors like height, weight, BF% you may se results tomoro or a few months from that. I didnt see anything til about 3 months in (30-40 lbs)
  • castlefire
    Options
    I would say I could physically see the difference after about 20lbs.....But I could feel the difference probably after the first week or two. I was 300lbs and have lost 76 pounds so far. for me the weight loss went from 3-4 lbs a week to maybe .2 to .4 a week if any but each week that goes by now even with less weight being lost I feel better and better. I can honestly say after 210 days I feel better physically and mentally than I have my entire life (even back when I was 155lbs at 20). Keep up the good work! As your name says you CAN do it!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm your height! I have also lost 7.5 pounds since I've joined MFP. I'm guessing the first ten won't be too noticable, but the next 10 will be. When I lost 83 pounds on Weight Watchers years ago, no one could really tell until I'd lost at least 30, maybe more. Depends on your starting size.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Someone explained it this way, and it made a lot of sense to me: think of your body as a roll of toilet paper with your goal weight being the tube wrapped by "pounds" of sheets. When the roll is full (your starting weight), you have to take off lots and lots of sheets for you to notice the roll is getting smaller. But the closer you get to the tube, it takes fewer and fewer sheets to notice change.

Fat's the same way. It's going to take a little while for your body to show a big difference at first. I've lost 12lbs and still look the same naked to myself, but I've gone down a jeans size. It helps to measure by clothing fit at first, it'll be a better gauge than your eyes.
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing 8 years ago, it was an inadvertent thing. I didn’t notice until 20 pounds later, while my roommates noticed way before that. Then I maintained for a couple years and started a new job and once again accidentally lost 12 pounds. I started trying to lose and lost another 7 and my roommates and friends didn’t notice and neither did my family.

4 years ago I moved out of state and started trying to get in shape and lost 6 pounds and everyone could tell. I’ve been maintaining for a while and just started getting in shape again in early may. I’ve lost 9 pounds since then and all of my coworkers and my boyfriend can tell, but I can’t tell and my friends can’t tell.

Much like losing dress sizes, I don’t think that there is a set number.
  • Dantilla
    Dantilla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You lost 7 pounds? I certainly call that seeing results!
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Someone explained it this way, and it made a lot of sense to me: think of your body as a roll of toilet paper with your goal weight being the tube wrapped by "pounds" of sheets. When the roll is full (your starting weight), you have to take off lots and lots of sheets for you to notice the roll is getting smaller. But the closer you get to the tube, it takes fewer and fewer sheets to notice change.

I like this. I'm stealing it :tongue:
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It so weird because sometimes I wake up feeling skinnier but the scale shows nothing. Other times I wake up feeling fat or bloated and I have actually lost 2 lbs. In the past once I have lost 20 lbs I can wear different clothes and that makes me feel thinner. In general I don't feel thin unless I am in the 160's (5'5).
  • vickiestanton
    Options
    Off subject but where did you get that little weight loss ruler... I have seen others with it as well.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Off subject but where did you get that little weight loss ruler... I have seen others with it as well.

At the top of the page under apps, choose the sub category tickers.
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Be patient and do the right thng.

Here's my story: At 6'2", I weighed 303 or so--I was pretty big. My wife noticed I was losing after about 10 lbs. I didn't notice until I had lost 20 lbs. Some of the ladies at work started noticing after about 40-45 lbs. The folks I work with closely (all guys, mind you--not that I want to stereotype or anything) did not notice until I had passed 60 pounds!

Remember you are doing this for yourself and for the right reasons. The weight didn't go on overnight, nor will it come off overnight.

Good luck, and be strong! You can do this!
  • xxicandoit7797xx
    Options
    Thank you guys! I was technically asking when my clothes will start to fit differently, and I am BEYOND excited that the scale weighs 7 pounds lighter! All of you are wonderful, and keep up the hard work!:smooched:
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Fat's the same way. It's going to take a little while for your body to show a big difference at first. I've lost 12lbs and still look the same naked to myself, but I've gone down a jeans size. It helps to measure by clothing fit at first, it'll be a better gauge than your eyes.

I like this one. The other metaphor that I've heard is like it's peeling the layers off of an onion.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb I have found for most people except those who are extremely overweight. On a healthy weight loss routine (losing between 1-2 pounds a week):

At the 3 month mark
    You, and those closest to you (ie. significant other/best friend/family member you see daily) should start to visibly see the difference.

At the 6 month mark:
    Closer acquaintances and friends, not so close family members, the ex you hate.

At the 9 month mark:
    Everyone

Also. It is waaaay more beneficial for you to track your progress by a measuring tape than it is a scale. In an intense workout week you can go + or - a good amount of pounds in just water weight (not uncommon for me to go down or up 5 pounds).