Strangers better than ppl we know?!

Options
SkinnyMsFitness
SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
Hi all!

I wanna know what's wrong with me? Why am I so comfortable with people I barley know online...with posting pics, talking about 'anything,' etc....??? I'm so shy IRL! Just like this facebook thing. When I have strangers on my account, I confidently post anything I please. When I have ppl as friends that I actually know, I feel I cannot be myself...always 2nd guessing my actions. I get very anxious with this.

I'm an odd one. What's going on? lol

Replies

• griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would offer, you can say whatever you want on MFP without any real retribution. In other words, you can be yourself and not worry too much about judgement. Additionally, you don't ever have to meet anybody on here face-to-face. In your real life, you have to face those people and you probably are more reserved because of that fact.

Just an idea.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It helps to know I'm not alone. Here I go again...probably going to delete my fb and start a new one...since, ya know, there's fam members on there. They just end up pissing me off. I think strangers are less ignorant with communication too! lol That's a major pet peeve of mine - communication!
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would offer, you can say whatever you want on MFP without any real retribution. In other words, you can be yourself and not worry too much about judgement. Additionally, you don't ever have to meet anybody on here face-to-face. In your real life, you have to face those people and you probably are more reserved because of that fact.

Just an idea.

Yep this sums it up....and I am exactly the same
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Just an idea.

Pretty much.

We observe you as separate points of information, but to people in real life you are a summation of all the information they know about you.
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    you are not alone!! I'm the same way. I feel like people I know judge me if I eat a piece of bread! but people on here, like-minded, like-willed people understand the difference between counting calories and being healthy :)

keep up your fantastic work -- you're awesome!
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know how u feel!

This place is also a gathering of people with like minded goals... tracking calories/fitness/health... whereas in real life u may not have that particular aspect of ur life in common with friends, family or colleagues. I find it very difficult to portray to my partner how challenging losing weight is for me, and why I count calories. He often says 'lets eat out' or brings home beer or pizza and has no grasp on my daily 'allowance' even though I have tried to show him. Its nice to be in this environment where everyone supports and just 'gets it'.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You are not odd! I feel exactly the same!!
  • lisquito
    lisquito Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You know, I feel the same way. I'm not sure if its because I don't want them all up in my business, or because I feel like I will have more candid conversations with people here, but having the ability to just leave the people in my life out of this makes me a lot happier! It also circumvents them associating any previous history with my ability/desire/drive to lose weight!

To be fair, when I saw a friend had MFP on FB, I invited her to add me here. Shes the only one I know in RL, but even then she lives in another city. Not sure why it matters but it makes a big difference to me!
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I wanna know what's wrong with me? Why am I so comfortable with people I barley know online...with posting pics, talking about 'anything,' etc....??? I'm so shy IRL! Just like this facebook thing. When I have strangers on my account, I confidently post anything I please. When I have ppl as friends that I actually know, I feel I cannot be myself...always 2nd guessing my actions. I get very anxious with this.

I'm an odd one. What's going on? lol

Awww girl....i'd be you friend IRL lol. Even though you called me a smart *kitten* :tongue:
  • Drunx
    Drunx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i have the same feels