anyone run with a lot of uphills on their routes?

Options
On my cardio days, I basically run for 30 minutes, on the 1/2 mile loop of my parking lot. Half of it is a long, continuous uphill segment--absolutely brutal towards the end, but I get such a rush from doing this instead of running on flat terrain.

SO, any of you really love running uphill? (and the downhills are good too, use an entirely different set of muscles)

yes I'm bored...haha

Replies

• amandajones1978
    Options
    I have HIIT cardio 3x a week and I use the incline on the treadmill. You're right, after running uphill for a couple minutes its brutal!
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    I have a similar course that is 1/4 mile, 100 yards of which is about a 30 degree uphill slope. I jog moderate up to that then sprint up the hill, jog to hill and sprint again. Repeat for 20 minutes. More of a HIIT and the hill part is extremely brutal, my heart rate gets up to 160s on the hill.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of conquering the hill after I've ran it...passing people helps too :)
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My brother just started me on his "program" of running sprints both uphill and down. It suuuuuucks. But I know it's good for me :)
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I currently do a just over 3k route, as i leave its all down hill, at the end its back up hill :noway: The route i have to go to 5k means more hills that are bigger. It kills me at the mo but know its better for me and i feel i have achieved more than just running on the flat. Plus running down hill is great :laugh:

I have no choice in it so i might as well make use of it.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of getting to the top of a hill! I have a decently hilly neighborhood so when I do run outside I definitely get to conquer a few.
  • AmberCarr
    AmberCarr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have an incline trainer. I haven't gotten to a point where I can RUN at an incline but it sure has helped me over the past month to get in better physical condition. I am not a runner but I decided to sign up for a 4 mile run in September and I started a 5k training program on my trainer and I can honestly say that if I hadn't been doing 3 weeks of incline training everyday I would never have been able to do the first workout for the 5k!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I run 4x per week. I typically have two of those runs on a hilly course. Originally hurt my pride, logging in such slow runs. However I train to race well, not to show fast training runs on my log

As far as your question - I don't think saying running uphill is something I love would be an accurate statement.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run a lot of hilly routes. The only time I go for flat is when I have pace work to do. The most severe of the routes has about 250 feet of climb over 3/4 of a mile. Here is a map of the long run route that I ran this past weekend with the elevation chart at the bottom.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/f395f426a792443989cc9b545ae45445/workouts/fc43831c513b42958862c8b6d801154f/map
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started trail running in the woods. It's an absolute BLAST! All the hills, twists, turns and roots/logs to jump over - makes the time go by in a wink. I'm always like...."What? Done already?" It's weird, I can run (some walking) in the woods for an hour, but put me on a treadmill and I want to kill myself in 10 minutes.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It's relatively flat where I live. So I try to find the hilliest route that I can for my long runs to help with my pace overall. I also do "hill repeats" where the "hill" is about 0.1 or 0.15 mile long and keep running up and down it about 8 to 10 times. I'm sure that the residents in that neighborhood must think I'm nuts. LOL