15 minute mile jogging calorie calculator

Options
I am building up my running, and am up to 4 miles in one hour. I am working hard, heart rate up, sweating, and feeling like I am actually accomplishing something. Yet....when I go to plug in my calories burned, there is no setting for jogging a 15 minute mile. I did find one and put it in MFP....but I don't think it was very accurate as it was for a woman weighing 130, and I am 155. I searched for a bit to try to find another calculator, but couldn't find one with anything slower than a 12 minute mile. Anyone have a good one that they can share with me so I can be accurate when I go at slower rates than 12 minutes?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The general rule is that the average person burns about 100 calories per mile, regardless of speed.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I use RunKeeper app for tracking walks/jogs. I'm not up to running yet.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The general rule is that the average person burns about 100 calories per mile, regardless of speed.

It does vary by intensity and your fitness level, but this is a good guideline.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    CrazyCatLadylovescats Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! The one calculator I found said 243 calories for the 4 miles in an hour....seemed really low! I will check out that app too!

It is discouraging when the amount that I am going is not even listed....as though it is below the level of fitness that a normal American would be doing (when in fact, most people I know couldn't even jog for an hour.)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is MFP doesn't recognize a 15 minute mile as jogging or running. Instead you will find it in walking most likely. MFP doesn't see the difference in height, just speed.

ETA: I found the Nike+ running app for the iPhone is about 5 calories different from actually using my HRM.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just keep going! You are doing awesome if you can jog for an hour at a time. I am guessing you are short like me and you have short legs so it takes more work to move the same length of space (I could never jog with my 14 inches taller than me husband, there's just no way regardless how fit I became).
  • jandadelaney
    jandadelaney Posts: 3 Member
    Options

It does vary by intensity and your fitness level, but this is a good guideline.
    Really? I've been seriously underestimating then. I have myself down for 150 calories for 3 miles @ a 12minute pace.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As a ballpark Runners World suggests:

Running

.75 x your weight (in lbs.) x distance in miles (gross calories burned)

.63 x your weight x distance in miles (net calories burned)

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Net calories are the more important number (in the context of weight loss) as they represent the additional calories expended as a result of the exercise, gross calories include BMR but are useful for planing fueling strategies for long runs. (Walking is about 1/2 the net calories of running)
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I must be dense...or my computer is acting up. I keep getting a message that the amount and time I ran are unrealistic! I entered 4 for distance, clicked miles, entered 01.00.00 for time and my weight. What am I doing wrong?
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    you need to use colons : not period . for the time

1:00:00
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I must be dense...or my computer is acting up. I keep getting a message that the amount and time I ran are unrealistic! I entered 4 for distance, clicked miles, entered 01.00.00 for time and my weight. What am I doing wrong?

Try using a colon instead of a period

01:00:00

And thanks to the person posted the link!
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    As a ballpark Runners World suggests:

Running

.75 x your weight (in lbs.) x distance in miles (gross calories burned)

.63 x your weight x distance in miles (net calories burned)

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Net calories are the more important number (in the context of weight loss) as they represent the additional calories expended as a result of the exercise, gross calories include BMR but are useful for planing fueling strategies for long runs. (Walking is about 1/2 the net calories of running)

Thank you for this info, I found it quit helpful.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Dense it is - didn't think of the colon!