When did you resize your ring?

Options
I've lost 60 lbs so far, yay! But I still have a long way to go (at least 70 or 80 more pounds).

My wedding ring is already falling off. I'm always losing it in the dryer when I'm throwing clothes in, or in the shower.

How long did you wait before getting yours re-sized?

Part of me is worried about the embarrassment of having to get it bigger again if I gain weight.

Replies

• alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant for my son my hands (and feet, but that's off topic) got quite swollen from water weight. Since I knew the puffiness would go down I didn't want to resize my rings I started wearing them as a necklace. I have a very pretty locket now, with pictures of my husband and son, that I put my rings on if I can't wear them, or if I'm doing something that might endanger them. A pretty locket or some other significant piece of jewelry might be a nice reward for all the hard work you've done so far!

Edit to say: Great job on 60 pounds!!!!!!!!
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I am in a similar position. My ring was falling off all the time, but I only want to resize it once. My solution: I wrapped a band-aid around the inside portion of the band. It helps keep my ring in place, and it's cheap and simple. Maybe that would work for you too. And congratulations on your loss!
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I sized mine after I reached my goal. Then I had to do it again, after staying about the same weight for a while. I think you should just do it. It could be a while before your body has fully adjusted even after reaching your goal weight. You definitely don't want to lose it.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant for my son my hands (and feet, but that's off topic) got quite swollen from water weight. Since I knew the puffiness would go down I didn't want to resize my rings I started wearing them as a necklace. I have a very pretty locket now, with pictures of my husband and son, that I put my rings on if I can't wear them, or if I'm doing something that might endanger them. A pretty locket or some other significant piece of jewelry might be a nice reward for all the hard work you've done so far!

Edit to say: Great job on 60 pounds!!!!!!!!

This is a great idea :) and I agree- awesome excuse for something pretty and shiney :)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Get a ring guard! They're not expensive and they don't damage your ring and you can adjust as necessary until you're certain you're at (and will stay at) your GW. Plus if you want to splurge you can get ones that fancy up your ring even more.
  • jewel22887
    jewel22887 Posts: 72
    Options
    You could always wear it around your neck on a chain until you reach your goal weight. Have hubby buy you a costume jewlery ring or something if he's worried about you running off but constantly resizing a ring messes with the integrity of the metal.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    At about 40lb lost my wedding and engagement rings started getting loose, at 60lbs lost my husband replaced my engagement ring, at 90lbs lost I could probably do with getting it made smaller. My original rings are kept safe and when I get to goal I will see if I can get them resized. I have no plans to ever need them bigger again :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just moved my rings onto different fingers, once I reach my goal weight (or a weight I am content with) I will be going to get them resized.
  • mamabisme
    mamabisme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 and have a ring guard on mine right now. You can pick one up at any jewelry store for cheap. I will resize when I get to goal and stay there for a bit.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've tried cheap ring guards but I find the ring guards fall off too! I'm getting into the routine of taken the rings off when I know they will fall (during exercise, washing up, tidying etc) and wearing then around my next a few times too (though DH is worried someone will try to snatch them off me there...).

I've got another 20 - 30 lbs to go too so don't want to resize yet...

It's a weird feeling not having your wedding ring on after 8 years of it being there :-/

Nyk
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm just happy I can get my rings on again. I was wearing them on a necklace the last couple of years when I couldn't get them on anymore. Would be nice to get to a point where they're too big, but it's a long ways away.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just moved my rings onto different fingers, once I reach my goal weight (or a weight I am content with) I will be going to get them resized.

This is what I have done. I don't want to do anything in the summer when I swell up with the humidity but even with that it won't stay on my ring finger. My right hand is bigger and it stays on there really well.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs so far, yay! But I still have a long way to go (at least 70 or 80 more pounds).

My wedding ring is already falling off. I'm always losing it in the dryer when I'm throwing clothes in, or in the shower.

How long did you wait before getting yours re-sized?

Part of me is worried about the embarrassment of having to get it bigger again if I gain weight.

I took mine off a few months ago and I'm not getting it resized till the end of the year. My body is still changing shape quite a bit (I actually dropped a pant size, while I was in maintenance and not losing weight anymore). I bought a cheapy $10 band at Kohls and wear that for now :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My goldsmith won't touch my rings until around Oct - he already sized them for me last Nov. I like wearing my rings tight, and right now they are loose even on my right hand. Instead I wear a beautiful blue topaz ring on my ring finger
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wearing mine on my index finger. I could safely have it resized now, and just haven't gotten around to it (I don't think my fingers will get any smaller). They want a lot of money to resize mine so I was waiting as long as possible.