Suggestions to stop boredom eating

I've had a problem with overeating and snacking my whole life. I don't eat unhealthy snacks very often, but I feel like I'm constantly grazing. It doesn't help that I eat when I'm bored.

Any tricks or tips to distracting myself from continuously eating? Especially for at work (a desk job) and when watching TV at home.

Replies

• cressar
    cressar Posts: 7 Member
    Sip at a hot cup fo green tea! It's delicious and raises your metabolism while you're sitting there!
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    I made a rule not to eat anything unless I have it portioned onto a plate or bowl in front of me, sitting down to focus on eating and enjoying it. I try to avoid attaching any kind of rules to food, but this one really helps me. Binges happen less when I enforce this, because normally when I binge I do it standing up in the kitchen or while watching TV. And always right out of the package or container, never portioned out.

I work a desk job too, and I've found that prepping all my food (carrots in baggies, trail mix portioned into baggies, etc) and not bringing more than enough for one day at a time helps tremendously. Don't keep full bags of snacks or anything near your desk. If your office has a candy dish, stay away from that too!

Hope that helps. :)
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Seriously?

Do something. It's going to be a little harder at work, but at home get up and walk around. Do some pushup or some other type of exertion, they tend to kill my hunger.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    I'm a TV and popcorn gal at night and I found it helped me to portion the calories I was comfortable with... actually measure how much popcorn I would eat. That way I'm not really denying myself the snack, just making sure it's a healthy portion. I've also really taken to TV workouts, it's like a fun game while I watch True Blood or Dexter(15 push ups when we see fangs, 15 squats for sex, 15 jumping jacks when Dexter's in voice over etc) I feel good about sneaking a little extra calisthenics in. :) Hope this helps!

http://****yeahmovieworkouts.tumblr.com/post/24350017272/dexter-workout-want-to-see-more-workouts-like
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Take up a hobby that keeps your hands busy. Sip water or tea. Chew gum. Use delaying tactics. Tell yourself you won't get up for a snack for another 30/60 minutes. Usually, but then your brain will have moved onto something else.

If you're anything like me, it's a habit you'll have to stop over and over again before it finally sinks in. But it will eventually.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    At work I chew minty gum..keeps me tasting something sweet and it makes me thirsty so i drink more water like I am supposed to! lol
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    find more things to keep you busy, you can't eat if you are busy doing something that conflicts with eating
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Do you get breaks at work? Walk around the building.

Is there a handi cap stall in the bathroom? Do a bunch of squats.

Bored at home? Go to the gym.

Seriously, the cure for boredom isn't food, it's exercise.
  • Hi I work a desk job too. I eat if I am tired, frustrated or bored! So my new plan - get up and walk around the parking lot- takes 5 minutes, clears my mind and helps with solving programming problems too and keeps me from getting too stiff (I have RA). If it is raining I go up a few flights of stairs. Walking our parking lot 5 times in a day adds an extra mile to my steps and takes less time for one lap than one of the smokers takes to smoke one cigarette which is not healthy. I also bring a preplanned lunch bag.
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    For work I agree... gum and water works for me every time. I also don't go to the little work parties where all they have are carbs & sugar foods. When home just move. Walk, squats, jumping jacks, crunches, clean the house... really, anything works (and burns calories). :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I completely agree with planning and packing all your food for when you're at work. Don't bring any cash with you so you can't go to the vending machine. Do keep something in your drawer for emergency hungries. We all get them! I personally keep a couple extra protein bars and a box of Cheerios on hand at all times. Some sort of nut or homemade trail mix would be good to keep around too. And if you worry that you won't be able to stop at a normal portion of either of these, portion them out at home into snack baggies or containers and keep them in your desk that way.

Also, if you can, just come on to the message boards here at MFP when you're bored. It really helps pass the time and can be quite entertaining :)

For at home boredom, I have a couple trains of thought on this.

1) Are you really hungry? If so, you may not be eating enough or may not be eating the right balance of things (healthy fats and proteins are more filling than carbs, etc). So consider that as an option. If you are really hungry, make sure you have healthy snacks handy. A little air popped popcorn, some veggie sticks with hummus or a homemade light dip...

2) If it's really just boredom and you're not hungry, figure out what your trigger is. I have a horrible habit of watching cooking shows on the weekend and it always makes me want to eat something. This is usually also around the time that I'm doing housework so I just have to keep reminding myself that once I get everything done it'll be lunch time and I can eat soemthing then. Keeping busy helps. Maybe you could knit or do crossword puzzles while you watch TV? Sometimes if TV is too much of a trigger and there's not anything too interesting on anyway, I'll shut the TV off and read a good book instead.

I also like the idea of doing activities on the commercial breaks. Jumping jacks, punches, sit-ups, push-ups, planks, etc etc. I tend do this when I'm watching Biggest Loser because I feel guilty for just sitting on the couch while they're working their *kitten* off in the gym! LOL!
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks everyone!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I am a total grazed/snacker. The trick for me is just eating healthy, low calorie snacks. I keep carrot sticks and other veggies to snack on at work. At home, air popped popcorn.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    I just get up and avoid the kitchen. Go on a walk, read a book, anything really.
  • jillybe1
    jillybe1 Posts: 2
    I do that too. At work I keep a handful of unsalted raw almonds in my pocket. I pop one every time I feel like I want something, and they satisfy the chewing need. They're healthy fats and you can have about 12 for just about 100 calories - perfect size for one snack. Ideally you should have 3 healthy meals and 2 snacks about 100 calories each.
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Beautifullymadetoday Posts: 36 Member
    to get rid of boredome i dance its one of my passions something you enjoy doing
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Occupy your mind. Learn a new language. (Www.duolingo.com) Take a free online course. (www.coursera.org)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I had to literally banish snack food from my home and office until I gained the self control to manage my boredom on my own without eating.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Run... like zombies are chasing you.
  • Sip at a hot cup fo green tea! It's delicious and raises your metabolism while you're sitting there!

^^ The past few days I have started doing this while at work and it works so well! I find it more warming and satisfying than regular tea. I also try and distract myself at work by finding something to do that requires walking around such as printing stuff off or setting a time that I want to reach before eating anything snackish...I usually then forget and it is way later!