Do you consider yourself a food addict?

Options
I was discussing with a friend how hard it is to lose weight when you have people around you that just don't understand, and brush off your food addiction (it's just not a real addiction like alcohol or drugs to many people)

When I was married, I tried losing weight by going to WW, but my now ex-husband hated that I spent $12 a week at when in his words I could "just not eat so much" We even fought over it at the marriage counselors.

My friend is now having the same problem. Her husband sabotages her weight loss progress by bringing home trigger foods she loves (chips and dip), and just doesn't see it as a problem.

For me, I truly think I am addicted to certain foods. I simply can't walk away from my cupboard if I know there is something good in it. I have cravings for sugar constantly!! I think about food all the time, I have hidden food from people so I could eat it myself and not have to share. I've hidden when I've eaten stuff from people so no one will say anything about it. I've eaten a half gallon of icecream then run to the store to replace it so no one will notice I ate a whole half gallon by myself. I've shoved wrappers to the bottom of the garbage to hide what I've eaten. If that is not an addict, I'm not sure what is.

Does anyone else feel they are addicted to food/eating? Do you find no one takes you seriously about it?

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just switched to a clean diet for the second time a few days ago and the raging headache I've had tells me that yes-- I am indeed addicted to sugar.

I totally get that. If there are things (chocolate, cinnamon roasted almonds, ice cream) in my house, I can't not eat them.
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting past morning cravings. Too many years of muffins or chocolate filled croissants. I crave them so bad when I wake up.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Wow. I could have written your post. We are kindred spirits. I am guilty of every behavior you described. Like you, I feel addicted to sugar. It's funny, I have the discipline to get up and work out HARD 6 days a week before work, but I don't have the discipline to stay away from the vending machine and all of it's sweet treats. I wish I knew how to be stronger than sugar. It keeps winning.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep. And i've had weight loss surgery. If there is anything that will teach you that it's about your head, not just hunger/stomach...it's being a WLS patient and still having a tough time not grazing on all the yumminess all the time. Now i have to deal with the mental (which i thought i had dealt with - this is a surprise!)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No. I do not. I just consider myself a person who's will power and or commitment to her weight loss goals wavers occasionally.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I like sweets and cheese and and and

Now, I'm not an addict :-)

I have a longer workout the more I eat. So I am a workout addict :-)
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    Im addicted to all foods, yes i have trigger foods my boyfriend brings them home constantly, its not like he is out to get me or anything he just doesnt limit himself like i do. Not only does he help my will power grow, he also amazingly enough makes my trigger foods no longer trigger foods by doing this for example i fukin love peanut butter i could eat an entire jar in an hour.

He can sit next to me and eat peanut butter crackers alll night long and it wont phase me, why? Because i control my food, food does not control me.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Most definitely.. a diagnosed food addict, actually! Specifically, fast food.

But then I was diagnosed with a gluten allergy so literally anything that could "fall into my lap" on the way home is completely off-limits and I've never touched it since.. probably changed my life!

Of course, I still deal with weird patterns, like, HAVE to end a meal with something chocolate, and HAVE to sit down and eat a whole bag of chips and dip. Learning how to modify those patterns in tough.

I feel you!! It's a real thing. It is not about "willpower" anymore than heroin addiction is about willpower and plenty of ignorant people who have never been there try to tell you how to live your life and how to fix it. Just tune them out :)