Who has experience with Whole30 or Paleo diet?

Options
I'm interested in starting this tomorrow because I have read so much information online about how grains are harmful to the body because they contain gluten, lectins, and phytates. However, after doing even more reading, there's arguments saying that those harmful things are only harmful for people with celiac disease or that are gluten sensitive or have other specialized problems.

I have an early diagnosis of SLE (lupus), an autoimmune disease. I don't have joint problems, but I do get a rash that I control with Plaquenil. As long as I am taking that, I do not have outbreaks of the rash.

I am interested in following an anti-inflammatory diet that will also make me feel good. Wondering if the paleo diet or trying Whole30 might be right for me.

Replies

• LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.

I also have an autoimmune disease and wonder about others experience with controlling symptoms through diet.
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    starting Whole30 tomorrow!
  • jewel22887
    jewel22887 Posts: 72
    Options
    For the most part if you don't have an allergy it won't cause the swelling, but if you are worried about something wean it out of your diet then reintroduce it if you feel icky then cut it out again. Everybody is a little different. My mom's allergic to corn, apples, cantelope, carrots but she ate them her whole life before getting an allergy test. She can feel the difference when she does break down and eats them but it isn't enough to make her never eat them. These are different then her strawberry and tree nut allergies that cause her to go into shock and need an epi pen.

I have an autoimmune I got through my dad and cutting out those foods did nothing for me. Since my mom was allergic I was figured what the hey but I never felt different with them there, gone, or back, so I don't worry about it.
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was able to stick with a Whole30 for 12 days. I lost about 12 lbs. but it was strict for me. I am eating a low carb diet, with dairy but no sugar. I have found dairy doesn't affect me like sugar, so taking out the others (beans, grains, and sugar) is about the best I can do for now. It's a really really awesome program though. I'm guessing you read "It starts with Food"? That is just about the best book I have read about diet. Honestly you will feel so much better!
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For sure consult your doctor to make sure you get the right nutrition you need.

I wanted to do Paleo or Whole 30, but it was just way too restrictive. I did decide however that my stomach feels better, less bloated and gasey if I stay away from wheat. So I have cut out my breads etc. I still have corn tortillas, popcorn & chips. At first it was hard, but once I noticed how much better I felt, it is easy to say no.

I may occationally have a roll if we are at a restaurant, but that is pretty much it. I don't make pancakes or french toast anymore, but I think I might try buying some of the flour they use on paleo and trying to make pancakes out of that....

I have also heard that people lose weight on Paleo, but put it right back on if the go back to regular eating. I think paleo is meant to be a lifestyle not a diet...
  • andreamontes30
    andreamontes30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on day 16 of my Whole30....to be entirely honest I've not been a
    Miracle story of how much better I feel and what a difference, etc...I can tell you that while
    I don't physically feel all that different it has made me much more aware of how I was eating prior to this. I relied on processed food for nearly every meal of the day. It has been nice to just get back to the basics. I've had a major diet Pepsi addiction and was drinking several a day for the last 15 years... So if anything the whole30 has made me
    Kick that addiction. I highly recommend trying it and seeing how it make YOU feel. Good luck! :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't have celiacs, you can benefit from reducing gluten. To me a lot of the benefit is just in cutting out processed foods. I never thought I had a problem with dairy until I tried the Whole 30. For one, I realized I can go without cheese and secondly I realized that I have much better luck with fat loss when I don't eat dairy.

What it comes down to is the Whole 30 is an elimination diet. It is good to try eliminating different foods because you may find you have a minor intolerance, or that you just feel better without them. There is no harm in doing it.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I did the Whole 30 a couple of months ago hoping to feel better, sleep better, and not have the achy joints. I felt a bit better, just by eating healthier, but the joints didnt feel much better. I may try it again. I'm saying it cant hurt - and could really help! A friend of mine did this with her son who is autistic and has some digestive issues.. They stayed on it for a yr. It made a tremendous difference to both of them. I think they're adding back some food for him, but she's made it a life change. Go for it!!
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The almond meal pancakes are very good!! We love them with any added fruit. They're so good they don't need the butter and syrup. I did add a touch of honey though to the batter. My hubby would eat them every day.
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo for a while and tried to refine it with whole 30 but honestly ..I discovered my "cheat" meals were with plain greek yogurt or steel cut oats or lentils...so I started realizing...I was truly missing healthy foods so now I don't refuse any food..I just stay away from sugar & processed foods...period... and away from gluten as much as possible while trying to keep my carbs around 100 grams daily.... I only use almond or amaranth flour and only eat crackers made from seeds that are specifically marked gluten free...

i do have hashimoto hypothyroidism and I too get a skin rash if I dont take zyrtec..all related to the autoimmune disease...but I'm having a hard time finding a doctor or expert with nutritional expertise on these matters...but there is an abundance of info online..it's trial and error with your own body based on specific symptoms and weight loss desires...

The more I research, the more I realize meat/egg protein is over hyped with importance..I'm starting to phase out meat and increase plant proteins