Mid to Long Distance Runners - Ideal Race Weight?

Options
I have been running for enjoyment and fitness off and on for years and in just the past few months I've decided I want to take it more seriously. It's something I feel I can really dedicate myself to. The first two races I ever ran were this summer and I won 2nd in my category at both of them, so maybe I have a bit of a knack for it? Anyway, I had my first meeting with my new running coach last night and we brought up weight and body fat. I'm at a healthy 130 lbs standing 5"4, approx 22 % BF and I'm in pretty good shape. I know though, that if I want to start competing seriously, I need to drop a lot of weight. But how much? There's a point where if you're too slim, it hinders your athleticism. We agreed that I would aim for 115 lbs and 18 % BF. That's my goal in 2013. I guess we'll see how that works out and if I'm struggling, we'll adjust the plan.

Do you know your ideal race weight? How do you figure it out? How lean is too lean and how light is too light?

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here and go in the wrong direction.

Oh and by the way, I'm spending the next year focused on 5-10 KM distances. No half or full marathons for me for a while :)

Replies

• mellorunner
    Options
    Reaching ideal racing weight is the reason that I'm on here too!

I haven't seen any cut and dry formula to figure out what an individuals ideal racing weight is, because it is such an individual thing. So it comes down to trial and error, losing weight and comparing your performances at different points to see where you "click".

I know last summer when I was getting in some of my best training my weight was around 144, which is the lowest I've been and still had my BMI around 20.5. That was without any real attention to my diet. Now I'm looking to get under the 140 mark, according to my BMI I should be able to get to around 135 without an issue. But if I find that 139 feels great and 135 feels like I'm dying...then its back to 139.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think to get to the very low end of my BMI I need to be 108 lbs. I've been 108 lbs before - I was what you call a skeletor - i guess because of my broad shoulders and ribs. I wonder how I would have run if I was training then, though.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My ideal goal was my mid-range BMI (currently 21.8), and started off with the intention of getting to 155 (what I weighed 10 years ago). I currently have a nice cushion of 152, but I feel if I try to lose more I will be miserable and my training will suffer, and I'm seeing improvement in my runs, so I'm happy where I'm at. However, per what I've seen, I could stand to lose 10 more pounds to gain more of a competitive advantage. There's an adage that goes something like "if a stranger could say you look skinny, you need to lose 10 more pounds. If they say you look fine, you need to lose 20."
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • KathleenMurry
    Options

Good article! I'm a bit scared though - he suggests for my age, I should aim for 10-16% body fat. I've read that it's dangerous for women to get that low. Now, I don't plan on having kids any time soon (probably never), so maybe this can work for me. I'll see if I can get down to 18 first like my trainer suggested.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Ideal for me is probably around 118-120, but I don't particularly like the way I look at that weight. I was there last spring and I just thought I was too thin. Now, my goal is around 122-124. I think that weight will give me the right balance of asthetically pleasing and top performance. Here is a picture of me at 120.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4300500314559&l=979dae8a14
  • KathleenMurry
    Options
    Ideal for me is probably around 118-120, but I don't particularly like the way I look at that weight. I was there last spring and I just thought I was too thin. Now, my goal is around 122-124. I think that weight will give me the right balance of asthetically pleasing and top performance. Here is a picture of me at 120.

Carson, you don't look bad at all! You have a lot of muscle definition in your arms and legs. Do the extra 2-4 lbs makes that big a difference in the way you look? How does it affect your performance?

I stopped worrying about how I look. As a woman who has always had body image issues, I know I'll never be 100% happy with how I look. Even when I was at 108 lbs, my brain was still telling me I was fat. If people don't like the sight of me at a low weight, well, haters gonna hate!
  • mellorunner
    Options
    I guess I'm fortunate that I prefer the scrawny runner look. Makes things easier when you want the same thing for both appearance and performance.

And Racing Weight is a pretty good book.
  • KathleenMurry
    Options

Also, you basically just gave me permission to creep your Facebook profile. Couldn't resist. Sorry!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Carson, you don't look bad at all! You have a lot of muscle definition in your arms and legs. Do the extra 2-4 lbs makes that big a difference in the way you look? How does it affect your performance?

I stopped worrying about how I look. As a woman who has always had body image issues, I know I'll never be 100% happy with how I look. Even when I was at 108 lbs, my brain was still telling me I was fat. If people don't like the sight of me at a low weight, well, haters gonna hate!

I think they do. Maybe it was also because of the shaved head too. My wife had people asking if I was sick. I don't know. Maybe it's just a skewed perspective on what we are being told we should look like. As far as performance goes, I'm still making gains even being back at around 128 right now, so it's hard to say.

And go ahead and stalk away. I'm an open book. :)
  • KathleenMurry
    Options
    Well now that I know I'm aiming for 115 lbs....the million dollar question is how do I get there. I guess that's what most of us are here for! It's been such a struggle for me to lose weight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've been about 165-167 going into my last 2 marathons. And around 11% BF.
    Nearly 20 years ago when I ran track in college I was 163-165.

I like my current status @ 172-174 but I am strength training quite a bit & running has slacked for now. I will pick it up in winter.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I'm 5'10, 138 pounds, 16% body fat. According to this I should be between 13 - 20% body fat. I 'm at my goal weight and BF% and running has been going well.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If the 10-16% is your goal, you shoul dhave no issues. For most women it's only single didgit bf% numbers, sustained for months at a time that cause problems. If your goals begin requiring the lower bf%, the details get sticky.

The good news is that you will likely feel strongest, the most in balance, around 15% +/-. I have always called that one's 'fighting weight'. Its the weight where you feel your body performing the best overall, not neccesarily at it's lightest. While many serious endurance atheltes prefer the adage that there is no such thing as 'positive weight', always look at bf% first over lb's.

Like anyother aspect of fitness it's about exploring and finding whats best for your body. Have fun!
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Also, you basically just gave me permission to creep your Facebook profile. Couldn't resist. Sorry!

The last time I was 120 I was probably 14? Granted I'm not a runner :P

You seem like you want to be a more competitive runner. Don't just diet the weight off or you will run badly. I would increase mileage slowly. This will help your athletic performance in your runs and get your weight down.

There is a reason why 99% of competitive runners are on the very end of being skinny and thin. Less size to carry about as you run 3-10k. Less oxygen needed to go to muscles that are less needed for 3-10k running.

Forget the BMI. It is a quick and dirty way to gauge general health for sedentary people. It's not mean for competitive athletes.

Koing
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    You seem like you want to be a more competitive runner. Don't just diet the weight off or you will run badly. I would increase mileage slowly. This will help your athletic performance in your runs and get your weight down.

How much more should I increase my mileage? I'm already running 2600+ miles a year. :wink:
  • KathleenMurry
    Options

How much more should I increase my mileage? I'm already running 2600+ miles a year. :wink:

I think this poster was talking at both of us. Carson, you're at a level that I hope to achieve one day. I think you have the formula down!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I think this poster was talking at both of us. Carson, you're at a level that I hope to achieve one day. I think you have the formula down!

You are probably right. I let a little snark come out there.

It really does take time. That's the bottom line. There are no shortcuts to aerobic fitness. It's all about time on your feet over time (in the order of months and years) and consistency. This fall, it will be 10 years since I started running. It's only been in the last 5 or so that I've really gotten serious about improving. If I hadn't taken it easy for those first 5 years, I wouldn't have been able to increase mileage like I have over the last 5 years.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to finalize my weight goal for 2014. I hate that my ideal weight for achieving my strength goals varies greatly from my ideal weight for my first ultra marathon this year. Although I care more about my body fat percentage than BMI, when looking for data on champion athletes BMI is much more readily available (since it is so easy to calculate).

Anyway I thought this data (BMI of gold medal winners) would interest some of you:

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/bmis-champions

http://www.runnersworld.com/womens-running/bmis-of-champions-womens-edition