my running mojo seems to have disappeared...

Options
I'm training for a 10k, and have been shuffling along for the past 6 weeks or so. I'm still very slow but pleased that I made it through my 9km run on Sunday (furthest ever!)
however my last 2 runs have been horrible, my legs feel like blocks of wood. I'm not as out of breath as I used to be, but my lungs seem to refuse to work hard, and my whole body has been telling me to just walk.
I really feel like I've reached a plateau and instead of continuing to improve I'm just getting slower and lazier.

I don't do much apart from running, but have just done day one and two of 30DS, and the occasional set of lunges or push-ups.

Is there such a thing as a person who will never be any good at running? (Brain says no, part of me says 'yeah it's you!')

How do you guys push through a sucky running phase?

Will chocolate help?

(Also, best hamstring lengthening and calf stretching tips would be appreciated. You know, for the blocks of wood problem.)

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I know when I feel like that, I take a small break. Sometimes the body just needs a rest, even if you have rest days. Eating more chocolate won't do it and stretching won't help.

Take a few days off. In that time, maybe try to find a different route to run. I find that a combination of the two gets me motivated again. During this time of the year and in the dead of winter, I lack severe motivation due to the weather. It happens to everyone.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not the best person to comment as I've majorly lost my running mojo and am only just getting back into it. But I find that some shorter, faster runs do it for me - intervals or fartlek, no longer than 30 minutes for the total workout. Keeps your legs going but isn't a long, boring slog!
  • Madele1ne
    Madele1ne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not the best person to comment as I've majorly lost my running mojo and am only just getting back into it. But I find that some shorter, faster runs do it for me - intervals or fartlek, no longer than 30 minutes for the total workout. Keeps your legs going but isn't a long, boring slog!

My last two runs were interval runs of 30 minutes. Is there a shame smiley?
    I actually find it easier to go for a long run because I feel like I'm achieving something.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as a person who will never be any good at running? (Brain says no, part of me says 'yeah it's you!')

Yes, however chances are you're not one of them. Hawking is on this list there's only one way to find out if you are as well. Train hard and see what happens.
    How do you guys push through a sucky running phase?

depends on what the cause is. You may be overtrained, more likely you're just tired and haven't acclimated to your current level of training. If you're irritable, having a hard time sleeping and your resting heart rate is elevated you may be overtraining. Of those symptoms are missing and you're just having a hard time getting up and running, you're just tired. Cut back your weekly training load, just a little, like 10% or so and hold it there until you're more comfortable with adding some volume. If I'm sure it's just mental, I'll mix things up a bit - run a new trail, add some new type of speedwork, run with a partner if I've been running solo or run solo if I usually run with a partner.
    Will chocolate help?

Of course it will! Just don't gorge yourself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need a couple solid days of rest, sounds like classic overtraining. I would take a look at your diet, too. If your deficit is too big to support your training, that could also be the culprit.

If it were me, I would skip everything the rest of the week and pick up at your long run this weekend.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    LOL...I find that chocolate always helps! Everything! :)

I find that I go through phases too....I'm also building from 5k to 10k. I'm using the same app I used for the C25k. I'm not pushing myself too hard. If I have a lot of time and I feel energetic, I'll do one of the 10k training programs. If I'm short on time, or don't feel like pushing myself mentally, I'll do a 5k.

I've learned that I will have good runs, bad runs, and the most amazing runs! After a couple of bad runs I thought "is this as good as it will ever get?", but I took a couple of days off and the next time I went out, I had the most amazing run! I was like a machine! Strong, fast (for me), and free!! It was exhilerating! :) don't let the bad ones bring you down....they happen. There are lots of running motivational quotes you can find online that help you get some 'ooomph' back in your step. Find a running mantra to repeat when you're feeling tired. One of mine is "strong as steel, light as a feather"...I repeat that over and over until I'm past a particularily difficult part the run.

Another trick I'll use when I'm aiming to up my distance and to not worry about my pace too much is that I'll tell myself that I've got all the time in the world and that I'm just going out to "cruise". lol That way there's no pressure to keep pace and my goal will be to just run the distance I've set out for without stopping. Even if it's my slowest pace ever. :) I also get really excited to go out when I've put together a new play list. Being out for a run is my time for me, and I focus on the sights and smells of the outdoors and try to let my mind drift. I heard somewhere that your run starts when you forget that you're running. :)

When I started the C25k run I was going out on my off days from bootcamp, so I'm not sure if cross training helped or not. I have however noticed a difference in my runs since starting kickboxing a couple of months ago. I really feel it's due to gaining flexibility in my hips from the extra stretching and kicking, etc.

Don't feel discouraged! An incredible run is right around the corner for you and it will be appreciated even more because of a couple of crappy ones! Nothing beats the runners high! Happy running!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need a couple solid days of rest, sounds like classic overtraining. I would take a look at your diet, too. If your deficit is too big to support your training, that could also be the culprit.

If it were me, I would skip everything the rest of the week and pick up at your long run this weekend.

Possibly this. Also, what does your intake look like, and in particular your carb and protein levels? Endurance training requires food. You need food for recovery.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Switch things up. Run a different route. I would not stop running all together. If you're just not feeling the running spirit run shorter. Better to do a couple 3 mile runs than nothing at all! But the biggest thing I learned recently that has really kept me on track through the summer when the heat usually convinces me that I'd rather not be out on the road is finding people to run with. Find an awesome local running group (and pretty much they're all awesome) and run with them. After running solo for years, the last few months have been a revelation.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had been having yucky runs for much of July. Then I spent about 10 days under the weather. SInce I'm training for a full marathon, I can't really skip too many runs. But, I felt SO crummy last Th/Fr/Sat that i just didn't work out. No weights, no running, just a stretching video one day and lots of couch/bed time the rest. I had 10 miles to run on Sun and was *dreading* it! I got myself to the trail and put one foot in front of the other. I ran negative splits for the first 8 miles! I didn't level off until the 9th mile. It was amazing! I went from super dreading the run to having an amazing run. Of course I'm paying for it this week as Mon & today's runs have been less than stellar.

Take a break. Switch things up. Don't add extra things too quickly (30 DS). Remember that running is fun! You'll have a good run again in no time and your 10k is gonna ROCK!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's hot. Every run since June 1st has been a bit of a slog for me. Hydration is the key for me to even keep it together.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had been having yucky runs for much of July. Then I spent about 10 days under the weather. SInce I'm training for a full marathon, I can't really skip too many runs. But, I felt SO crummy last Th/Fr/Sat that i just didn't work out. No weights, no running, just a stretching video one day and lots of couch/bed time the rest. I had 10 miles to run on Sun and was *dreading* it! I got myself to the trail and put one foot in front of the other. I ran negative splits for the first 8 miles! I didn't level off until the 9th mile. It was amazing! I went from super dreading the run to having an amazing run. Of course I'm paying for it this week as Mon & today's runs have been less than stellar.

Take a break. Switch things up. Don't add extra things too quickly (30 DS). Remember that running is fun! You'll have a good run again in no time and your 10k is gonna ROCK!!!

Which marathon you training for?
  • Madele1ne
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I'm definitely not overtraining, I usually run two-three short (30-40 mins) and one long run per week and have four rest days, I think of myself as pretty lazy actually. But maybe I need to take a few extra days off (sounds nice!)

I think my TDEE is around 2200 and I've been eating 1500, eating back exercise calories burned (well ok half to 3/4 of them, I don't trust the numbers MFP gives me) and my macros for the week just gone 30 carbs/30 protein/40 fat (that would be the chocolate!) I don't feel like I'm underfed at the moment, but will take advice!

(Thinking back to when I started MFP in 2011 and I was struggling on 1200 calories, so with great trepidation I increased it to 1250 calories - lol)

It's winter here, which means beautiful running weather (sunny but not-hot days, or the occasional shower to make you feel like a hardcore runner when you venture out - just a bit too cold to do mornings!)

Cheers everyone
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    First up, 9k is an amazing achievement! Secondly, I've lost my mojo too :cry:

I got off to a great start doing C25k last year but before Christmas found my progress slowed and, like you, while my legs, lungs and heart were doing what they needed to do, something was holding me back. I have a horrible fear I'm just never going to be a proper runner but I'm also trying to see that maybe it's a mental rather than physical block.

A couple of weeks ago two of my running friends on C25k admitted they were struggling too. We've all given each other a kick up the backside, er, I mean encouraged each other, to get back on about it. We all restarted C25k three weeks ago. Right back at the beginning, taking our time and learning to fall in love with running again (I hope!). They are amazing and their support is invaluable. It would be worth you making some running friends on MFP so you can swap ideas and cheer each other on (have a look at the groups).

I know it's not the right solution for you as you are clocking up great mileage. But other things I've been trying, which you could try too, include:

* Going for shorter, faster runs (so going full pelt for 20 minutes, rather than slow and steady for 40 mins etc)
    * Downloading new music for my iPod - Public Enemy is giving me energy right now
    * Doing intervals and sprinting like I'm Usain Bolt for 20 seconds, walking for 40 secs etc
    * Doing hill work - so shorter runs but sprinting up and down hills. I feel like a use different muscles and it gets my heart rate up like nothing else. Makes running on the flat seem much easier by comparison
    * Getting out for hikes instead - I love hiking and have been working on doing longer routes than usual. I'm sure it helps my running to cross train (perhaps look at a heavy lifting programme too - I'm just using really big dumbbells at home for a full body high volume routine. Lots of squats and lunges to get my legs in shape).

I'm also looking at getting the Zombies, Run! app for my phone. Sounds fun and might mean I look forward to runs to progress the story.

I'm also interested to see what everyone else has to say. Wishing you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You've gotten excellent advice from all of the other posters. All runners go through slumps and have runs that really stink...even the elites. The important part is that you don't just give up. Keep lacing up your running shoes and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Just know that sometimes your runs won't be as wonderful as they are at other times!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    LOL...I find that chocolate always helps! Everything! :)

I find that I go through phases too....I'm also building from 5k to 10k. I'm using the same app I used for the C25k. I'm not pushing myself too hard. If I have a lot of time and I feel energetic, I'll do one of the 10k training programs. If I'm short on time, or don't feel like pushing myself mentally, I'll do a 5k.

I've learned that I will have good runs, bad runs, and the most amazing runs! After a couple of bad runs I thought "is this as good as it will ever get?", but I took a couple of days off and the next time I went out, I had the most amazing run! I was like a machine! Strong, fast (for me), and free!! It was exhilerating! :)

Find a running mantra to repeat when you're feeling tired. One of mine is "strong as steel, light as a feather"...I repeat that over and over until I'm past a particularily difficult part the run.

Another trick I'll use when I'm aiming to up my distance and to not worry about my pace too much is that I'll tell myself that I've got all the time in the world and that I'm just going out to "cruise". lol That way there's no pressure to keep pace and my goal will be to just run the distance I've set out for without stopping. Even if it's my slowest pace ever. :)

I also get really excited to go out when I've put together a new play list. Being out for a run is my time for me, and I focus on the sights and smells of the outdoors and try to let my mind drift.

Don't feel discouraged! An incredible run is right around the corner for you and it will be appreciated even more because of a couple of crappy ones! Nothing beats the runners high! Happy running!

^^^All of This. Exactly! Except my mantra is "lighter, faster, stronger".
    We must be on the same plan! LOL!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The right high booming music gets me going!
    Tip for you last question do reverse planks!
  • Madele1ne
    Options
    I just tried a reverse plank. Couldn't even get air between my butt and the carpet ...
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I just tried a reverse plank. Couldn't even get air between my butt and the carpet ...

Lol. I know the feeling! There are some simple ones here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

I also find good old-fashioned touching my toes helps too. I hang there as long as I can, then do it with my feet wide apart, moving from left to right to feel the stretch.
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You have had some good advice form other so not too much to add, but some good stretches I learnt from my running coach are:

Stand with feet together but pointing outwards, like a ballet dancer, reach up and breath in, as you exhale reach down to your toes, don't bounce or push yourself, come back up and repaet 4-5 times, you should find you get lower each time.
    Then do the same but with feet pointing in as far as you can and heels out, repeat the upward stretch and touch toes.

The other thing you might want to try is a sports massage, I had one evry 3-4 weeks late last year while training for a half maraton, it is amazing how tight your muscles are without you even feeling it.
  • Madele1ne
    Options
    My amazing husband just massaged a giant knot out of my calf... It was like turning off a switch, I wasn't even aware of how ouchy it was. Of course I did call him a few names while he did it. And make faces.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm skipping a day of 30ds (level 1 day 3) and tomorrow will bike (to work) instead of running and then do my long run at a shuffle pace on Saturday. I hope it's a good one!