Problems with daily sugar intake

Options
So I've been using Myfitnesspal to aid me with my weight loss. Since being on my diet I have really knuckled down with what I eat.
But I'm having problems with my daily sugar intake.
My daily meals (I generally stick to the same things everyday):
Breakfast: 99cal yogurt + banana/apple
Lunch: Salad (handful of lettuce, 1/4 pepper, tomato, 5 slices cucumber, 1/4 stick of celery) with half tin of tuna or 2 slices of turkey, low fat mayo + 2 fruit
Dinner: Same salad as above with grilled chicken/tuna/turkey + 1 fruit
Snacks: 3 earl grey tea (hardly any milk, no sugar) maybe a stick of celery

So essentially pretty healthy (at least, low calorie).
But on myfitnesspal's daily overview it says I'm severely over my sugar (grams in calorie) allowance. Now I know you get sugars from fruit (most foods really) but surely it shouldn't be that high? For example, the only fruit I've had today were 2 apples and a kiwi and I'm still over. The rest of the food I'm eating is practically salad. I'm under my calorie intake by a lot, yesterday I had over half of my calorie intake that I didn't use because I'd been to the gym. Even when not at the gym, I'm severely under my calorie intake. So it's not that I'm eating like a pig, regardless of whether it's good or bad food.I just feel so unmotivated right now, I feel like I can't seem to eat anything.

Replies

• iDuchaine
    iDuchaine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've decided to just ignore my sugar stuff and focus on making sure I hit my protein and fibre counts! I feel absolutely wonderful and have kept this up for a while, so I say just keep doing your thing.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    same here - I don't worry about natural sugars from fruit. Just don't eat sugar from junk food. You shoud be fihe.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    same here - I don't worry about natural sugars from fruit. Just don't eat sugar from junk food. You shoud be fihe.

Lol, sugar is sugar, just because it's natural doesn't change it's chemical structure and how the body reacts to it...
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    try the 50 million other topics about this for advice
  • i_want_abs_damnit
    Options
    Look into the GI of fruit.. berries are your best bet.

Bananas for example.. purely sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Look into the GI of fruit.. berries are your best bet.

Bananas for example.. purely sugar .

Sugar doesn't prevent weight loss nor do bananas. Unless you are diabetic, sugar shouldn't be a worry at all.
  • Afrobehn
    Afrobehn Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Lowering my sugar intake is a priority because I'm borderline diabetic. I'm having better luck lowering my calories than I am my sugar intake. I never realisd fruit has so much sugar.
  • redhometia
    redhometia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I looked at mine and most of the overage was from fruit, which is essential to a healthy body and is not refined sugar, so I'm not going to worry about it. Lets see what happens. Have you weighed since beginning? I have only been at it for two days, but seem to be getting more motivated as time goes by. You need to get a little more creative and a little more varied or you will get bored and loose your momentum. Think of things you like and post as if you were having them for a meal, then after you see their info you can delete them and try something else until you find the best alternatives!! Good Luck!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Lowering my sugar intake is a priority because I'm borderline diabetic. I'm having better luck lowering my calories than I am my sugar intake. I never realisd fruit has so much sugar.

If you add more lean proteins (meats) and fats, that will help. And it will help you keep your calories where it needs to be.
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're getting it from fruit instead of cookies or candy, then don't worry about it. I'm always over my sugar limit but you also have to take into account all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, etc that you are also getting from the fruit :D
  • lovetocook55
    lovetocook55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have only started a week ago but am finding the same thing..my sugar intake is always over and I too eat most of the sugar from fruit..berries and apples but I am losing weight so have decided to try to watch the sugar but not be too concerned about it
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I think as long as you're getting it from fruit instead of cookies or candy, then don't worry about it. I'm always over my sugar limit but you also have to take into account all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, etc that you are also getting from the fruit :D

From a weight loss perspective, it doesn't matter if you get it from cookies or fruit, it's all about calories. Heck, I hit all my macros and micro's for the most part and I eat a klondike almost every night and occasionally, milkyways, etc..