Need ideas of low calorie snacks

Options
Hello..I am new to this site. I have been put on a 1200 day calorie intake and need ideas for low calories snacks. I must tell you that part of my problem is I'm a very picky eater. Thank You!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Almost definitely your 1200 calorie limit is too few calories. There are only a very few rare cases where 1200 is an appropriate target. Get a better target, and you'll have an easier time finding foods that meet your needs.
  • Over50ToBeFit
    Over50ToBeFit Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you like Pretzels? They are low calorie and a great snack food. I like to dip in mustard.
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    Fruit is low calorie and sweet. 1200 calories is the bare minimum, though. If it's what MFP suggested or your doctor suggested, go with it. Otherwise find out your BMR and adjust according to that. Eating too little can actually make you GAIN weight.
  • wjack459
    wjack459 Posts: 17
    Options
    unsalted nuts or almonds are good
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For snacks almost everyday I have yogurt and fresh raspberries or a pure protein bar (200 cal, 20g protein, 6g fat, 16g carb)
  • downeyek
    downeyek Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just bought these 100 calorie nut snack bags from Emeralds. Got 'em at Target. It's kinda nice to have them portioned out already so I can just grab one and go or leave them in my car/purse.
  • klo1335
    klo1335 Posts: 13
    Options
    There is so much out there. carrot sticks and hummus, popcorn, any kind of fruit, low-fat cheese, low-fat yogurt (but I stay away from the light kinds because of the fake sugar in them). Celery and natural pb, craisins, raisins, low-fat cottage cheese and any kind of fruit. Nuts in moderation.

HTH!
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    I have peanuts, lots of popcorn, motts natual applesauce, small individual cups of mixed fruit, chicken broth, Newton Fruit Thins (Cherry and Vanilla), Snyder's braided pretzels twists and goldfish. Here's how I break it down when I'm snacking. I don't always eat the full serving size:

Newton Fruit Thins: 2 thins for 93 cals
    Snyder's Pretzel Twists: 5 twists for 85 cals
    Goldfish: 35 pieces for 95 cals
    Individual bag of Orville's naturals buttery salt & cracked pepper: 1 bag for 160 cals
    Mott's Natural Applesauce: 1 individually packaged cup for 50 cals
    Chicken broth: 1 cup for 38 cals (depends on brand)
    Del Monte mixed fruit: 1 cup for 70 cals
    Planters Spanish Redskin Peanuts with sea salt: 27 pieces for 85 cals

I also like string cheese, cereal right out of the box (try to stick to more healthier brands), cottage cheese in moderation, dried fruit.

I add fresh fruit and veggie as well as much as possible, but I keep these in my office at work for a variety of choices. I get bored eatting the same things over and over again.
  • Cheermom2x
    Options
    Almost definitely your 1200 calorie limit is too few calories. There are only a very few rare cases where 1200 is an appropriate target. Get a better target, and you'll have an easier time finding foods that meet your needs.

This calorie target was given to me by my doctor so hopefully I will be able to work with it but Thank you for your reply :)
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too only have 1200 calories, and I do better when I don't snack at all. I stick with 4 300 calorie MEALS, or a similar mix, that will sustain me to the next meal. When I snack it does not curb my hunger at all, so I just eat more anyway. Most successful is a 200 cal bkfst, 400 cal lunch 300 cal snack and 300 cal dinner. snack is before or after dinner just depending on how long the 400 cal lunch takes me. I lose everytime on this without starving myself.
  • thinlizzy608
    Options
    I have peanuts, lots of popcorn, motts natual applesauce, small individual cups of mixed fruit, chicken broth, Newton Fruit Thins (Cherry and Vanilla), Snyder's braided pretzels twists and goldfish. Here's how I break it down when I'm snacking. I don't always eat the full serving size:

Newton Fruit Thins: 2 thins for 93 cals
    Snyder's Pretzel Twists: 5 twists for 85 cals
    Goldfish: 35 pieces for 95 cals
    Individual bag of Orville's naturals buttery salt & cracked pepper: 1 bag for 160 cals
    Mott's Natural Applesauce: 1 individually packaged cup for 50 cals
    Chicken broth: 1 cup for 38 cals (depends on brand)
    Del Monte mixed fruit: 1 cup for 70 cals
    Planters Spanish Redskin Peanuts with sea salt: 27 pieces for 85 cals

I also like string cheese, cereal right out of the box (try to stick to more healthier brands), cottage cheese in moderation, dried fruit.

I add fresh fruit and veggie as well as much as possible, but I keep these in my office at work for a variety of choices. I get bored eatting the same things over and over again.

These snack ideas are fantastic and i even wrote down 6 of them for myself! LOL!
    You can also try rice crisps (a.k.a. Quaker mini rice cakes) because a serving of the ones i have is 9 cheddar crisps for 70 calories!!
    You can also make sugar free Jello and add some lite cool whip...just watch serving size ;)
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hummus with either sliced cucumber or bell pepper :)

If you eat meat one slice of bread(around 45 cals) with 1/2 oz low sodium turkey and alfalfa sprouts

One serving of boiled shrimp in a ziplock, shake a tiny bit of chili powder and squeeze one lime wedge into the bag and shake around

PopChips :)

Spinach with sliced strawberries, goat cheese, jicama and a little balsamic vinegar
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    unsalted nuts or almonds are good

I second that!
  • Cheermom2x
    Options
    Thank you for providing my with some ideas. Yes, 1200 calories is a very low target to begin with but that is what was given to me by my doctor. I am normally a petite built and have never really had to diet before now. However, due to a thyroid problem I have gained 40 pound in the last 4 years with 20 of them coming on rapidly in the last 9 months due to a medication I was taking. So I am gradually stopping the med and will be trying to loss weight to see if I can get realitively close to my idea weight for my body size. I would welcome any ideas and advise to help me reach my goals.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hummus with either sliced cucumber or bell pepper :)

If you eat meat one slice of bread(around 45 cals) with 1/2 oz low sodium turkey and alfalfa sprouts

One serving of boiled shrimp in a ziplock, shake a tiny bit of chili powder and squeeze one lime wedge into the bag and shake around

PopChips :)

Spinach with sliced strawberries, goat cheese, jicama and a little balsamic vinegar

These are all foods I eat! LOL I'm gonna try that shrimp thing! Thanks
  • adnamalegna
    adnamalegna Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Strawberries.
    Though not great for your teeth- If I want something crunchy, I take ice and squeeze a wedge of lemon over it and crunch away. it's like 1 calorie. Pretty satisfying too, plus- it's water!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of those Laughing Cow cream cheese wedges. 45 calories per wedge (some varieties are only 35 calories) and I eat them with veggies, Special K chips, or on whole wheat toast or half an English muffin.

Beef jerky is great if you can find the low sodium varieties.

Veggies and hummus, I think everyone's already said that!

Greek yogurt. I get the smaller 4 oz cups for snacks.

Cottage cheese with some fruit on the side.

Apples & PB2.