CLOTHES!!! Help!

Options
I've lost a few pant sizes. From a 24 to a 16. I've bought jeans and shirts as I go down a size but the cost is killing me. My jeans now are a size 18 and are too baggy and they are driving me crazy.

I'm happy about the bagginess and going down sizes but I can't afford it anymore. Where can I get cheap jeans (clothes) as I'm dropping sizes?

Do tailor's work with jeans?

Help!

Replies

• buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Do you have a local Salvation Army store or other thrift store? Any of your friends/relatives looking to get rid of unwanted clothes? Is Wal-mart/Kmart out of the question? Craigslist or Ebay will sometimes have people who list a whole box or more of clothes of a particular size.

HTH - and keep up the great work!
    J
  • CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A tailor will cost you an arm and leg. Go to discount stores, consignment shops and goodwill. Those have some good and cheap choices. Good luck shopping
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK or US?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    you can get them altered at most cleaners. You can also buy them at thrift stores as a temp while you are changing sizes.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Do you have a local Salvation Army store or other thrift store? Any of your friends/relatives looking to get rid of unwanted clothes? Is Wal-mart/Kmart out of the question? Craigslist or Ebay will sometimes have people who list a whole box or more of clothes of a particular size.

HTH - and keep up the great work!
    J

If your looking on ebay for these things why not put a box of your old stuff on too? Me and My sister in law did a car boot sale in the uk and people went mad for the bigger sizes she shifted a whole load of clothes.
  • MBrannon
    Options
    Thrift stores, and consignment shops are a great place to shop. Most of my business dress clothes are from these types of stores. I have more 'high end brands' from these stores than I could ever do on my budget. Wash it when you get home, and no one knows where you got it. I once got 6 blazers for $4 each, then with dry cleaning them for $5 each, I had $9 blazers, and I looked good.
    Make it a fun event looking for them in these types of stores.
  • dore0021
    Options
    I've been consignment shopping as well!! It's wonderful!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    cleaners, tailors (they work with anything), and thrift stores. also do you have a store that you can sell old clothes to instead of giving them to charity, i know some people prefer charity but think of it this way, by selling them the charity is yourself, the formerly fat girl who deserves clothes that fit her, you'd give to a charity like that wouldnt you!? :)

good luck and congrats on the weight loss! :D
  • zeorimer
    Options
    I have the same issue :D I've gone down 2 times and i found that old navy has jeans that fit perfect for $19 maybe try that :d Grats on the loss!
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US
  • bree1609
    Options
    I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say that I'm going through the same thing, and it's driving me crazy. Sure, I'm loving the weight loss, but I absolutely hate feeling uncomfortable in my clothes, whether they're too tight or too baggy. I'm glad you posted this! I'll be reading all other's advice :-)
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't know why I didn't think of goodwill or salvation army. I'll have to try there. Thanks for the great ideas.
    Why does losing weight cost so much money? :sad:
    It's well worth it though!
  • iceangel055
    Options
    I am in the same boat, dropping the sizes is feeling great, but why pay the full price for clothes that will maybe last a month. I am looking into the local Goodwills/Salvation Army locations near me. Another idea is a program called Freecycle, depending on where you live and if they have it. www.freecycle.com - You find the local one near you and join. Then people post all kinds of posts for stuff they are wanting to get rid of, and it is all Free. Sometimes you can get it where you find someone who is looking to get rid of clothes.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When i am losing weight and changing clothes sizes I always buy and sell on Ebay. I find it a very cost effective way of buying and selling clothes and also it's very therapeutic selling clothes which are too big knowing that i can soon sell them again when I drop the next size down :)

Although expensive, it is a luxury problem to have, shopping for new clothes when you have lost weight - I can't wait to have that problem again :)

Best wishes
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean sooooo expensive.

I do shop at Goodwill and Salvation army and that saves me money on my casual cloths. I have a trick I got from "Real Simple" about saving money on nice work cloths. I bought lovely wooden hangers at Ikea, about 25 shirt hangers and 10 pant hangers. The pant hangers can have one pair of pants or two skirts hanging from them. But that's it. I fill these hangers, but if I want something new, something old has to go. But now, in my change from one size to another, I have about 6 empty pant hangers and 15 empty shirt hangers. It's going to cost a fortune to fill them up, and if I thought I was going to have to fill them up twice more, I'd be really freaking out.

All that said I'll take this problem, I feel great about myself trying on cloths for the first time in a very long time. Shopping is less of a chore. I even understand why some people find it fun.:tongue:
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    i actually just had a friend from here send me a box of old clothes that were to big for her... and they worked great.. look around and see if anyone is willing to send you old clothes that they can't fit into anymore that are maybe your size!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    i actually just had a friend from here send me a box of old clothes that were to big for her... and they worked great.. look around and see if anyone is willing to send you old clothes that they can't fit into anymore that are maybe your size!

This is a great idea ...
  • boomboom011
    Options
    i was going to suggest a clothes swap with some of the MFP members.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/clothingXchange/start

that is the link for a MFP exchange someone made... I think not a lot of people have signed up or used it yet but its at least out there for those interested.
  • redkoolayde
    Options
    Salvation Army, Thrift Stores or Goodwill. You can never be too proud to get hand me downs. Another neat thing to do is have a clothes swap party with friends. What it is, clean out yoru closet on what doesn't fit and have others bring theirs over. Swap through piles on what each wants. Once they and you have gotten what you want you can donate to the local thrift stores... Just an idea!